Thoughts on Malifaux Raptors/or Hounds vs Watcher

robk

Does anyone here utilize either guild hounds or raptors to achieve some objectives for schemes/strategies.

I tend to rely on a watcher to assist in getting strategies/schemes as he can be out of threat range for alot of the game and then in turns 5/6 move and complete the scheme/strategy.

I'm thinking of using 3 raptors or 2 hounds to do the same and provide some offensive power to kill totems/severly wounded models. (Doesn't make sense to use a death marshall to shoot something with 1 wound left)

Only problem is that you need 3 raptors/2 hounds to make them significant so if you lose 1 they are almost worthless.

Thoughts? Has anyone used raptors/hounds in the game.

The raptor does require a austringer but against most builds the austringer is not a bad choice.

the raptors aren't bad because they are relatively cheap, though at 3 soul stones I still would think the Watcher being a better choice. Seeing as it can stay away from combat and use it's triggers to take WP talents.

also with the watcher you can top deck/control your deck somewhat, though i have to admit i have never tried the hounds and/or raptors.

The Watcher is almost certainly one of the better 3 Soul stone models in the whole game - and is also the best support model available to Guild hands down...

The other options are okay, but the Watcher is easier to use and more flexible in approach - you can't deal as much damage with it, but Guild can take plenty of other models to do that job, leaving the Watcher free to grab objectives, buff other models shooting and do a bit of deck control on the side...

I like the hounds for strategies or schemes that require you to have a certain amount of models either just on the board or in certain places.

For example, Eye for an Eye. At the end of the game I have my master and 2 hounds remaining.....if my opponent has 3 models in play, I make sure my hounds are close enough that they lose insig and I count as 3 models. If my opponent only has one model left, I send the hounds to the winds and only my master would count.

They're also pretty good as objective grabbers since they get the extra move when together and they can companion.

Also, you mentioned the Watcher so I assume you play Guild. Being able to hire 2 for 5 is a nice perk.

All that being said, I agree with Fearlord that the Watcher is a fantastic model - but it is fun to experiment with other things.

I'm going to be trying the Hounds soon, mainly with Lucius (since they're another model he can actually take!) - they just seem a little fragile...

I'm not sold on the Raptors though - I'm away from my books at the moment, but I don't remember seeing anything about not paying the extra soul stone for out of faction, which seems to make them quite pricy in my book, especially if you care about them not being insignificant...