Going to start a Leviticus Crew

magicpockets

The card advantage Alyce give is nice but I have found that beyond the first turn Levi is to far away to benefit from it. If I wanted him in range for the card advantage one of two things have to happen. Alyce either has to spend AP to walk up to Levi (if she does she is not shooting) or I have to position a waif near her which telegraphs my intended spawn point.

Agreed. And last I recall, you just had to discard the extra cards as it doesn't increase your max hand size. Maybe that's changed, though.

But either way, it is quite difficult to get Leve near Alyce without basically shouting to your opponent your plans, and those Waifs are easy to kill.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I have taken the plunge and bought the box set, DE and a pack of Waifs.

To start with going to run with the following

Rusty

Caninne Remains

4 Abominations

then depending on scenerios and opponent

3 Necro punks

2 Crooligans

Jack Daw

Rider

gives roughly 3 to 5 ss depending

I will be proxying in additional abominations and DE's if required till i get a better handle on what I need to run it. Also Ashes and Dus may make an apperance once I have it after xmas.

A bit late but my input as a new levi player

Rusty Alice is awesomely useful and even without the extra card input she makes her points most games.

The 2nd waif is very important, and worth the canine remains IMHO

The more soulstones the better - I really like to have a nice 6 or so floating about...their are times when that creature absolutely positively has to die - and you can burn 3 soulstones that turn easily

Thanks everyone for the input, I've now taken the plunge and ordered a nice core set of models to get to grips with him. On way from our friends at Maelstrom Games is -

Levi

Waif

Rusty Alyce

4x SPAs

Desolation Engine

Large Arachnid (the 5ss Arcanist one)

3x Necropunks

and I already have JackDaw, 6x Canine Remains and 3x Crooligans (on pre-order - I think they're undead??) to thrown into the mix.

Maybe next I'll pick up the riders, A&D and some hanged - what do you all think?

- MP

The miner is great. It also took me a few times of looking at him before he clicked in my mind as an excellent Levi model. Personally I like to throw blessing on him turn. This give him a crow on his CB which allows him to automatically get a SS each time he kills something. If you don’t need a SS then your making SPA. You keep the blessings on him by burying him before the end of turn. That way he will keep the Auto trigger the whole game or until he stays on the table till the close phase. Of course from there you will probably give him Melee MASTER as his 0 action when he pops up, smash a lot of stuff, get a few more SS and then disappear. The 2wd penalty still applies to him but he will keep the Melee master as long as he remains buried.

Another trick that I like to use on turn one with him is to use him to kill off Levi and a Waif. I use Levi and drop him down to 1 Wd and if its near the end of the turn and I know that my second waif is safe ill smash them both. With the auto trigger that’s automatically two addition SS on turn one.

Finally throw reactivate on him turn one and then bury him. When he pops up you can potentially get a whopping 8 attacks out of him. Again if you bury him before the end of the turn Rusty's burn out penalty wont trigger.

The miner is great. It also took me a few times of looking at him before he clicked in my mind as an excellent Levi model. Personally I like to throw blessing on him turn. This give him a crow on his CB which allows him to automatically get a SS each time he kills something. If you don’t need a SS then your making SPA. You keep the blessings on him by burying him before the end of turn. That way he will keep the Auto trigger the whole game or until he stays on the table till the close phase. Of course from there you will probably give him Melee MASTER as his 0 action when he pops up, smash a lot of stuff, get a few more SS and then disappear. The 2wd penalty still applies to him but he will keep the Melee master as long as he remains buried.

Another trick that I like to use on turn one with him is to use him to kill off Levi and a Waif. I use Levi and drop him down to 1 Wd and if its near the end of the turn and I know that my second waif is safe ill smash them both. With the auto trigger that’s automatically two addition SS on turn one.

Finally throw reactivate on him turn one and then bury him. When he pops up you can potentially get a whopping 8 attacks out of him. Again if you bury him before the end of the turn Rusty's burn out penalty wont trigger.

Sheer awesomeness, I'm going to get one ordered right now :D

EDIT: This has now been ordered but I'm told the retailer is crap so we'll see if it arrives :)

Re Blessings, the V3 card says "when killing a model with Entropic Claws" - is this a typo and it should be "a melee attack"? Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Lastly, the order from Maelstrom arrived this morning (super fast service for £2!) so just been to HobbyCraft to get a new pin drill, some 0.6mm bits and some jewellery wire - those Large Steampunk Arachnid legs need to stay on somehow! Will post progress pics etc when I make, erm, progress - I just need to arrange my first game now :)

Edited by magicpockets

Well a lot of Levi's spell require two suits to cast so if you want them to go off you will have to burn a stone. The only spell that she can cast that isn't two suited is necrotic unmaking and that will require a 13 of crow if you hard cast with out a stone. Most of the time I will either use her second ap for walking to a safer position or trying to make my opponent discard a card.

