Reflect Magic vs. Counterspell

shakedown47

Question

Hey everyone, today something came up and my opponent and I could not come to an agreement on resolution. The situation was that his Silent One tried to cast Freeze on my Sonnia and I was able to resist the spell with a high tome to trigger Reflect Magic. He then tried to counterspell his own spell, and that's where the disagreement began.

My contention was that Counterspell has two requirements: that the model with counterspell becomes the target of a spell, and that any discarding of cards be done BEFORE the casting total is generated. He seemed very hung up on the idea that he could counterspell just because his model had been declared as the target of a spell, but wanted to ignore the fact that a casting total had already been generated (Reflect Magic uses the difference in casting and resist totals if a difference is required, such as when makind damage rolls.)

So what do you guys think? Can a model use Counterspell to cancel it's OWN spell after the casting total has been generated? I can't think of a single way that it could. Thanks!

2 answers to this question