The Road to Adepticon 2012

Tauwolf

@Brian: One Sorrow isn't that great anyway, but you'll definitely want to pick something else out-of-suit (Seamus tends to need his crows). Maybe consider Moleman, he's only 5 tomes (not hard to animate), and is Df12 on impassable markers. Great late game with Pop Gun and either Rad Sword or Mouldy Stuffing - resilient, and tough enough to influence your opponent's movement (is why Pop Gun comes in handy)

I tend to form my Toybox differently depending on whether I'm playing versus a singular or multiple opponent/s. In multi-player games I like to have reserves, so I take 2 December Acolytes but don't bring the 2nd out until the first is removed (unless I'm feeling confident). As I've mentioned elsewhere, I like cheap and nasty and stick to Molemen, Guild Hound, Acolytes, etc. For upgrades, Rotten Belle and Ronin, while stealing from the enemy as much as possible. For Sidekicks I love me some Joss and Misaki, though Rusty sometimes sneaks in..

Thanks for the Moleman suggestion! I'll give it a try in my next game.

As for the multiple/single opponent lists, I *believe* the way the tournament is formatted is it will be a mix of 2 and 4 player games, but I honestly don't know where I heard that. Maybe our wonderful tournament organizer can shed some light on the matter? :)

@DaveyP -- That's a great start for the board. I need to get mine going, too.

@fullborer -- I vote a 2nd Rattler, Grateful Teddy, and a 2nd Teddy of your choice.

Edited by Tauwolf

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DaveyP, did you cut those hexes yourself? Just finished building a wooden box for my puppets (pictures hopefully to come soon when I decide how I want to finish it, its just a big wooden toy box at the moment) but this would be an awesome addition to the box's cover. Could attach the board to the bottom of the cover, and just flip it over to play on...The gears are spinning in my head, I think I am going to have to do this now.

Any recommendations?

3 sorrows is a must, in my opinion.

Also, I would seriously consider dropping the hooded rider fore bete noire. Her upgrade is fantastic for Pandora.

If you go that route, would consider a witchling to remove rips from Pandora.

Also mature nephilim and silurids are always good.

Edited by Justin

Also, I would seriously consider dropping the hooded rider fore bete noire....

Also mature nephilim and silurids are always good.

Have you seen his Hooded Rider? Remember, we're as much (if not more!) into lookin' good as playin' good lol.

http://wyrd-games.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4192

I love the nephilim for Pandora. It's mean.

This is a great thread guys, its a lot of fun to read.

@Fullborer - I've been playing marcus a bit and I would suggest the Ice Golem, it along with Joss can do a decent amount of Auto Damage. I also really like Rusty Alyce or Misaki to fill in as your spare Side-kick. Rusty is a shooter, which you dont really have otherwise. And Misaki can activate on any card, so you can always have her running around doing stuff.

I have noticed my lack of ranged attacks and I'm definitely tempted by the Ice Golem - three Stitches and a Range 3 Free Action (initially thought that was an Attack). Interesting.

I'm now officially more tempted by the Ice Golem.

And I just thought of a fun conversion for him. Tempted +1.

I'm not as sold on Misaki because of the card cost on activation. Marcus doesn't go through cards like Pokey Vik (no one does), but I still find myself short handed pretty regularly. Maybe I need to try her out and see how it actually plays.

I have a very healthy respect for Alice (thanks to LaFemmeGeekita) - she's just too dangerous to ignore (Alice, not LFG), and her skirt is a great attachment...

but yesterday I had a kind of "group conversion" idea for the box of Teddies that should be under my unadorned aluminum Festivus pole later this month, so I'm also super tempted by that...

:happypuppet1

This is a great thread guys, its a lot of fun to read.

@Fullborer - I've been playing marcus a bit and I would suggest the Ice Golem, it along with Joss can do a decent amount of Auto Damage. I also really like Rusty Alyce or Misaki to fill in as your spare Side-kick. Rusty is a shooter, which you dont really have otherwise. And Misaki can activate on any card, so you can always have her running around doing stuff.

This is really good stuff guys.

I am working on the official rules for the Puppet Wars tournament now and they should be up on the Adepticon site before Christmas.

Right now I am thinking if we get the full 24 people that we are going to run three rounds.

1st round is 1 on 1

2nd round is 3 way

and the last round will be a 4 way

I am leaning towards a set shoebox for the entire tournament.

Still working out scoring and such.

I have a very healthy respect for Alice (thanks to LaFemmeGeekita) - she's just too dangerous to ignore (Alice, not LFG), and her skirt is a great attachment.