Waifs are pretty $$$$$$$$ poor at casting, I generally don't unless I know I can.

Ss miners are nice, reasonably priced hitters that can also be used for objective grabbing. Levi can also give them a crow to their cb so they can hit their trigger automatically and gain some Ss off of the enemy.

The guardian can be great for keeping both waifs and alyce alive depending on the situation. I guess the reason why I use them is really only against guild. A guild crew with 2 austringers will ruin your day real quick....they are the ultimate anti-levi minion. The guardian helps.keep your waifs alive so levi can do what he does best. Other than that I wouldn't really use one, just against guild, but that's just me, I think austringers are worse than stitched...bird-f$&%ing bastards.

Okay, for 35ss I'm considering -

Levi/Waif (cache of 1)

Bette Noir (9)

JackDaw (9)

SS Miner (6)

Large Steampunk Arachnid (5)

Canine Remains (2)

Stolen (3)

First turn is very Malifaux by Numbers (i.e. have to do things in a certain order) and won't work against Dreamer alpha strike, but should give me a nice start to the game -

TURN ONE

=======

1. Activate Canine Remains and hit the Large SPA to try and do some damage

2. Activate Large SPA and kill Canine Remains to drop corpse counter and summon Bette

3. Activate Levi and do Blessings on Bette and SS Miner and summon a waif from corpse counter. Do (0) card thing to get him to 1 wound

4. Activate Stolen and do something to remove Harmless

5. Activate SS Miner and ditch ss for melee master (+2). Kill Levi which gives me a SS. Kill stolen (and pray for no Black Joker on Paralyze flip!) which drops a rat and gives me a Soulstone. Kill Rat which gives Bette (+1)Fast and gives me another SS. Bury the Miner to keep Melee Master and Blessings.

6. Activate Bette and do defensive stance, a (0) Depraved Tactics, and then bury her which preserves (+1) Fast, Blessings (so she auto gets Rot, Slit Jugular or Blessings off) and her Depraved Tactics (which stacks with another depraved tactics when she comes back and does it again)

7. Aside form this I have Jack and Two Waifs to Position for next turn

TURN TWO

=======

In this turn we move the Large SPA and a waif up the field, kill them both with the SS Miner (+2 soulstones and drop 3 scrap) which gets reburied, then Levi can start to summon SPAs from scrap and killing enemy.

Play as normal from here out, but I should have a Desolation Engine turn 3 or 4 along with a pop-up SS Miner with Melee Master and the SS trigger/blessings and Bette with (+1) Fast, multiple Depraved Tactics, 3x auto-triggers and defensive stance (if needed, ideally I'd use the Fast action to rebury her at the end of her activation). Add in JackDaw to cuddle cheating and ss (watching Bette range so he doesn't screw one with the night) and it should be fairly brutal. And now starting on 5ss plus any more the Miner can get me from opponents or Levi/one of the waifs.

At least, that's how far my Theoryfaux goes..... :)

Edited by magicpockets

Sounds like a nasty combo that shouldn't slow Levi down too much.

I'm unsure about the stacking Depraved Tactics though, and by the looks of this thread, so are the RMs.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21825&highlight=Depraved+tactics

Mike

Yeah, didn't know Sketch had ruled against Ratty and I don't get on what basis the ruling is supposed to make sense, but with some of the recent rulings that doesn't mean it won't stick ;) Hopefully common sense (and the *cough* Rules Manual *cough*) will win out. But either way, it would be nice to stack but not important to me as I only need the :+fate:+fate really

Let us know how that tactic works, there's a lot of Ss to be generated there. I haven't tried things like that as of yet because I've never needed the extra Ss that badly. Everyone plays him differently, but I find I don't need more than 2-5 with him, especially if I'm using JD, since my opponents won't be cheating much, you won't need as many stones. I usually on use them for high priority minions and masters.

As for the dreamer alpha strike, I don't think that levi has a whole.lot that will save him against a good dreamer player. I haven't had much experience against the dreamer with him, but a lot of the book 2 masters give it to him pretty hard, with the exception of Hoff. They're all fast enough to get to his waifs and kill them off after he's activated. Not that he can't win or anything, but he's definitely at a disadvantage.

Let us know how that tactic works, there's a lot of Ss to be generated there. I haven't tried things like that as of yet because I've never needed the extra Ss that badly. Everyone plays him differently, but I find I don't need more than 2-5 with him, especially if I'm using JD, since my opponents won't be cheating much, you won't need as many stones. I usually on use them for high priority minions and masters.

