Cold weather effect on models

Cadilon

The Northern Indiana chill in the air this morning reminded me that (really) cold weather is on its way sooner than I'd like. As a new miniature gamer and model painter I haven't yet carried my precious models through the cold of any winters. Is there anything to be careful of when storing and transporting painted models through various temperatures in the winter? I am talking temperature variations of 0°F (-17°C) while stored in the car all day to 78°F (25°C) and more humid indoors.

I can see the potential of changes in humidity and temperature expanding and contracting the metal enough to loosen paint.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Metal expands in response to temperature changes, not humidity. However, the pieces are small enough that the expansion and contraction will be negligable and the paint will stretch without any problems. I wouldn't worry about it. Provided that you don't take the figure out of the car and throw it in a pot of boiling water, the thermal changes shouldn't cause any problems.

The Northern Indiana chill in the air this morning reminded me that (really) cold weather is on its way sooner than I'd like. As a new miniature gamer and model painter I haven't yet carried my precious models through the cold of any winters. Is there anything to be careful of when storing and transporting painted models through various temperatures in the winter? I am talking temperature variations of 0°F (-17°C) while stored in the car all day to 78°F (25°C) and more humid indoors.

I can see the potential of changes in humidity and temperature expanding and contracting the metal enough to loosen paint.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've never had any issues with just transporting my models in foam and keeping the bag covered in the car. However when it's really hot or really cold I tend to bring them inside while I'm at work and keep them under my desk.

I've never had any issues with just transporting my models in foam and keeping the bag covered in the car. However when it's really hot or really cold I tend to bring them inside while I'm at work and keep them under my desk.

Mostly this. My models are in foam, in a case, in my trunk. I never worry except in extreme heat.

The only issues you can have is with spray prime or spray clear coats. If you need to spray keep the can indoors while you shake the crap out of it. Once it's mixed walk out, spray, and bring everything back inside. I have done this when the temp was well into the negatives and had no issues. Had to prime 90 Fantasy Night Goblins and not a single one had an issue.

Edited by Backno

Having lived and played in several very different temp ranges (San Diego Summers, Detroit winters and New Orleans Summers) I can say that for the most part Heat, Cold and humidity dont do much to the models when completed. The glue can become a bit brittle in the heat.

Now the big problems occur before they are completed and mainly with spray cans.