Random Malifaux minis for the boyfriend

Wings

I've been painting Malifaux minis for about a year now for my boyfriend (he plays, I don't) but have only just got around to joining the forum. As a rule I paint his masters and anything he thinks looks particularly hard, and he buys me minis in return (which he can then game with). I'm not sure quite who has the better end of this deal...

Anyway, the latest mini I've painted for him is Lilith. Any help on how to improve her would be great as I need to post her off to London soon and won't see her for a while. (The boyfriend's in charge of basing her up.) The colour choices are his rather than mine but I can alter them to whatever looks best.

Lilith.jpg

My all time favorite Wyrd miniature (it was what drew my attention to Wyrd to begin with) and one of my all around favorite minis (love Werner's work!) You did an exemplary job on her, all around nice work. I have to concur the face is beautiful, really nice work on that and the hair. Nice job on the puple on the coat also. Your boyfriend is a lucky guy, hope to see more of your work and thanks for sharing.

IMO, a mini isn't finished till it's based, but what you have so far looks great. Any idea of the colours and textures she'll be based with?

I think she's going to be based on a picture of a KoRn album cover... Doesn't look like I'll get a huge amount of input into which one. (That's the theme for all his Neverborn models so far)

It looks very good for only having painted for a year. The face is quite nice. as well.

In terms of advice for the future there is just basic stuff. A little more contrast between your lights and darks would really make the mini pop. Also when you do a any purple you really have to gradually build it up. That color tends to take white pigment like H2O2 takes O2 radicals ( sorry organic chemistry is on the brain). IF you want to do a darker purpble the key is to only build up to a mid tone and then put just a very very slight line of the highlight along the ridges where the light hits.

All in all a ver nice mini . Like i say, if you can get the face like that and the colors nice and clean you will have no problem :).

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

AntiZombie - the mini has a bit more contrast in real life but I didn't manage to take fantastic photos of it. But thanks a lot for the tips! I know that contrast is something I really need to work on. I keep on forgetting that while it might look fine while I'm painting it, it *has* to have contrast when it's on the gaming table.

Oh, and I've been painting minis for two years now. I started off on Blood Bowl minis for the first year, and then my boyfriend switched to loving Malifaux. I definitely prefer these!

keep it up they look good :). There are some good youtube videos that can help you along. The biggest step for me in improving my painting was activly going out and looking for painting tutorials by painters i really liked. Plus keeping in contact with other painters and kind of having playful competitions with them to for all parties to get better. These forums have a great painting community.

Thanks guys! I've only got one friend here who also paints minis so it's nice to get some more feedback. Lilith's now been posted off to London so I can't try to improve her/wreck the paint job any more, and she should hopefully get some use. Next up is Seamus so I'll post some photos of him in the next week or so assuming I get time to paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Work is annoying and gets in the way of painting. :( I've finally more or less finished Seamus. What do you think of him? There are places where the paint needs touching up but he is at least covered with paint and usable now.

Seamus.jpg

I'm not sure how to make the domino mask work better - any suggestions? And does he need more question marks? He's painted up to go with the McMourning I entered into the Rotten Harvest competition. (Who at some point I will re-base and take better photos of)

McMourning11.jpg

• Like 1

Leaving the Batman theme for a while, here's what I'm currently working on for a friend. It's supposed to be a Christmas present so I'm envisaging having to repaint the whole thing in a more sober colour scheme if he doesn't like it. So much more work to do and I've got to paint Coppelius for him too.

JsLordChompyBitsWIP.jpg

• 2 months later...

Right, after only painting three minis over Christmas, I've finally been able to get back to painting and actually taking photos of what I've done.

Continuing the Batman theme, this is Hasslefree's Bat-Kieran and it is minuscule... I'm supposed to be giving it to my boyfriend next week so have a few more days to tidy it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bat-Kieran6.jpg

I've also been working very slowly on the alt. Lady J which I was given for Christmas. Again, more help would be wonderful. I've still got loads of tidying up to do and repainting her face and probably her top now that I've looked at the photos.

LadyJWIP7.jpg

Fingers crossed I'll be able to start painting a bit more regularly soon!