Painting my first crew: Zoraida

OrlokSubedei

Hello everyone! I recently got into Malifaux, and this is my first attempts in painting miniatures in a long time. Back in '89 I did paint some BattleTech miniatures, but putting on some camo schemes on boxy robots is easy compared to doing human figures. I did restart my painting with the Ice Golem since it was an easy mental picture to transition over from robots to the golem. Once I get around to painting the rest of Rasputina's starter box I will put up pictures of the golem. So Zoraida ended up being my second completed painted miniature since Milli Vanilli was popular... Blame it on the Rain...

I went with the voodoo doll idea and pinned some of the faction colored dolls on a nice twig that looked naturally like a dead tree. I probably should have put the Neverborn doll up on the tree in order to not have the purple sort of blend in together. However, in person the purple on the doll is much richer, while Zoraida's skirt has a muddied appearance. I also decided to make a ball of string and put a couple of pins in it to give her a bit of a Moirae feel (I might throw in Kirai's shears to reinforce that image later). The base is covered with Skullcrafts winter leaf mix scatter.

Z1F.jpg

The back of the miniature I thought looked rather plain, so I took one of the dolls and mounted it just off the rim of the base so it looks like it is trying to run away.

Z1B.jpg

Overall, I feel happy with the results. I learned some lessons that I can apply to my other projects. I hope you enjoyed my vision for Zoraida. Next up are Stitched Togethers.