I may have spoken too soon. Last night's puppish combat saw LFG smack down three of us again. Admittedly one of the players was entirely new to PW (but not to gaming) and Tauwolf and I seemed to very effectively forget how to play several times, but she wasn't even using her usual Pokey Vik (Pandora FTW).

That was my first use of puppet Lady J and a ram-heavy force and I flubbed it a couple times. I think you need to plan her buff abilities (as opposed to randomly flailing about as I tend to do).

But it occurs to me that I can't remember actually winning a game of PW, so you should probably ignore most of what I say...

Okay, so after reading some of the suggestions and synergies, I think I’m looking at this:

Pandora

Baby Kade

Bette Noire

3 Sorrows

Witchling Stalker (I am also filled with coffee beans- so that’s a nice bonus)

Nephilim

What else should I be including here? I do like the Silurid. Silurid, Rotten Belle, or Punk Zombie?

As Tauwolf mentioned, I did already paint my Hooded Rider, but I can live without running him.

I may have spoken too soon. Last night's puppish combat saw LFG smack down three of us again. Admittedly one of the players was entirely new to PW (but not to gaming) and Tauwolf and I seemed to very effectively forget how to play several times, but she wasn't even using her usual Pokey Vik (Pandora FTW).

That was my first use of puppet Lady J and a ram-heavy force and I flubbed it a couple times. I think you need to plan her buff abilities (as opposed to randomly flailing about as I tend to do).

But it occurs to me that I can't remember actually winning a game of PW, so you should probably ignore most of what I say...

Yeah, ummmm, I played pretty bad last night, and then the card gods punished me (presumably for annoying them with my ass-tacular play) with some horrible card draws....

Methinks the game has really clicked with LaFemmeGeekita. We gave her the exact polar opposite master (Pandora) from what she's used to (Pokey), and she still managed to completely outplay us at every turn.

On another note, all my puppets are built now and I have a few primed to begin painting this weekend. I'll probably start a new thread for posting pics as I get stuff done, and just post the Adepticon related stuff here. I'm excited to show y'all some of my conversions.

@DaveyP Punk Zombie, you'll need some defense. And I think the Hooded Rider is better off in that list than Bete. Her attachment side is worthless with Pandora -- Pandora doesn't have the rips to sacrifice. HR gives you some early game offense, and Pandora holding a Giant Glowing Sword gives you some late-game flexibility.

I love the idea of you running a witchling stalker, but I'd be a little worried about bringing so many suits. Maybe someone else knows if that can work and can chime in?

Yeah, ummmm, I played pretty bad last night, and then the card gods punished me (presumably for annoying them with my ass-tacular play) with some horrible card draws....

Methinks the game has really clicked with LaFemmeGeekita. We gave her the exact polar opposite master (Pandora) from what she's used to (Pokey), and she still managed to completely outplay us at every turn.

On another note, all my puppets are built now and I have a few primed to begin painting this weekend. I'll probably start a new thread for posting pics as I get stuff done, and just post the Adepticon related stuff here. I'm excited to show y'all some of my conversions.

@DaveyP Punk Zombie, you'll need some defense. And I think the Hooded Rider is better off in that list than Bete. Her attachment side is worthless with Pandora -- Pandora doesn't have the rips to sacrifice. HR gives you some early game offense, and Pandora holding a Giant Glowing Sword gives you some late-game flexibility.

I love the idea of you running a witchling stalker, but I'd be a little worried about bringing so many suits. Maybe someone else knows if that can work and can chime in?

I am the puppette master.

What I noticed playing Pandora last night is that you will almost NEVER have the masks in your hand that you need, so it's best to have multiple factions with her. Masks cards chew through masks. Almost every Neverborn puppet has an ability that requires a mask discard to work. And all the Neverborn puppets that I had last night were very short range. The only ranged I had was a guild marshal that I took because all the other good puppets had been picked (*shaking fist at Fullborer*). Once he died, I slapped the cork gun on the Silurid I had as a last ditch effort, and he ended up winning me the game. And it was also adorable, which is equally as important to me. A stuffed frog demon with a cork gun. I mean.. come on...

@DaveyP, I'd suggest mixing up the suits. I can't tell you how many times I had all the high cards in the world that I wanted, but NO masks to make anything DO what I wanted it to. Pick a few Neverborn that you like (I like the Malifaux Cherub, Silurid, Sorrows, and Baby Kade as well as the Mature Nephilim (even though I didn't run with him last night)) and then throw some other ranged stuff in there. Maybe Nino as a second sidekick, or Hooded Rider would work.. even a Razorspine Rattler to tase things so that you can run your knife-wielding baby in there to tantrum and hit a whole bunch of people. After using the Malifaux Cherub last night, I'm trying to see how I can work it into my list.

