Toy Soldier Doubles - Stockport - 19-20th November 2011

ukrocky

I've been thinking of coming to this since I don't think I'll be making it to the GT *sobs*.

I'll be aiming to have Gremlins ready to roll by November, and will be looking for a brawl partner.

I do share the disappointment at the lack of prize support though. Looks to be the same as the last Toy Soldier tournament where the first and second places won a 3D printed trophy. With the high entry fee I don't think it unreasonable to expect a box set for first place and a single miniature for second, or a small amount of store credit...

Mike

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so I've been told to take conversation here after hijacking the GT doubles thread so here goes;

The event was not a success, alot of teams pulled out last minute, leaving us with 4 teams. The plan changed to a 'round-robin' of doubles on day 1, followed by 2 singles games on sunday, and one player dropped out on sunday leaving just 3 singles games going on and me recovering from the night before in a corner.

The title was surprisingly hotly contested, with the following teams showing up on Saturday;

Duncan&Toby (Nicodem&Pandora)

Craig&Dan* (Marcus&Rasputina)

Oliver&Oliver (Chompy&Zoraida)

Christine&Kasper (Rasputina&Hamelin)

*Dan hadn't played before saturday, saturday was essentially an intro before he was set free on Sunday, 8-0'ing Oliver's unbeaten Chompy with Rasputina, (Rasputina had Evidence, Assassinate and Bodyguard vs Slaughter, Assassinate and Hold out). Before the game I would have said 8-0 to an experienced chompy player, but the essence of power killed Chompy, Dreamer and Coppelious. Amazing game.

Dan then played Hamelin game 2 of singles and managed a draw. Simply amazing by Dan.

After Toby dropped out on day 2, Dan moved into Duncan's team, taking Duncan's TP's and the average of the VP difference and it all came down to the last games.

As for the rules which is where I hijacked the other doubles threads, the following feedback I wholeheartedly agree on;

- Every player flipping for activation. I wouldn't do it, IF allies were strict, ie, Brawl compatabile. IMO it was correct for the form it was in, as Hamelin and Rasputina would prove, if Hamelin could spend all of the other teams turn activating, leaving Rasputina's whole crew free, it wouldn't have worked IMO.

- Every player having a hand. An interesting one, but I would probably try and have one hand of 8 next time, however I'm not wholly sure.

- 10ss max between the team. Yeah, seemed alright.

Any other questions with regards to the rulespack is more than welcome, so we're not hijacking Jo's stuff.

The final results after day 1 were;

Craig&Dan 7TPs

Oliver&Oliver 7TPs

Chris&Kasper 3TPs

Duncan&Toby 0TPs

Which saw me and Dan drop out, and Dan replace Toby for day 2.

In day 2;

Dan managed 4TPs

Duncan managed 6TPs

Oliver's managed 3TPs

Meaning it all came down to VP difference which Dan&Duncan won by 3 whole VPs.

Do I think the rulespack is perfect? No. Do I think it's awful? No. It's a start.

Edited by ukrocky

Maybe awful was a tad extreme but having each player flip for deployment does allow for some game breaking results. Malifaux is not written to allow one player to get 2 activations(except where allowed in the rules, companion etc) before the oponents get a chance. Dreamer/Chompy and twins is a prime example.

Yes but it also wasn't a hyper competitve event, and if someone wanted to bring that they could of, in fact, someone did. Having each player flip for initiative was an interesting mechanic and one I don't regret doing to be honest, as it did make you think, 'Well, they have 2 activations coming up, do I *really* want to do this'.