"One Mac Mourning for take away please"

Orboros

Welcome fellow players.

So i recently bought my, fluff-wise, favourite master, good ol' Douglas. I wanted to try a Ressers crew for a long time now and after working in my summer vacation i just had to spend some money on a few undead models.

What i try to achieve with this thread:

1. Some advice with my current List

2. Some tips or general discussion for his Avatar

3. Some advice for a match-up against Collodi specifically (aka i generate no corpscounters *insert troolface here*, whom i'm goin to face next week)

So my first attempt for a basic McMourning list:

35 SS

1 Mc Mourning

1 Zombie Chihuahua

4 Canine Remains

2 Punk Zombies

1 Dead Rider

1 Sebastian, Morgue assist ant

6 SS Pool

I took the 5 dogs for obvious reasons, the Dead Rider as my Beatstick/tank and Sebastian because i love sidekicks.

So why did i choose Punk Zombies over Necropunks?

1. I wanted to have some basic guys that don't die that fast but can dish out some damage, who act as my ''foot soldiers''

2. I am a Marcus player and i wanted to play a list once without leap

3. I don't like babys with spider legs

So is this basic list a good start to get into the doc?

Should i include Necropunks? (from other Threads i got the general feeling that they are auto-include)

How to use the Avatar in later lists?

I will gift everyone that helps me with my neverending trust and support in their evil resser-doing!

Feel free to discuss :)

tl;dr : Orboros needs help with McMourning

Edited by Orboros

Hmm well, I can give you my personal take on McMourning, but there are a lot of ways to play him. I consider him to be by leaps and bounds the best Rezzer master after Kirai, and against some lists and with certain scenarios, I think he actually edges her out.

Firstly when building a list, you need to make the decision; do I want to make my own corpse counters, or do I want to get them from the enemy? A lot of Rezzer players take dogs and spend a turn killing them, getting lots of corpse counters at the cost of SS and also the cost of a turn. That's normally bad as it puts you on the back foot. Instead consider this as a first turn:

Zombie Chihuahua cast wracked with pain on a dog (1bp)

Zombie Chihuahua moves

Dog Moves

McMourning casts Wracked on the Dead Rider (1bp)

McMourning Scalpel Slings the Chihuahua, moving to it (1bp, 0ap), then hits it and kills it (1bp+2bp from the corpse, 1ap)

McMourning hits the dog and kill it (2bp from the corpse, 2ap)

McMourning has now moved 5"~, has 1ap left, and 8 corpse counters with minimal wastage of models and he's still moved.

In the Dead Rider's turn, it can heal up to max. Dead Rider really shines with McMourning, giving you the ability to chop bits off him without investing SS or giving away kills.

If you want less corpse counters than this and dont want to potentially feed a strategy like Kidnap, you can leave out the dog, have both McM and the Chiahuahua wrack the Dead Rider, and when it heals it will still be up to 8.

The upshot of all that being; you can generate yourself a good starting BP cache without needing to sac a load of dogs or waste lots of AP.

Quick comment on your list: I find Sebastian too slow every time I play him. He's fine in theory but 4" Wk + Cb 5 makes him just a bit unreliable, so I dont run him. I find Punk Zombies are a pain for a different reason; great, reliable hitters, but the lack of +ap and their slow move makes them a pain to use. If you're going to run them, you absolutely have to run Belles. Finally, I always run McMourning with an 8 cache when possible. He can really dish out pain when he wants to but often needs SS help to keep him alive; when you pull this off, though, you can waste a lot of enemy activations when he heals himself back up to full.

Finally, the list I currently run with its variants:

McMourning

Chiahuahua

Von Schill

Grave Spirit

Dead Rider

2x Belle

Night Terror (or change to Canine if no objective grabbing needed / I want body parts)

Canine Remains (or not, depending if I want SS or BP)

Firstly when building a list, you need to make the decision; do I want to make my own corpse counters, or do I want to get them from the enemy? A lot of Rezzer players take dogs and spend a turn killing them, getting lots of corpse counters at the cost of SS and also the cost of a turn. That's normally bad as it puts you on the back foot.

Datsue-Ba actually seems like she might be a valid alternative that doesn't slow down the crew by quite as much.

Two Canines and Datsue. First canine activates and damages the second one without killing him. Second one activates and does the same to the first one. Then, Datsue kills them both and turns them into corpse counters and Gaki/Onryo depending on cards. These fresh Gaki/Onryo can move straight away, so the slow down in minimized. Finally, Chihuahua or someone can pick up the corpse counters so the slow down to the Master is minimized as well.

The end result is two corpses, two spirit minions and a pretty nice activation sequence on the first turn giving you the possibility to react to enemy movement as you are likely to out-activate them on the first turn (though there are some exceptions).

I haven't tried this in practice (and my Rising Powers is loaned away currently) so this is all theory but it sounds nice enough on paper I think.

OK, take what i say with a pinch of salt as i'm still learning McMourning too, but i'll throw an opinion in the ring

- McMourning himself, fragile to accurate hitters if they generate enough damage to drop him, definitely will be awnting those soulstones for defence, but if they don't kill him in an activation then they'll have to go through it all again from the top, love his self-healing

- Dogs, not been all that impressed with them, so fragile at only 3w (though it likely doesn't help i was against Lilith & Nephilim, damn black blood), but can understand why you wouldn't want necropunks (for the same reasons i personally love the little monstrosities)

- What Calmdown said about not necessarily needing many dogs to get an impressive amount of body parts early on, i ran 4 canines in my test game and only had cause to butcher one myself, in future i'll likely try 1-2 max

- Sebastian, true he's slow, but i found him really very survivable and very hard hitting, proved to be a real thorn in my opponents side

That's about all i can comment on but needless to say i'll be watching this thread to get advice myself

I started with McM and he's certainly my favourite. I play a very traditional list that generally focusses on cutting up my opponent firstly then completing objectives. As Calmdown said, he's very competitive but you'll find he really struggles against some masters - particularly those that like Wp duels.

I use 4 dogs but only ever cut one of them up for body parts. Dogs are cheap, fast and can charge cheap making them a minor threat to lower defense models. Importantly they also buy activations so you can delay McM as long as possible which becomes very important when managing his health.

Seb is a bit slow but his damage potential is very solid and he can also pulse if swarmed. I use him more as an anchor and a speed bump.

I recommend against punk zombies without a model to help bring the enemy in. While they hit hard they won't kill a model without flurrying so combined with their low walk and wounds you'll struggle to recover their SS in value. For punch i like Bete Noire but you can also try the dead rider. The utility and table control of belles (and crooked men) should also be considered.

Lastly whilst you dislike the necropunk models you'll find them very handy in some strategies, the burst of speed and potential to challenge support models makes them very versatile. Don't forget they have hard to kill which makes them fairly resilient.

The list i use last night in a reconnoiter vs Lady J with plant evidence was:

McM 8SS

Chihuahua

3 canines

1 necropunk

2 belles

1 crooked man

Seb