I haven't started painting any puppets yet, so I have nothing for show and tell this week. However, I am going to start practicing this evening on an unrelated but adorable mousling model from Reaper, just to try out some new techniques Tauwolf taught me. In the meantime, I shall continue to make Fullborer and Tauwolf cry sweet, puppety tears.

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita

Just asking for a little help on this. As I said before I am runnig Lady Justice. That part I figured out, but what else do I run with her. I can go with one of all the Guild puppets, but since I'm early in my painting I figured I would reach out.

Saw something about 2 executioners, good I like that puppet. I thought about at least 1 Death Marshall and 1 Judge. Like both of them. After that I have nothing. Throw me a bone, give me your advice, let me here what you think.

Will be posting LJ picture tomorrow, I think. Hate this computer era.

Just asking for a little help on this. As I said before I am runnig Lady Justice. That part I figured out, but what else do I run with her. I can go with one of all the Guild puppets, but since I'm early in my painting I figured I would reach out.

Saw something about 2 executioners, good I like that puppet. I thought about at least 1 Death Marshall and 1 Judge. Like both of them. After that I have nothing. Throw me a bone, give me your advice, let me here what you think.

Will be posting LJ picture tomorrow, I think. Hate this computer era.

My personal favorite LJ list for starting:

LJ

Judge

Nino

2 x Austringer

2 x executioner

2 x death marshal

Use what pretty buttons you have to get one executioner in the scrap heap and throw his upgrade on an austringer. Run the two death marshals and remaining executioner forward and cause havoc, with the austringer bombarding from the back.

Simple, basic, effective.

When you get better with it I would throw in a guild hound to put its upgrade on the austringer as well.

Greetings puppets and puppettes,

After a weekend of household tasks that had depressingly little to do with miniatures, I [believe] I’ve wrapped up the conversions on my first pawn – Zappa the Razorspine Rattler.

This conversion is primarily cosmetic (per usual), but the coiled extra tail length does provide a slightly more stable base than the single pin on the stock ‘Rattler. The photo is pre-paint so you can see the thinner part of the tail is just brass wire and the thicker part is a cast-metal guitar string from Dragon Forge Designs. If you have any use for tubes and hoses like this, I’d highly recommend checking those out. Since they’re cast, you have a mold line to clean but that’s SOP for minis and they are soooo much easier to cut/bend/fit to a conversion than an actual guitar string (which I used to do); it’s entirely worth it IMO.

The circular saw-blade on his head (inspired by the puppet art) is just standard white plasticard. Normally I prefer/recommend ABS plastic sheet because it’s harder (easier to file) and gray (easier to see), but this was the right thickness so there you go. Rather than try to cut the saw-blade in half and fit it flush to the top of his head, I cut a slot in the upper rear quarter of the head with a jeweler’s saw, glued the plasticard sheet into the slot and began filing it into the right shape (putty cleaned up the extra sawn areas). The slot ensured that this tiny piece of plasticard is very securely in place, both for filing and for game-play. Sure, I had to cut off his head to cut the slot, but it’s not like I wasn’t going to re-pose it anyway. Plus now I can clearly envision him head-butting things for attention, like my cat.

[disclaimer: I have not added a saw blade to any part of the cat]

Zappa was pretty time-consuming (even for me) because I spent a truly silly amount of effort getting the “tail extensions” curved just so and the teeth in the saw blade to look right. So naturally, I’m all geeked to repeat the process on at least one more ‘Rattler. I’m not sure I’ll take two to Adepticon (although they have a lot of synergy with Marcus), but I have at least one more in the ol’ Toy Box and a composition all picked out for him. We’ll see.

FBM_Rattler1_green_sm.jpg

Stay tuned for yet more unnecessary conversions, it's kinda my thing...

Holy crap, fullborer whooped me last night in our first ever 1v1 contest.

Here's the map I came up with for our game. It turned out to be a lot of fun: Go ahead, Make My Day....

Lessons learned:

-Ice Golem is *not* to be taken lightly.

-Paralyze and other effects can really be a game-changer by locking down the opponents' important puppets.

-Cards are no different than dice in that when when they are hot, it's really hard to overcome them!

-fullborer 's adepticon crew is coming together really nicely!