Lucius

the_madhatter1

As Lucius is a henmchman he has a fairly restricted choice of Minions.

His box set is worth picking up as you will use several things from it each game.

Ryle is a good shooting model, The Guard Captain is great in CC with an ok gun and some interesting spells, and the box comes with a different sculpt for the guard. The laywer is a situation pick of a model, but in high enough point games he can do some great things

Other important purchases include

2 Guild Austringer, an extra pack of Guild guard, A pack (or 2) of Hounds and a totem (either drill sergent or Govenors proxy).

I started with his starter, and generally will form the core of my crew from them.

The starter box is a great start for playing Lucius as just about every model barring the Lawyer will make a regular appearance in ANY list you make. Because Lucius is a henchman his selection of models is limited to:

Austringer, Guard, Captain, Hound, Warden, Ryle, Lawyer, Drill Sarge and Governors Proxy.

Though it may seem like a limited selection of models it does not mean that Lucius cannot do most strategies. He is versatile enough by himself that even when I run my "stock" list for Lucius leading a crew I tend to do quite well regardless of who I am against.

The key to victory with Lucius is the same as his down fall. He relies solely on his crew to do all of his work. He is an excellent buffer character as he can make your models strike or walk whenever they need to with "Issue Command" but if no one is left alive Lucius' effectiveness goes down the drain and the most you can hope for is simply stay alive.

In my signature is a link for the Malifaux Fan made Wiki... There is a ton of information there for questions like this.

Lucius is the only Guild boxset I <don't> have... but from what I understand he slingshots models into the middle of the board. Having models that have long range and good melee would probably be good additions to your crew.

I'm also a new player and would like to know what peoples' experiences have been using Lucius in Perdita's or Lady J's crew. He seems like he brings a lot of sweet abilities but 10 points is an awfully high price tag. Plus, I'm worried if I slingshot Lady J up the table too quickly she'll catch a beat down.

Thanks,

Brett

Pine Box Lady J after she casts Sword Style and takes defensive stance; then slingshot the Death Marshal up the field, effectively moving LJ up the field. Your opponent will have two options: kill the DM, releasing LJ OR let the DM reek havoc on their crew...

That's something I never fully comprehended, people take a 10ss model purely to vault their master forward. Don't get me wrong its great to get the first strike but most times that I see this strategy Lucius is useless after 1 turn...OR their master is surrounded by enemies and soon dies. I guess if you are facing someone who is not ready for this you can catch them unaware...