The Road to Adepticon 2012

Tauwolf

Photo bomb!

post-8704-13911922998008_thumb.jpg

Fullborer questions Tauwolf's move as he plays his first game of the tournament against someone we demoed for last night.

post-8704-1391192299632_thumb.jpg

Practicing for the tournament on Saturday night.

post-8704-13911922997574_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to start a demo game for Adam and Brooke from Iowa.

post-8704-13911922996752_thumb.jpg

LFG (me!) demoing.

post-8704-13911922998491_thumb.jpg

"THE PUPPETS ARE SO ADORABLE!!!"

post-8704-13911922997172_thumb.jpg

Winners!

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orange shirt is Sean Overton aka Shadowopal. Sporting the lovely Adepticon Marshal(aka Judge) shirt.

I think you got the rest right. Lady on the ends name escapes me but I believe she is Hijynx's wife. Either that or I am completely confused about who was who on Sunday. Which is possible given the lack of sleep I had by that day.

Yep, that's hijynx's wife, and that's hijynx sitting next to her in the 2nd pic. She was a scary opponent for the tournament, having just learned the game the night before and was already pretty dang good! And I promise we were having way more fun than it looks in those pics lol. Where were all our smiles???? lol

I ended up winning the tournament, having beaten LFG in the 2nd game in probably our best, most intense game yet. :)

Adam is on these forums, too (Vmag). It was great meeting him and Brooke on Saturday night. Hopefully we can all hook up at next year's adepticon.

That captain morgan pic is hilarious lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5223[/ATTACH]

Practicing for the tournament on Saturday night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5225[/ATTACH]

LFG (me!) demoing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5229[/ATTACH]

"THE PUPPETS ARE SO ADORABLE!!!"

That, or just that in all the above "quoted" photos there are beer bottles on the table. I didn't realize that was how the puppets rolled. I have been doing it wrong all this time :Sad_Puppet1:

Thanks for the pictures. I definitely plan on being there next year.

For those of you who haven't been to Adepticon, understand that the room you are seeing in those pics is just one medium sized room for gaming for the event at its most empty (around midnight?), used for Warhammer tournaments and Wyrd games. There are two other rooms of that size for historicals and privateer press games; a few smaller conference rooms for games like Blood Bowl, Lord of the Rings, Battlefleet Gothic, and Epic; a massive room for the vendor hall and 40k tournaments - able to hold the almost 500 players of the team tournament (a true gaming spectacle); and a whole hall's worth of gaming going on in the hallways!

It may *only* be an 1800-person convention, but there's more gaming at one Adepticon than most people will see in a lifetime!

That's how Steve, Eric, and I made the game...

Design a puppet, take a shot. Design a puppet, take a shot. Design a puppet...

Can hardly blame people for playing it that way. We like to market it as a beer and pretzels game without that pretzels.

Can I help design the next wave of puppets? :1_Happy_Puppet2:

Seriously though, we had a great time.. I ended up 2-1 overall. Tauwolf and I had a seriously BRUTAL match. "Oh, you're going to kill this guy? Then I kill that one." It was just trading massive blows over and over. In the end, it came down to whose puppets could last the longest, and mine were still hungover from the night before.

Fullborer and I had a slightly less exciting match that ended with me taking his only workbench in 7 animations. The teddy army was scary because if you kill one teddy, you only make the others stronger. It would have been a very interesting match if I hadn't squeaked in there for the bench.

Hijynks' wife and I had a pretty low key game. I had an opportunity to win, but I filled her in on the fact that her only workbench was ripe for the taking, so she quickly protected it and proceeded to destroy 2 of my puppets. At that point, she had me on the run, but I was able to fanangle my way to the back of the board and put the last rip on Lady J to win. I was sweating for a few animations, though!

The entire weekend was ripe with puppetry. We taught around 6 people how to play. One played in the tournament and two ended up buying the game (Hi Brooke and Adam!). All in all, a great event! Hope we can get more people for next year, or maybe just some informal puppetry earlier in the con.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

... aaaand I just noticed the bunny ears from Fullborer in the last picture. THIS MEANS (PUPPET) WAR!

That's how Steve, Eric, and I made the game...

Design a puppet, take a shot. Design a puppet, take a shot. Design a puppet...

I think any future designs should follow the steps below:

1. Everyone starts with a bottle, a shot glass, pencil, and piece of paper.
  2. Everyone takes a shot for good measure.
  3. Everyone makes a name for a puppet and an action they will perform.
  4. Everyone takes a shot and passes their paper to the person to their left.
  5. Everyone looks at the name, and has a minute (maybe two) to draw a picture of a puppet doing something. Pictures should illustrate the name and action from step 3.
  6. Everyone takes a shot, folds their paper so the name / action is no longer showing, and passes their paper to the person to their left.
  7. Now, everyone looks at the illustration of the puppet performing an action (takes a shot for good measure) and writes an Ability that describes that illustration.
  8. Papers are once again folded (now only the text for the Ability / Action is showing), shots are taken, and papers are passed.

