Outskirts of Malifaux - PIC HEAVY

Demonn Agram

finally some (minor) update.

you remember I had my LGS ordering those two Airfix kits (Steam Loco 1804 and Beam Engine)? Well, I had them order it for me in November 2011. They said they'd contact me when they got it. In March I asked them and they said that it hasn't arrived.

Well, this weekend I asked again on the offchance. Well, it seems they have had it in the back waiting for me since April. LOL...

so here they go:

1011.jpg

I haven't done any kits (like Airfix, Revell etc) for about a decade and once I opened them, I remembered exactly how they were and looked. Mold lines everywhere, overflow of material. Good old days... Yuck!

Anyway, hopefully I'll have them assembled and painted by the end of the weekend (and then I'll post some pics with Malifaux models so you see the size of them - if I remember correctly someone asked for it)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT & INSPIRING stuff, Demonn. Thanks for the motivation.

Watch parts. You can buy them in bulk lots of various sizes, actually, from eebeads, that's where I got mine.

Would you happen to have a link to them? I'm always searching for gears & such....thanks in advance.

Edited by DeafNala

Seriously Demonn Agram, you need to relax a little :D

I am slightly... maybe quite jealous, a bloody nice table you are crafting there mate.

I don't even know what to say :D - However if you keep crafting the table, you ain't gonna see them ladies - so make it a 50/50 - and reward yourself a little, will ya'? ;)

Looking forward to see the complete table :)

Thanks..

Well, I opend up the boxes, started assembly and I immediately got dissappointed. So much mold lines, such big mold lines (average is about 2mm all around each part)...

So I stopped doing the airfix models (for a while I think...)

but nevertheless I ploughed on and decided to finally finish my gremlin moonshine shack/factory. and here it is:

shack002.jpg

shack003.jpg

shack004.jpg

shack005.jpg

shack006.jpg

shack007.jpg

shack008.jpg

shack009.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic. How did you paint up the wood? It looks so aged. The posters etc are also a really great touch. And I'm slightly in love with the barrels. And, and, and...

Good luck with those mould lines... Sounds like you'll need it!

It's easy. The whole thing is made from balsa wood. and I just drybrushed using a really large brush:

TN_3406.JPG

(smallest or the second smallest of the bunch)

the "three" shades of wood colour used:

1. outside

drybrush black+codex grey, drybrush codex grey, final drybrush dheneb stone

2. inside

drybrush scorched brown, final drybrush dheneb stone

3. furniture

drybrush scorched brown, drybrush snakebite leather, final drybrush dheneb stone+snakebite leather..

the balsa wood has those natural grain that really pop out when drybrushing..

you're welcome :)

been a relatively slow weekend. I did manage to add some pipes to the shack:

shack015.jpg

shack016.jpg

also, I'm real chuffed to say I finally found an answer to the conundrum that's been bugging me for a while. I'm doing (slowly but steadily) the brothel Sybelle's for my table. well, I want ot have petroleum lamps all around that place. so far I haven't found any company that makse those in the scale I need. I've been thinking of scratchbuilding them from bitz - but I believe I need some 20-30 of them for the terrain. and being on the same terrain they need to be the same. So finally I found some beads in a "make-your-own-jewlery-hobby-store" (I love those places, am I wierd?)

and here are the results of my testing. In all I spend just under 2€ :smile:

shack013.jpg

shack014.jpg

what do you think?

The Shack is a BEAUTIFULLY detailed creation. I've become so used to making & seeing ruined buildings that an intact one is quite a novelty. VERY WELL DONE!

The gas lights look terrific to moi...very clever idea.

The jewelry sections of various craft stores are among the sections I haunt also. It's amazing the useful stuff you can find if you view things with an open mind...or a touch of senility with moi.