Nicodem Avatar... corpse counters?

Mach_5

I'm just noticing that Nicodem's Avatar can't do anything with corpse counters, was this an oversight?

Corpse Counters that drop within 6" of him automatically become mindless zombies, and he can upgrade mindless zombies to punk zombies; but if he comes across a corpse counter already on the ground, or if he is given one from a canine remains etc then he can't actually do anything with it.

Seems odd, no?

I'm just noticing that Nicodem's Avatar can't do anything with corpse counters, was this an oversight?

Corpse Counters that drop within 6" of him automatically become mindless zombies, and he can upgrade mindless zombies to punk zombies; but if he comes across a corpse counter already on the ground, or if he is given one from a canine remains etc then he can't actually do anything with it.

Seems odd, no?

Given how his Avatar functions, once AoD hits the table, you're no longer playing a traditional Resser. He no longer needs to be able to collect those parts, and will instead just focus on churning out bodies, and upgrading them.

Seems odd, no?

Well, he, or any of your crew can just pick them up, then drop them within 6" of him, then watch them become Mindless Zombies.

Sorry Sobek, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Pg 18 of the Rules Manual:

A model moving over or touching a Counter can choose to immediately gain that counter if it is eligible to do so. A model is eligible to gain a counter if, at the time it gains the counter, it has the appropriate characteristic or, possesses a talent or spell that uses it.

So not everyone in your crew can pick up a Corpse Counter. Only models that are Graverobbers or have a spell or talent that uses the counters can pick them up.

Secondly, again from Page 18:

A model cannot voluntarily drop any carried counters or pass them to another model unless a special rule allows it to do so.

So unfortunately even once you send your graverobbers out they can't give Nicodem any of the counters they pick up.

Mortimer, Molly and Rafkin - Nicodem is probably the only Ressurrectionist who has great use for each of these three "assistants" and every one of them can use the counters to summon new stuff (even if it takes more to do that).

With Nicodem churring out Punk Zombies en masse, you don't need anything but utility from the few Corpse Counters that may remain outside Nico's range. In terms of losing access to models, Rogue Necromancy and Flesh Constructs become unavailable and that's it (as far as I remember).

A bit scary, but I think one would need to up MZ count to 9 or so and get at least 6, possibly 9 Punk Zombies to go with his Avatar...