UK Malifaux Masters Invitational

magicpockets

Again with another play for sympathy. This isn't about your views on Rankings or masters Adam. You've chosen to accuse two people of cheating and dragged me into it by claiming I agreed with you.

erm...where? All I said was that on the day we were surprised to be playing each other as the chat me, you, Jo and Craig had had ended with me vs Craig planned for the morning.

Or are you saying that chat never took place and we didn't have that conversation on the second day when we ended up playing each other? Iirc, the only reason you told me everything about LCB the night before was because I wasn't playing you the next day - ringing any bells now?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, plowing back into the Invitationals.

First thought = Buh?

Second thought = Really need to establish the tournament scene first, see the impact of Rankings after a year etc and have a look at the data before making a descision.

Third thought = If after looking at the data individual peoples scores turned everyone into 'That Guy' change 'em to masters etc.

Fourth thought = Curry, 'n'uff said

Yeah my thought is the rankings are way to new to be using them for this.

Instead what about having a few Qualifier tourneys and then a Masters at GT. It sounds like you guys have several henchman close enough together that they could alternate running the events so everyone gets a chance to try to qualify.

Building on Adams posts above, what is the point of invitationals? Why do they have them?

Surely rankings are there to establish the "best" player and tournaments become "invitationals" as they progress due to Swiss system (I think you'll know what I mean?)

Plus won't they impact on how people play ranking games? Take the first game I played at the Leeds tournament (against a really nice lad who won best sport, Josh Iirc?) - he was running a typical collette crew but was missing a lot of tricks so I could take the time to explain some ideas to him, also a few times he made some decisions then asked if he could go back and change his mind which is always cool with me (even in the last game at Birmingham expo, on the last activation which would decide who outa of the two of us got 1st place I didn't object to Ant wanting to change his mind about something he'd done - although I did make him flip for it lol).

So my question is, whilst it might not affect builds/masters etc - will it affect decisions like this? Will people become less forgiving with an actual reason to get the most ranking points?

That would kinda suck.

Edited by magicpockets

So my question is, whilst it might not affect builds/masters etc - will it affect decisions like this? Will people become less forgiving with an actual reason to get the most ranking points?

I don't think it will change anything. Anyone who is really hardcore into their ranking is the type of person who is just generally into winning so even if there were not rankings I doubt they would go easy on someone like in your above example during a tournament.

One of the up sides of a invitational tourney though would be that all 8 or 16 players would know that everyone else there knows how to play the game and play it well. So you could take of the kid gloves and really push your skill. Some people look for this level of competition and since Malifaux is still pretty new you rarely find a tournament where there are no beginner players.

If there was a way to make it clear it's a tournament where it's all about doing everything 100% perfect first time. No beginner players. All people taking it seriously. But without it affecting all the other tournaments through the year. Then yeah, why not? I'm sure there are enough people out there who would enjoy some super-competitive play.

But advertising a tournament as being like that would put a lot of people off (including some who are really competitive). I know for a lot of people it's all about the challenge. Using different crews, using the same crews in different ways. Using 'weaker' masters or minions to try show you can excel using anything, not just the 'broken' stuff. So yes, you may be playing seemingly unfair match-ups all day. But wouldn't getting solid draws, or high scoring losses be an achievement in that situation?

For example, at the Bristol tournie I played against Ophelia with a Dreamer crew. Having never played that match-up before I didn't realise how unfair it was. But my opponent's victory was in killing Ophelia themself to deny me 2 VPs. That could easily be something that could decide what place you come, and is definitely thinking out of the box to make the best of an impossible game.

Tim

For example, at the Bristol tournie I played against Ophelia with a Dreamer crew. Having never played that match-up before I didn't realise how unfair it was. But my opponent's victory was in killing Ophelia themself to deny me 2 VPs. That could easily be something that could decide what place you come, and is definitely thinking out of the box to make the best of an impossible game.

I am a hero.

I am intrigued..seems I have missed a lot of discussion over the last week or 2! I'm not sure whether this is too early or not but I for one like the opportunity to play in a competitive environment just to be able to improve my game further and see what other masters are capable of!

But whatever the level of competitive environment, if I'm not having fun, I won't bother with it as it is just a game and having fun comes first.

Though I do have plans to play via Skype and have Jo move my models for me. She's going to wear a head-cam and I'm going to play the game remotely.

Hey if that works out maybe we can have all you guys to play at Adepticon, NOVA, Templecon and Gencon over here next year. We just need to find a bunch of suckers to sit and move you models all weekend. :)

Vassal match with the winner of this event vs the US Master of Malifaux winner? :P

Craig, it's fine, a few of us UK lot will be going to the US Masters of Malifaux event next year so we can beat them in person!! lol So it will be the GT UK winner v the US Masters UK winner!!

Rules pack is expected for this by the end of October.

For the 16 players who accept their invitations, there is looking to be knock out stages, where the players who get knocked out are playing the..... other players who get knocked out!

The winners will then move on to the other knock out stages

The ideas are still being worked on but lets keep the thread on topic for the people who will want to accept their invites :)

Of course any constructive ideas will be listened to :)

Thanks