Ortega vs Levi 25ss

Hoyled

So me and the other main Malifaux player had our 4th game. We’ve got the basics down pretty solid and it was a really fun game so I figured I’d put up a quick battle report. First time I’ve used Levi with nonstarter models, so hopefully I used them right.

Scrap 25ss Ortega’s vs. Levi

Perdita 3ss cache

Ortega starter box 25ss

Destroy the evidence, Breakout (announced), Hold the Line (hidden)

Leveticus 0ss cache

Hooded Rider 8ss

2x Necropunks 6ss

Killjoy 11ss

Total 25ss

Supply wagon, thwart, kill protégé Santiago

Field and deployment- Terrain consisted of a few small hills and large rocks breaking up the table and a large stone platform right near the middle. The Ortega’s set up their objectives on the far right as close together as the rules allowed, I set the supply wagon right in the middle of my deployment zone. The Ortega’s set up right across from the evidence markers in a line. I set Levi and the rider across from the objectives, and flanked the wagon with the Necropunks.

Turn1

I set the Hooded Rider to night, and win initiative. Everybody moves up and aside from Levi taking a few wounds from Necromantic Sacrifice nothing else happens.

Turn 2

I win initiative again. I activate Levi and companion the waif. Death’s Lessons reveals a pair of high cards right on top, and Levi Necromantic Sacrifices into range of Nino. Between Unnatural Wasting and Necrotic Unmaking Levi is down to 1 wound and I’m up a SPA.

Perdita activates next and companions Santiago. She walks, obeys Santiago forward, and then misses the SPA. Santiago activates and casts bloodstorm, wasting Levi, the SPA and hurts the Hooded Rider. Not much else happens, the Hooded Rider misses his mounted combat on Santiago, and everybody else positions themselves for next turn. Levi comes back and it’s on to turn 3.

Turn 3

Ortega’s get initiative. Perdita walks into melee so she can gunfighter the Hooded Rider. A red joker on damage plus a severe removes the Hooded Rider. Levi activates next and has another good round of casting. Santiago gets turned into an SPA and I net 2 VP.

Papa Loco activates, moves forward into my Necropunks and explodes. The two Necropunks take their slow to die actions, one summons Killjoy and the other kills Papa Loco injuring Killjoy as a result. Killjoy misses his hook chain attack at Francisco. Francisco moves up and destroys an evidence marker. The SPA heads toward Francisco.

Turn 4

Perdita wins initiative. Killjoy Blood Price charges the SPA, dead SPA. Francisco shuffles around a boulder lining up for an assault on the wagon. Killjoy follows after him. Perdita spends her turn grabbing another evidence marker for 2vp. Levi dies to a quick draw attack trying to Unnatural Wasting Perdita.

Turn 5

I win initiative. Killjoy Blood Prices into Francisco and misses. Killjoy activates and gets onslaught, between the two attacks Francisco dies, and tons of fun has a snack and moves. Perdita guns it to the last objective marker and earns Breakout in the process. Levi attempts for the old touch of death on Perdita and fails.

Turn 6

Perdita wins initiative. Killjoy Blood Price charges the hollow waif, but is short. Perdita runs like heck, I fluff my disengaging strike with Levi, and that’s game.

Final score Perdita 7 Levi 6

Really close game. Very fun. The only real rules issues we might have had were during turn 3, when the first punk killed papa and he boomed. We decided both slow to die actions occurred at the same time and papa boomed after. Also whether gunfighter bypassed night on Hooded Rider.

Perdita running for her life, greiving for her dead mutated family, but yeah for the win. Its the first game I havent been swept off the table by my friends Ortegas but the other games were with a really basic gremlins crew and the missions usually made me venture into the Ortega death pocket.

Its also worth mentioning that this was the first game my opponent saw Levi in action, rather then shuffling up the wrong side of the field, in the only other game Ive played with him (which ended turn 2 anyway). Watching his jaw drop as Nino got wasted and left an SPA wedged between the Ortega advance was pretty funny.

Perdita running for her life, greiving for her dead mutated family, but yeah for the win. Its the first game I havent been swept off the table by my friends Ortegas but the other games were with a really basic gremlins crew and the missions usually made me venture into the Ortega death pocket.

Its also worth mentioning that this was the first game my opponent saw Levi in action, rather then shuffling up the wrong side of the field, in the only other game Ive played with him (which ended turn 2 anyway). Watching his jaw drop as Nino got wasted and left an SPA wedged between the Ortega advance was pretty funny.

Oh absolutely. If you can close ranks on the Ortegas, they fall. This is why Francisco is very useful as a guard, if you don't have the stones to take a Guardian.

Looking back on it i had a few thoughts on this game. First Nino had to die first turn 2. Without a control hand or SS cache a pair of headshots would have taken out Levi and the waif.

I also should have ignored Perdita turn 4 and pumped out some SPA's from the counters the Hooded Rider left behind. I could then use their movement tricks to hopefully swarm Perdita by turn end giving me 3 disengaging strikes and 3 pulses of caustic aura on her. With her high df it likely wouldnt help much but I think it would have been the better choice.