Fire!

nilus

Anyone have any good painting fire tutorials or advice?

Particularly on painting fire colors other then red/orange/yellow.

I failed at doing my Salmander in green flames and realized part of the problem was that I used only shades of green, so I am looking for advice on accent colors and just hints in general.

um... I don't know about PAINTING flames... but I'd remember your rainbow

ROYGBIV

technically speaking fire starts at white, then blue, then red then orange then yellow... which doesn't make sense...

but I had a chem teacher who started a blow torch, and showed us that fire starts at yellow (coolest) and move through the spectrum until it huts indigo, where it gets white due to the way our eyes see it... So, Yellow is the coolest... followed by orange, then red, then blue, then green then white... I think... haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bunsen_burner_flame_types_.jpg

Nothing wrong with all shades of green. This is all done with GW Snot Green. mixed with nothing but white and black.

th_100_1544.jpgth_100_1659.jpg

Lets see what you did and maybe we can figure out what you're doing wrong. Unless of course you hate my green fire.

The green looks really good. I already stripped him but I am going to give it another try and post my progress.

Just remember that it's hottest / lightest in the center and coolest / darkest at the tips. To make it look right you have to almost treat every flicker of flame as it's own fire. Good luck.

Best advice given. and its important to keep it in mind for all flames

Heres a traditional colour set that I did on a Marcus I painted up

marcus3.jpg

Just remember that it's hottest / lightest in the center and coolest / darkest at the tips. To make it look right you have to almost treat every flicker of flame as it's own fire. Good luck.

Yeah I think I got impatient and rushed it. Gonna give it another try when I get some time and really do it right.

Found this nice tutorial as well.

http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm

Should be able to apply the theory here to green flame.

Excellent tutorial Nilus. That guy explained everything to help people understand how it works. I picked up a nice tip myself, that extra little bit of lighter color at the very tip appears to make a big difference. I'm filing that away for future use.

You mentioned a lack of patience. That'll do it on most things and on fire it is even worse - especially considering the size of the model we're discussing.