As for the dreamer alpha strike, I don't think that levi has a whole.lot that will save him against a good dreamer player. I haven't had much experience against the dreamer with him, but a lot of the book 2 masters give it to him pretty hard, with the exception of Hoff. They're all fast enough to get to his waifs and kill them off after he's activated. Not that he can't win or anything, but he's definitely at a disadvantage.

I think with the miner I'd use the Blessings trigger if a crow came up rather than get the extra soulstone, but its nice to have a free soulstone to fall back on! Same with Bette, I'd roll with Blessings to try and get the extra SPAs on the board where possible.

Re troublesome masters (Dreamer and Collette spring to mind) I'm lucky I have very good players of each crew locally so hopefully will find out what works. I just need to lose a lot to really hone in on some good combinations and crews.

On a side, I'm looking at Collodi combined with Alyce as another apporach (giving Marionnettes reactivate seems cool) and I think this may work better against the likes of Collette and Kirai.

Time will tell! :D

The more I see Levi played, the more I disagree with that. Especially with the ability to use Collodi, but even without it, Levi is nearly on level with, if not actually on level with, The Dreamer, Hamelin, Kirai, Lilith, and Hamelin. Even without Collodi, he is nasty in the hands of a good player. Add Collodi and his crew is pretty much broke.

The more I see Levi played, the more I disagree with that. Especially with the ability to use Collodi, but even without it, Levi is nearly on level with, if not actually on level with, The Dreamer, Hamelin, Kirai, Lilith, and Hamelin. Even without Collodi, he is nasty in the hands of a good player. Add Collodi and his crew is pretty much broke.

Eh, I feel like if a crew like kirai or dreamer can bide their time and wait for levi to kill himself off, they can easily move in and sweep up the waifs. Without levi the crew kind of falls apart as not many of his minions (apart from A&D, SPAs, etc) have much synergy together, and will be fairly easy to pick apart.

Like I said, haven't played against the dreamer much with levi, but I say that as someone who does very well with Kirai, and have seen what she can do to his crew. It's not autolose by any means, but its going to be uphill for him.

Im not sure im to keen on the stolen idea. If you look at the soul stone cost Im not sure if the gain is worth the expense. You also brining an additional model for the purpose of sacrificing in. I would rather put those stones towards a watcher for more card manipulation. I think the math is as follows

Cost of Stolen (-3ss)

Soul Stone miner get melee master (-1ss)

Smash Levi (+1)

Smash Stolen (+1)

Smash Rat (+1)

End Results:

(-1 SS)

Bete Gains Fast and blessing (awesome by the way)

Soul Stone Miner takes two wounds per turn before it attacks enemy. Moves up field 8 inches

Keep two waifs on the table

or

Rusty Reactivate Miner

Smash Levi (+1ss)

Smash waif (+1ss)

Miner reactivates moves five and the tunnels for a 13 inch move up field. Pops up and Gets Melee master (-1ss)

End Result:

(+1SS)

Bete gets blessing but not fast

Miner at full health but further up field.

One waif on board means more of a risk.

Requires Rusty

Add Collodi and his crew is pretty much broke.

And there it is - I haven't even pinned the models yet and I'm being accused of playing ANOTHER broken crew :D

Im not sure im to keen on the stolen idea. If you look at the soul stone cost Im not sure if the gain is worth the expense. You also brining an additional model for the purpose of sacrificing in. I would rather put those stones towards a watcher for more card manipulation. I think the math is as follows

Cost of Stolen (-3ss)

Soul Stone miner get melee master (-1ss)

Smash Levi (+1)

Smash Stolen (+1)

Smash Rat (+1)

End Results:

(-1 SS)

Bete Gains Fast and blessing (awesome by the way)

Soul Stone Miner takes two wounds per turn before it attacks enemy. Moves up field 8 inches

Keep two waifs on the table

or

Rusty Reactivate Miner

Smash Levi (+1ss)

Smash waif (+1ss)

Miner reactivates moves five and the tunnels for a 13 inch move up field. Pops up and Gets Melee master (-1ss)

End Result:

(+1SS)

Bete gets blessing but not fast

Miner at full health but further up field.

One waif on board means more of a risk.

Requires Rusty

Hi, problems with that from what I can see -

1. SS Miner takes the wounds from Melee Master at the end of the turn so if it's buried before then (i.e. 1AP, Melee Master and then bury) it won't take any damage throughout the game and will keep Melee Master.

2. Whereas Burn Out happens at the end of your activation so if you're not buried end of your first activation you drop to 1 wound, and if you're buried at the end of your first activation to avoid it there is no unbury mechanism so you waste the second activation.

Haven't got the rule book to hand but I'm pretty sure after a day of theoryfauxing yesterday that this is right.

Re bringing the watcher instead, with my idea you're only in effect paying 1ss to give Bette (+1) Fast (3 for a Stolen - the two you get back) which seems like a good trade off if she can keep burying herself to avoid losing it.