This continues until the papers can be folded no more. At this time, papers are unfolded and the puppets are ready for play :1_Happy_Puppet2:

... aaaand I just noticed the bunny ears from Fullborer in the last picture. THIS MEANS (PUPPET) WAR!

Heh. I'm such a scamp! :1_Happy_Puppet1:

also - Bring it! What are you going to do?! eliminate me in LESS than 7 activations?!

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Low Puppet on the Totem Pole…

Or “I thought you’d played this game before?”

Whew, so that’s Adepticon #10 in the can and I’m still tired.

As Tauwolf observed, Sunday events at Adepticon tend to suffer from the fact that people can (and often do) play games almost constantly for the preceding 2, sometimes 2.5 days. By Sunday morning a lot of people just think “What’d I pay for that event? Feh. I’d rather sleep in and have waffles.”

Many thanks to Nilus and Shadowopal for working all weekend, hanging in there, and running PW despite the low attendance. (I covet that PW banner, Nilus)

I sincerely hope the low turnout isn’t going to put a damper on future years. And certainly not because I’m about to burst my stitches with plaque-envy (I’m looking at you, Tauwolf). I have my shiny button eye on that Master Tailor next year. (so I’d better start painting next week).

Since we only had 4 people (and one a new conscript), it was a very low key event – which was exactly what I needed, frankly. After obsessing over the organization of Adepticon’s hobby seminars for the last several months, Puppet Wars turned out to be just the gaming panacea I needed.

That said; I completely dropped the ball in PW prep. :1_Exhausted_Puppet:

I ended up borrowing Tauwolf’s freshly painted Marcus and knowing I wasn’t going to finish my crew, I had a local commission painter Brian “Top Flighte” Burchett knock out seven teddies for me. Add in my Grateful Teddy and I’d have quite the Teddy Bear Picnic. With no experience using that Toy Box, it was likely to result in a series of heavy-handed beatings [edit: correct!], but it sounded fun. When I get a chance, I’ll photo the bears – he did a really good job, especially for the time/cost involved.

My first game was against Tauwolf. He killed me slowly, as he is wont to do, eliminating bear after bear until Marcus finally went down. I got a little experience upgrading my bears with heart-patches, but I don’t think I ever really threatened him.

My second game was against Hijynx’s wife who I know a bit from the local store. Tauwolf and LFG had only just introduced her to the game that weekend so as I was learning my crew and she was learning in general, it was a pretty light game. Like LFG, I pointed out a few things I was doing that she might want to watch out for and it was all very relaxed. I ended up “winning” the game, but it was truly an accident. The right bear was in the right place with the attachments and the right cards in my hand and I was able to power through a bodyguard and devour Lady J with the double-tome Swallow Whole Action. The teddies certainly have potential, but my “win” was only as intentional as accidents get.

My last game was with LFG, who I don’t think I’ve ever played 1-on-1 against before.

I had no idea what it would be like to be the sole focus of her cheerful, puppish wrath.

I kid you not, she eliminated me in 7 activations!

“Tra la la, I have teddies, tra la la – ARGH, I’m dead!

I suppose that’s what you get when you play a crew for the third time ever against a puppette master assassin like LFG. I thought I sort of saw her attack forming, but in trying to avoid threats 1, 2, and 3; I was eliminated by threat 4 which was a direct result of my own foolishness. feh. Perhaps I’ll play better tonight. Perhaps.

All in all, it was a good event for me and like I said, just the soothing positive-gaming experience I needed that day. With eight teddies painted and ready, I’ll definitely be trying a few more most- or all-Teddy Shoe Boxes in the future.

:1_Happy_Puppet1:

Whew, so that’s Adepticon #10 in the can and I’m still tired.

As Tauwolf observed, Sunday events at Adepticon tend to suffer from the fact that people can (and often do) play games almost constantly for the preceding 2, sometimes 2.5 days. By Sunday morning a lot of people just think “What’d I pay for that event? Feh. I’d rather sleep in and have waffles.”

I woke up Sunday morning and said "Why did I plan events for today? Feh. I'd rather sleep in and have waffles." Sadly my wife kicked me out of bed, reminded me the only way I was getting waffles was if I made them and then told me to get back to the con. Apparently her and my son were enjoying there Mom and son weekend.

Glad you guys had such a good time. Not sure what we are doing with Puppet Wars next year, but there will be some form of event for sure(mostly because then I can show off that banner everyone covets :) ). We will get a better gauge after Gencon and plan from there. I still think Sean's Dollhouse of doom event has potential if we can figure out the logistics.

I like the beer and pretzels part, but that kind of game is less than 30 minutes to me. PW is a bit long and too much thinking for a Beer and Pretzels game IMHO. However, it is a great game to play in an hour or so.

For me everything is beer and pretzels (well whisky and cake), Puppet Wars, filmmaking, dissertation writing, all fair game =D