Victorian City Board

guynamedFleck

Another bit of work done on the boards. I spent an evening finishing off the wood floors of the platform. I still need to do the same for the clock tower on the second board and do the wood floors in the upper levels of the buildings.

I also put in a good four hours "sanding" the ground around the tracks and getting started on the cobblestones.

Here's the current progress.

293993_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20115.jpg

293994_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20116.jpg

293995_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20117.jpg

293996_sm-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20118.jpg

Next Sunday was the unofficial finish date for the board. If I really push on, I may still be able to make it. We will see, there is a lot of cobble stone on these boards and I still have the train to build! Suppose I should figure out a way to make the breech too...

Oh well, until next time!

Looking very good.

Suppose I should figure out a way to make the breech too...

If you are talking about making a shimmering extradimensional portal for the frame you have for the breach, then I might have a suggestion for you...

Clear acetate paper (available from your local office supply shop). On this you can either print a design using a color computer printer (best done with a laser color printer) or paint one on using thinned paints or inks/ Washes (would recommed spraying on a matte sealer prior to applying paint to enhance adhesion). The cool part about this method is it will allow some light to show thru yet still provide a tangible boundary. For extra impact you can paint some irredescent medium over it to make it sparkle and shimmer.

If going the printed route these Images of the stargate should give you a decent start. Of course if you want something a little less recognizable you can always play your favorite music on your computer while the visualizer feature is on and use print screen to capture the colors and effects you are looking for (alot more random and time consuming but it will definately be your own).

• 4 months later...

Wow, where has the time gone? Let just chalk this extended delay up to Cincinnati weather. My mistake was coming up with a cobblestoning method that relied on melting foam. A problem with the method is that it is difficult to do safely when you cannot open the windows (and garage door) for proper ventilation. Well, fast forward a few months and cincinnati weather has decided winter is over and summer has begun (yes that is correct, spring is right out, straight on from mid-30's one day to high 70's the next!).

Anyway, I decided to act while the weather gods were feeling chipper and pushed through finishing the cobblestone work on the last two boards! Here is where we are now.

341964_mb-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20119.jpg341965_mb-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20120.jpg

341966_mb-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20121.jpg341967_mb-Malifaux%20Victorian%20City%20WIP%20122.jpg

I got a bit bored of the same old cobblestones and needed some more texture to break up the train board, so I made a second tool for a more rectangular stone. You can see it used on the sidewalk along the tracks.

Since I ran out of mordheim buildings, I was left with an extra large space on the one board (and about an extra hour of cobblestoning work). This shouldn't really be too much of an issue since we have a considerable set of resin terrain features at the flgs to populate this area, but I have a fun little project that I have been thinking about dong to add to the tables. I've always wanted a carnival, so I'm thinking a few caravans and a ticket booth to layout the entrance to the carnival! This will hopefully appease the locals that have been waiting patiently for the last 2 boards.

The primer is currently drying on the cobblestones, so aside from doing the wood floors on the buildings the base construction is done. All thats left is paint, the train, and the carnival bits.

Woohoo, its good to be back!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you had the time to finish it off?

How modular are to pieces?

WLSFK

I can answer at least some of your questions. He's not finished it, but I have been badgering him a bit because I want to play on it. He's been lost in Dead Game Limbo for a few weeks trying to play necromancer with some defunct game systems. As to how modular it is, each piece is two by two feet. All of the buildings are attached and we have a drawer full of boxes, barrels and fences to add to them.