Miranda and arcanists lists

Given that miranda can turn into a beast that costs more than her own soulstone cost why would you not simply hire her for any arcanist list when you wanted a rattler or cerberus (or any other 8ss cost beast)?

Unless you absolutely needed the beast to be in play at the beginning of its activation I can't think of a reason.

Because she doesn't take over the spells of the new model, so the important stuff for a cerberus, like leap, cannot be done by her, unless you happen to have another one on the table near her to copy it from. Other than that I have started including her in lists to try out. Hell she gives me the chance to try out other beasts I haven't used before.

Best use I know of for her is in non-marcus lists.

Turn into a Malifaux Raptor, attack you own master, and get the trigger to turn you master into a beast for the rest of the game. Then enjoys having a super totem which when within 6 inches of you master can cast all their spells using a 6 :tomes and furious casting.

Ramos and Rasputina are amazing targets for it.

Myranda is getting a bit of a new lease on life with the Book 3 releases, though her primary benefits are still in a Marcus list. As others have said, shapechanging with her is kind of card heavy, and her other abilities mesh better with crews that have beasts around normally. However, the "super totem" trick is cool (haven't tried it myself,) and its a way to get a Shikome into any Arcanist list (though you'd need to burn an (all) the next turn to get her a new prey.)

With McTavish and a Malifaux Raptor, you can get two "beast obeys" a turn (great in a Marcus crew,) and with her Companion, you can sequence that beast's activation to maximize the extra movement from the free charge.

Also, the Mauler is a fantastic mid/late game beast for Marcus' crew, and he's right on the upper edge of what Myranda can shapechange into. Great way to get some extra hitting power into the crew later in the game if you need it (Myranda has a good melee trigger, but she's kind of pillow fisted for 7 SS.)

Also, I may be off on this, as I don't use her shapechange much, but wouldn't that also allow you to get around the rare limitation on the Mauler? The only thing better than one angry bear in the endgame is a pair of angry bears. ;)

Regardless, I think there's also some decent synergy with the Mauler's inherent abilities and shapechange: if Myranda is wounded when she transforms, you keep the same damage on her, so she could instantly transform into a pissed off bear!

Edited by Nephalumps

Best use I know of for her is in non-marcus lists.

Turn into a Malifaux Raptor, attack you own master, and get the trigger to turn you master into a beast for the rest of the game. Then enjoys having a super totem which when within 6 inches of you master can cast all their spells using a 6 :tomes and furious casting.

Ramos and Rasputina are amazing targets for it.

I don't know if Ramos and Rasputina can hire it

It might be Arcanist, but read trainable, only Marcus, Zoriadia and crews with Austringers can hire them

I don't know if Ramos and Rasputina can hire it

It might be Arcanist, but read trainable, only Marcus, Zoriadia and crews with Austringers can hire them

In this case, I don't think CannonFodder is suggesting hiring the Raptor, but hiring Myranda and then transforming her into a Raptor. You are correct in that Marcus, Zoriadia, and Austringer bearing Guild crews can hire them.

Myranda's shape shifting ability is the only way you can get Raptors into any other Arcanist crew (which is kind of funny considering that she is the minion that benefits most from their trigger.) As a Raptor, she can get the "beast out" trigger on your crew's Master, then shapechange back to benefit from it in her human form.

Its a pretty card intense combo (9:tomes for the transformation, a :tomes card for the Raptor's trigger, probably a low card for the Raptor's damage cheat, and whatever other suited cards you need to take advantage of the Master's spell list,) but it is a way to have two models roaming around, tossing powerful spells.

Once you have your Master beasted out, you can always try to heal them with Myranda (though that's also card contingent,) and she can also Beast Companion them for back-to-back spell slinging. Could definitely be nasty with Rasputina or Ramos.

With Ramos and a Mobile Toolkit it only takes a 9 and any :tomes. On the first turn give her a :tomes from the Mobile Toolkit, transform into a Raptor using a 9, then you use the :tomes to get attack trigger to make Ramos a beast. Then the rest of the game Miranda and Ramos both get :tomes from the mobile toolkit to be really strong casting force.

• 3 months later...

I use Myranda mainly as a spellcaster, so combined with Silent one or SnowStorm (also Rogue Necro, but there's less spell output there). With silent one, that's a max of 6 casting of her blast spell if you count casting expert and furious casting, with twice Ca 6, it's pretty neat. Also Myranda is kind of the only model for healing beasts at the moment (beside Marcus himself, but that's a bit wasting his Aps), together with Silent one, so they're nice for keeping the furry things alive. Then when Myranda's done with casting and if I have the card I can always turn into a melee beast, but that's usually my secondary option and usually late game (time to get the card in hand).

Also remember that if you play Marcus defensively, you don't necessarily have to have the raptor beastify Silent One, you can use Marcus' spell on her just for the turn you need Myranda to copy the spells (those tomes are sometimes really hard to get, I did spend some 3 turns trying to turn SnowStorm into a beast...!)

:)

Edited by poulpox