The UK Malifaux League

magicpockets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Swansea would also be up for this, so that gives one more Southern team.

Myself, Justin and Gavin are almost a full team so with the addition of a fourth player of which we have plenty we could raise a team.

Sounds good and I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Luke.

Thanks mate, I'll keep you posted

Depending on how the rules come together this may not be permitted...

So if there's 4 players in a club, say Stockport, and only 4 players, then one of them can't make it then we can't draft in reserves? If the rules haven't been written yet surely some leniancy can be made to get more of the community involved? :P

So if there's 4 players in a club, say Stockport, and only 4 players, then one of them can't make it then we can't draft in reserves? If the rules haven't been written yet surely some leniancy can be made to get more of the community involved? :P

Hi, you would be able to draft in reserves/subs etc from your own club just not random players. Re the rules, you'll only be able to play for one club in any year and only for a club you're a member of. Now, if Mitch was to be a member of the Stockport club as well as Maelstrom... )

But if Maelstrom don't have a team, then surely he can be a member of Stockport? My example of Stockport having 4 players is fairly realistic, I doubt I could guarantee all 4 of us are going to be free every 'fixture' whereas with Harrogate they have about, what, 8 gamers that they can pick from depending on availability? So if Mitch ONLY plays for Stockport next year is that OK?

If you were planning on winning with Stockport there had to be better choices than Mitch?

Luke.

Stole my gag there lol

Craig - what I don't want to happen is it turn into a "team" event rather than a "club" event, there's already the team GT which I started and Jo is running to cater to that. This is about the best club and I don't see how having a player in your team who doesn't play at your club fits in with that.

Re numbers, we may end up with teams of three to make it easier for people to field full teams - this is all very tentative at the minute. However, what I do know is that once we decide on numbers that there will be no space for "we might not be able to field a full team each time" - that's not fair on the other teams.

If we get more than six I'll make a decision based on the clubs interested, their players (yes, looking at rankings) and practicality. However it's worth bearing in mind this is to find the best club, so skill level of the teams is very important and the final six will simply be the best contenders.

Is this for real? Are you saying that a club can only take part if it subscribes to the Rankings? Surely a club event can be friendly affair where you play each other to make friends and play new people rather than just go all out for the win.

I would have thought there was scope to widen the concept of 'best' away from purely the one who posts the biggest win.

I think what Magic was trying to say was . . . If there are more than 1 division's worth of teams, then they have to be divided one way or another. Whether that be location, rankings, random, or some other way of division would have to be decided at the time. But I get the feeling the overall aim of this event is to have fun, and gain bragging rights. So, essentially rankings would just be 1 of the many possible ways of splitting the teams into divisions.

Always up for some bragging rights - lol.

Does seem like a good idea though teams of 3 may seem more feasible from where I am sitting as long as their is enough warning of a game so times can be booked off work etc.

Would rather not travel the whole length of the country to play a game if could be helped but if it is only two or three times a year that shoudn't be too bad. Will be good practice for when Canterbury Crusaders club a team together for this years GT.

Is this for real? Are you saying that a club can only take part if it subscribes to the Rankings? Surely a club event can be friendly affair where you play each other to make friends and play new people rather than just go all out for the win.

I would have thought there was scope to widen the concept of 'best' away from purely the one who posts the biggest win.

I think what Magic was trying to say was . . . If there are more than 1 division's worth of teams, then they have to be divided one way or another. Whether that be location, rankings, random, or some other way of division would have to be decided at the time. But I get the feeling the overall aim of this event is to have fun, and gain bragging rights. So, essentially rankings would just be 1 of the many possible ways of splitting the teams into divisions.

Hi, firstly Tim is right - rankings are not a condition and the games will not affect rankings. Rankings will simply give us an indication of how good teams are when deciding starting leagues IF it turns out there are more than 6 teams who want to join in.

However I will stress at this point that this event is aimed at clubs competing for bragging rights of being "the best" so whilst I agree "a club event can be friendly affair where you play each other to make friends" this league IS going to be competitive and it will have the "best" teams involved.

I accept that isn't going to be for everyone, but the event is what the event is.

Always up for some bragging rights - lol.

