Quick Sonnia "Magic Seeker" question

Malcontent

Hang on – cover doesn't affect spells?!

Can't find any reference to this at all.

All I can find is on pg 50 of the RM –

"Spells with a melee or range icon in their Rg are melee and ranged attack Spells respectively and follow the targeting rules for those types of attacks. Modifiers that affect melee or ranged attacks affect these Spells as well."

Would that not include cover modifiers?… or have I missed something?

So now that we've established that, can I go back to the scenario –

If Sonnia is stood facing a wall (like the naughty kid in school) and Raspy is on the other side standing several inches away in essentially an open field, are we still saying that Raspy would get a cover bonus and Sonnia would have a neg flip to cast from the wall she has her nose against when casting Flame Burst?

(Apologies for being pedantic)

If Sonnia is stood facing a wall (like the naughty kid in school) and Raspy is on the other side standing several inches away in essentially an open field, are we still saying that Raspy would get a cover bonus and Sonnia would have a neg flip to cast from the wall she has her nose against when casting Flame Burst?

My understanding for receive cover bonus is that the TARGET model has to be within 1" of the covering terrain (be it blocking or obscuring) to receive that bonus.

Indeed. But if Sonnia were to cast Violation of Magic instead, she'd have a normal straight flip since there's no :ranged and as such no cover.

EDIT: Didn't read about the Open field bit. I does indeed state that the target needs to be within 1" of the obscuring/blocking object.

Edited by Soundwave

Summary:

So we have determined that spells WITHOUT the :ranged are NOT affect by the cover rules, CORRECT?

And that in order for cover rules to come into effect the spell has to have the :ranged icon and for the TARGET to be at least 1" away from the providing cover. IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THE ATTACKER IS STANDING NEXT TO COVER....correct?

I think you guys are confusing things

Page 15 of the rules manual spells it all out

If a any line drawn from the base of one model hits a piece of obscuring or blocking terrain then the model being targetted gets cover if its within 1" (Page 15, determining LOS, bullet 2)

This means that if you are behind cover and shooting at a target your cover is not also granting the other model cover. You only get cover if you are within 1" of a terrain piece partially blocking the LOS

The point under blocking terrain referenced above is for the odd times when two models are shooting at each other from near point blank ranges. If they are both shooting over a piece of cover they are within 1" of each other neither gets cover.