Fire Gamin - Hot or Not?

Nephalumps

I was recently looking over the Book 3 Arcanist releases again, and the Fire Gamin seem like a really solid choice for 4 SS, almost regardless of crew. They're a more "offensive" contrast to the Ice Gamin, and because of that they seem more widely applicable.

As usual, Colette is going to be going with as many of her Showgirls as she can fit in the list, and I could see Ramos sticking with his usual spider constructs (especially since he can pop them for a similar effect.)

However, even with Ramos I could see them being a good menace: Arcing Screen makes them more resistant to ranged attacks, letting them spit fire (more blasts!) and the Arcing Screen damage combined with Burning Blood means that anyone hitting them in melee is going to take 3 Dg (4 if they eat the Burning Token!) Plus, they explode on their own, so Ramos doesn't need to burn the (1) action to force the effect.

In general, the Fire Gamin bring a decent gun (with blast damage,) and the ability to lay out Burning Tokens, which can result in more damage or Slow enemies. Kaeris can of course take advantage of the Burning Tokens, but I think they're enough of a hindrance that any crew would be happy for their opponents to be set on fire. :)

Plus, they explode when they die, and dole out more Burning Tokens in the process. Add in Cg 8, and it looks like they have a decent ability to get stuck in, sink damage into the enemy reactively, then go up in a blaze of glory.

Has anyone proxied them yet? Any experiences? Any horror stories about them exploding in your own ranks? ;)

I pretty much play Ramos exclusively, and at this point though I've yet to get a proxy game in they seem like a pretty exceptional choice for him. As mentioned since they explode on their own it saves Ramos the trouble. The other thing I wondering about is, with them handing out burning tokens would people be prone to taking slow rather than the damage? In a close quarters fight with Ramos' normal crew taking 1 damage on multiple models in a close quarters fight is ill advised.

Reason being you are weakening all models in the fight and making it even more devestating for Ramos to detonate spiders or throw EC in your face. Not to mention if you chose to take the damage the burning token remains and forces you to make the choice again. If players are prone to opt to accept the slow this actually plays to Ramos advantage as well, slowing enemies down and making it more difficult for them to spread back out. Which with Kaeris tagging along is even more counter productive to survival.

I definitely think spreading around Burning Tokens is going to be bad news for your opponent, even if you don't have Kaeris around to capitalize on them.

Burning Tokens are subtly nasty: they're not guaranteed damage, but they put your opponent in a rough spot. No one wants to take extra damage, especially when they're likely to take more soon (either by punching the Fire Gamin, the Gamin exploding, or any other number of bad things.)

At the same time Slow can really limit their options/damage output, so sometimes they may need to just eat the damage and hope for the best.

Either way, you're putting your opponent in a bad position, which is precisely when the game gets fun. ;)

Plus, its not like the Fire Gamin are only passive in their Burning Token dealings; the little gubbers have 4 different ways to deal them out, two of which are attacks! Add to that Construct and Smoldering Heart, and I think they're a really solid choice for 4 SS for any crew.

Little living hand grenades, that can disrupt the enemy and generally be a menace. I'm considering running one or two in a Marcus crew as a way to have a cheap, effective way to kick attrition in my favor. The possible additional shooting would also be a nice bonus, but I think they'll be more valuable running into the enemy lines, wherein they may explode with maximum effect. :)

Not to mention if you chose to take the damage the burning token remains and forces you to make the choice again.

The tokens are all removed, regardless of how many there are whether the player chooses slow or the wound...

Fire Gamin are fantastic for the points. Its very telling that I only play Guild and I'm more excited about Fire Gamin (who I can only use with one master) than I am about some of the Guild Minions...

The tokens are all removed, regardless of how many there are whether the player chooses slow or the wound...

Fire Gamin are fantastic for the points. Its very telling that I only play Guild and I'm more excited about Fire Gamin (who I can only use with one master) than I am about some of the Guild Minions...

Hmm Ill have to go back and reread their stats. I was under the impression choosing the damage left the counter on the model. Which I rationalized to myself thinking. If you take the damage you are still on fire where as u take slow (use an action to extinguish the flame) and it drops off. Probably some combination of wishful thinking and not reading through carefully lol.

I proxied 1 in a Raspy/Kaeris crew a couple weeks ago. It did quite well, considering that it was my only melee piece. Helped slow down the opponent's Gaki a little bit.

One thing to note though...Shikome don't give a flip about Burning Tokens, as they just choose to take Slow, which they ignore, and remove the token at the end of the round. :(

Outside of that though, the Gamin did pretty well, IMO. I think it will be somewhat situational as to when they will be most effective, but if you know you're facing a melee heavy list, their burning armor is freakin awesome. 1 Wd to start with PLUS a Burning Token? Heck ya.

I don't know that I will use them THAT much outside of lists that include Kaeris, as I think capitalizing on the Burning Tokens is the real key. But they seem like decent additions, and the only reason to run Ice Gamin instead is because of Frozen Heart or Bite of Winter, which you can make up for in other ways. I think a mix of Fire and Ice Gamin should actually work quite well together.

Burning Tokens: In the Resolve effects stage, a model with any number of burning tokens removes all burning tokens and either suffers 1 Wd or gains Slow(their controllers choice)

Page 19 of the Rule Manual

So for crews other then Kaeris of ASonnia there is never any reason to give a model more then one burning token.

I proxied 3 with my sonnia crew this weekend and they were my MVPs of the crew. They took out a Bad JuJu, 1 Silurids and dropped 2 others down to one wound a piece. The burning tokens help with Sonnia's avatar (although not in the game). I plan on playing them again this weekend.

I have yet to try them with the Archanists.

I proxied 3 with my sonnia crew this weekend and they were my MVPs of the crew. They took out a Bad JuJu, 1 Silurids and dropped 2 others down to one wound a piece. The burning tokens help with Sonnia's avatar (although not in the game). I plan on playing them again this weekend.

I have yet to try them with the Archanists.

Thanks for the feedback! Because I don't play Guild, I always forget (even though it's really obvious) that Sonnia can make use of the Fire Gamin.

Considering that they play well with her Avatar, and Kaeris' general game plan, I anticipate most of the reports about them will come from people using Sonnia or Kaeris, which will also likely involve their ability to make good use of the Burning Tokens the Gamins can kick out, but I'm also hoping more general knowledge will come out of the discussion.

In any case, its awesome to hear that they were so useful in your game! Were there aspects of their rules that were more useful than others?

For example, I anticipate their Burning Blood and Blazing Glory rules to be the stars of the show, as it'll make them a menace once they get stuck in. I can see their ranged attacks being useful, but at the same time, unless you're going to get off a particularly nice shot I think its better to get them stuck in quickly. After that, they can feebly claw at their opponents until they explode. ;)

Sonnia and Kaeris can hire them regardless of other things, but so can all other Arcanist masters. The reason the rule mentions Kaeris is because she normally wouldn't be able to hire them if she was leading the crew as they are not an M&SU Asset.

My interpretation was that you could only hire them if you had Kaeris or Sonnia, kind of like Malifaux raptors only being hireable with Marcus, Zoraida, or with an Austringer.

Just to rubber stamp it, someone else asked this same question in the Rules Forum:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25227&highlight=fire+gamin

Answer: all Arcanists may hire Fire Gamin. The proviso is there (as others have mentioned) to allow Kaeris (who can only hire M&SU models if she leads a crew,) and Sonnia (who can't hire them at all normaly,) to take them.

Flame on, Arcanists. :)