cardshark's Guild and Outcasts (very pic heavy)

cardshark

So I took a couple hours and photographed my models with a bit better lighting. Still not ideal as I used the flash for a lot of them, but at least you can see the detail better.

My first crew was the Ortegas, and I made the bases from myself.

Ortegas Crew:

IMG_0166.jpg

Perdita:

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Abuela:

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Nino

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Papa Loco

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Francisco

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Santiago

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Enslaved Nephilim

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

For my Lady J crew I decided to try some OSL on the Death Marshals and the Executioner. Not perfect by any stretch, but each one was a learning experience.

Death Marhsals Crew:

IMG_0114.jpg

Lady Justice:

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Judge

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Executioner

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Death Marshals

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Scales of Justice

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

And now I have started a Vikkies crew, so here are some WIP shots, which I will add to as I go.

The Crew so far:

IMG_0231.jpg

The Viktorias:

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Male Desperate Mercenary

IMG_0236.jpg

Johan

IMG_0238.jpg

Taelor

IMG_0241.jpg

Bishop

IMG_0245.jpg

Ronin 2

IMG_0260.jpg

Ronin 3

IMG_0262.jpg

Ronin 1

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Convict Gunslinger

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Female Desperate Mercenary:

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

I would really appreciate feedback, especially tips from some of you more experienced painters as to how I can improve my work as I move on to the Viks (and my Lucius crew, which is all assembled and primed too.)

thanks!

Correction: I made all the Ortega bases except Abuela's- that is one of the Wyrd graveyard bases, backwards. The Outcast bases are all ready made resin bases I got from my local game shop, can't remember the brand. Lady j crew bases are all mixed from graveyard bases and accessories, with a bunch of green stuff to make the piles of mud

Ronin #3 WIP- still haven't decided on a hair colour or clothing colour- she is going to have a black leather hat to match the jacket and pants of the other 2 Ronin, and I want the red lipstick and red bra to pop, so I am thinking something muted like white/cream, or beige or denim, something that will not draw focus from the bright red. either dirty blonde or light brown hair.

was toying with the idea of a plaid shirt, but have no idea how that would go... any pointers?

930ece95.jpg

Edited by cardshark

Pretty damn nice for your "attempt." I think it's going to work nice when finished. Question - Do you ink your miniatures before painting (over the primer) or do you use the two color (white/black) top bottom primer shading? Looking forward to seeing these finished up and thanks for sharing.

Pretty damn nice for your "attempt." I think it's going to work nice when finished. Question - Do you ink your miniatures before painting (over the primer) or do you use the two color (white/black) top bottom primer shading? Looking forward to seeing these finished up and thanks for sharing.

Thanks I am pretty happy with the back, but I think the front looks a little sloppy- can't seem to avoid the occasional shaky hand at just the wrong moment.

I have been priming white and then using a black wash as a base coat- I find that it helps me pick out the details of themselves as I am painting, and occasionally the black paint in the crevasses helps to create shadow, although most of the time I am doing shading after the base layers of paint. I think it is mainly helpful for me when looking at the model an planning what to do and what features to highlight. I always doin when priming black that I could no longer see the details I was trying to paint.

That executioner looks awesome. This is a very good shot at OSL.

If I may, I'd like to make a recommendation for your pictures.

Try to get a light source above them, or as indirect as possible. If not possible, try to get your minis further away from the white background. The shadows cast by the light in front (maybe camera flash?) were making my head spin. It feels like the image is doubling up and distracts from the good jobs you've made.

Everything you have looks amazing so far and especially when you have them together like Perdita's army (papa on the cactus is hilarious). And the executioner is incredible.

A few tips and pointers I can give you (though I'm an extremely slow painter in comparison to this lol).

Try to thin out your highlights a little more and do it in numerous coats (especially with skin), on some of the models the highlights come off a bit harsh in contrast to the base color. However for things like leather, brighter, reflective looking highlights are actually what make it. Google-ing black leather, while dangerous I agree, can actually help so you can see how light hits it.

For basing, try basing by hand a couple times. I know it's slower than spray priming and then washing it with black, but I've noticed between the two I lose so much detail when spray priming, and I can thin and control my paint as much as I need to. What's nice about hand basing too is it gives you a chance to get your hands and eyes everywhere on the model before you even start giving it base colors. I use bleached bone for 99% of my models which also helps for a base face color to work off of. (Excuse the giant image but http://i.imgur.com/vx1k5.jpg all the bleached gives you an idea).

The last thing, and I don't know if it's the camera or lighting, but your models come off a little bit shiny. If that's the effect you're going for by all means keep it. Personally I slap on 3 or 4 coats of testors dullcote to kill any shiny my washes leave.

You can definitely see your improvement on every model you're painting and I'm sorry this post is like rant worthy long lol I hope a helps you even a little though and I can't wait to see more!

That executioner looks awesome. This is a very good shot at OSL.

If I may, I'd like to make a recommendation for your pictures.

Try to get a light source above them, or as indirect as possible. If not possible, try to get your minis further away from the white background. The shadows cast by the light in front (maybe camera flash?) were making my head spin. It feels like the image is doubling up and distracts from the good jobs you've made.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try to set up a better photo spot, lighting wise, and retake to pics

Try to thin out your highlights a little more and do it in numerous coats (especially with skin), on some of the models the highlights come off a bit harsh in contrast to the base color.

thanks for the tip I will try to apply less paint on the skin and do more layers- I agree that it needs better blending. Will make this my goal when I paint Taelor, who is my next project after the Ronin.

For basing, try basing by hand a couple times.
I bought a bottle of brush on primer and am going to try for my Sonia crew when I get to them.

The last thing, and I don't know if it's the camera or lighting, but your models come off a little bit shiny.

I had originally gloss coated them after painting to protect them, and then found a source for testor's dullcote here in town and sprayed them with that. I was paranoid about clouding and only gave them a light coat, and now I want to spray them again but don't know what effect te spray will have on the static grass I have added since then. Anybody ever tried spraying dullcote on top of grass?

Those all look absolutely fantastic. the executioner is really top shelf. and i do love that pink you made. Really great looking stuff.

Cheers!

thanks! the pink is a really simple mix of white and citadel blood red.

finished painting Ronin #3 with the plaid shirt, just need to get the chance to photograph her. starting now on Taelor. Goals: Smooth blending on the skin, and OSL for her magical hammer... already came across one hitch- some mold errors on the left side of her face left irregularities i couldn't fix around her left eye, so i added a green stuff eye patch. Yaaarrrr...