Does seem like a good idea though teams of 3 may seem more feasible from where I am sitting as long as their is enough warning of a game so times can be booked off work etc.

Would rather not travel the whole length of the country to play a game if could be helped but if it is only two or three times a year that shoudn't be too bad. Will be good practice for when Canterbury Crusaders club a team together for this years GT.

I'm leaning more towards teams of 3 as I think this will be more inclusive and more practical. And I'm aware of the travel issues so will think about how we can mitigate that once we get the teams decided.

And good thinking on practice, you guys need it.... :P

Hi,

I polled the Malifaux players at Clapham and we have voted overwhelmingly against taking part in the league.

Please remove us from the list of interested clubs.

Thanks

Personally I think it's a shame that something with the potential to unite is already dividing.

Hi,

Personally I think it's a shame that something with the potential to unite is already dividing.

I find myself agreeing with this sentiment. The fact that players think it's so important to win at all costs is a real shame and just not what I'd hoped Malifaux would be about.

I look forward to non-competative events where those not worried about being regarded as the best can play a game for fun.

I find myself agreeing with this sentiment. The fact that players think it's so important to win at all costs is a real shame and just not what I'd hoped Malifaux would be about.

I look forward to non-competative events where those not worried about being regarded as the best can play a game for fun.

Good man! Most of the events are ranked/WAAC ones, but theres a hopefully a couple of good, different style of play, ones on the prospect ive calendar for next year.

Edited by Fenrir

Theres a hopefully a couple of good, different style of play, ones on the prospective calendar for next year.

Indeed, check out Clousseau's recent thread on his potential non-ranked, possibly story based, event in February. I suspect it will be significantly overbooked.

Personally, I don't see clubs travelling the length of the UK for a friendly non-competitive matchup. Magicpockets league does exactly what it says on the tin - I'd be interested in how you guys propose identifying the "best" club in a non-competitive, friendly club league.

Adam - With the definition of a "club team" sounding like it is, there may not be a Leeds team, as I don't believe there's an actual club that the local players attend any more.

Mike

After attendding a few tournaments this year I am under the impression that the majority of people play like this any way

Excellently put Ade, the 2011 events have been a great laugh all round, with no sign if the cut-throat atmosphere that a lot of people who haven't been to one seem to think they'll find if they do.

I'd never played in a tournament before this year and I didnt (and still don't) consider myself particularly competitive, but all of my favourite matchups to date have been at tournaments. I think a lot of people are missing out by not giving them a chance.

Mike

Good man! Most of the events are ranked/WAAC ones, but theres a hopefully a couple of good, different style of play, ones on the prospect ive calendar for next year.

Clapham will be running "Prospect II - The Siege of Prospect" in April 2012 which will be a narrative driven non ranked event.

"In Prospect, everyone is a loser"

Excellently put Ade, the 2011 events have been a great laugh all round, with no sign if the cut-throat atmosphere that a lot of people who haven't been to one seem to think they'll find if they do.

+1

Good to hear about the Prospect II event in London and Dave's ideas for Northampton.

The more ways we have to enjoy Malifaux the better :D

PS: If you Leeds guys are feeling homeless now LWGC's shut down you're welcome at Harrogate on a Thursday night.

Edited by mythicFOX

Adam - With the definition of a "club team" sounding like it is, there may not be a Leeds team, as I don't believe there's an actual club that the local players attend any more.

Mike, Leeds is a difficult one because you're more of a club without a venue than not actually being a club. In essence if you can find a venue for your home matches then there's no issue with you guys having a team.

On the whole "club" issue, if anyone has some ideas of how to make this more inclusive I'd be keen to hear them. My concern is avoiding players from different clubs making "super teams" (i.e. MythicFox, UKRocky, Stryder and Neverata) with no basis other than winning. What I don't want though is to exclude clubs like Leeds (as Mike explained above) and players like Mitch who can't find enough players in Mansfield.

Re Clapham, thanks for letting me know guys. Be a shame not to have you involved as you'd make some good warm up matches for the better clubs. However I understand you're worried about it being too competitive and the level too high for you and that's fine, not every event is right for everyone.