Interested in Malifaux

Razzle

Hi all, I currently play Warmachine/Hordes after retiring my 40k/Fantasy interests. I have grown to really enjoy the skirmish gameplay style and Malifaux caught my eye at GenCon but I was too busy to look into it further.

I'm interested in starting, but I have no idea where to begin. The one thing I know for certain is that I really like the Lady Justice sculpt and would like to collect around her if I could. I looked at the boxed set for her but I don't know how much I like the other models in that set. I was wondering if there are any other options for her and if so what they would be.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards.

Lady Justice is a fun master. Lucky for you she doesn't really need the rest of her box set to operate. A lot of people like the Judge and I personally think the Death Marschals are great but you there is very little synergy between them and Lady justice.

Other options she is good with

Witchling Stalkers. They are similar to Death Marshals power wise. They are little less shooty but better in melee combat. They can benefit from Lady justices Melee expert buffs.

Guild Hounds. I have a player who swears by her and 6 dogs. I am not sure how effective it is but it does make a good early strike.

Ortegas Gunslingers. These guys are more expensive but also very good to take with her. Nino is an asset in any list(he has a very long range and lots of cool abilities to shoot guys from far away). Santiago is also not bad as a mid range support model.

The guild in general works well with itself. You can mix and match models and still get a lot of good results.

Just another quick question, do I need to buy the Rising Powers or Twisted Fates books?

Or do I just need the rule book?

You can get away with just the Rulebook and the cards that come with the model, however a lot of crews are quite tricksy so it's quite useful to know what your opponents models can do.

To play, just the rulebook (small/mini ~5"x8" book, not older 8"x11" version) is needed (plus the cards that come with the models).

Rising powers, the older 8"x11" rulebook are all useful for reading background stories and researching your own and your opponent's armies, but are not required and in certain places are out of date (mostly in the rules, strategies and schemes section, but also for certain model rules). 100% optional but suggested purchases.

Twisting Fates has the new rules for Avatars, not included in the mini rulebook, as well as new model selections, so while it's still optional (as long as you don't use any avatars), you'll probably want to pick it up.

If you go with the Lucius Guild Guard list you might want to look at Lady J's Avatar too. Nix from the gamers lounge says that her Avatar works very well in turning crews full of low cost models into effective crews. I'm not certain how the interaction of Lucius in the list would work, but I'm a big fan od Lucius in Lady J lists.

So this Twisting Fates book includes all of the latest and up to date core rules, in addition to all the new content? That sounds like a winner, unless I'm missing something.

No, the one you want for the most up to date core rules is the $15 mini rulebook. But Twisting Fates was printed after that and includes just the new rules (like for Avatar forms), so you may want to consider picking that up too so you have a complete ruleset. But the mini rulebook is the most cost effective and important route to take.

Welcome to the game!

Just a note on the rulebook, do NOT buy the $35 full sized book 1 Malifaux (unless you are like me and want the fluff/pics, etc). The rules have been updated since then, and I know some hobby stores still have a few copies of book 1 on the shelf. Save yourself some money and buy the $15 mini-rulebook as was suggested.