The Dreaded FILTH list

nilus

Getting ground into the dirt because you don't "own the right models" is no fun either.

Because the game takes two willing participants, it takes both players to agree it is fun to work. If one doesn't, it won't be a fun game on either end.

I'm with Math. I do not enjoy curb-stomping my opponent. It's not a triumph of genius, its a flaw in the game. Whether that flaw is in a disparity of player skill/experience, or in game mechanics may vary.

I have minimal experience vs FILTH, no experience vs Dreamer, and minimal experience vs Hamelin.

I will not play a Hamelin player again. That game is not fun, whether I win or lose. I don't like how it plays. I think Wyrd messed up in the design there.

I can relate to people who don't like games where they feel they have no options and just lose every time. There comes a point where you decide that maybe it's not jut you, but the game.

However, the main point is: Saying people are annoying for having an opinion contrary to yours is not polite and does nothing to advance the conversation. There is no reason to be annoyed about the fact someone doesn't like X. It's their preference.

A kindered spirt you are kind sir!

I think far to many people miss the points you made far better than I.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then maybe you might consider playing a list that doesn't make people not want to play you. It's not like you have a right to a game, after all.

This gets at something I think is the root of the issue. you can play most games as a competitive solo activity- me vs you and I win when you lose, I have fun when you don't. It's zero sum.

Or you can play the game as a cooperative activity- we're playing the game to essentially tell a story that we both enjoy. Maybe it doesn't turn out exactly the way either of us thought it would but it's interesting to see how it plays out. What would happen if Rasputina met Nicodem out in the bayou when each is trying to plant evidence?

The problem is that broken lists tell a very poor story. It's a one sentence story every time- the broken list wins (barring utter incompetence of the broken list player). If all you care about is your zero sum game that's a fun time, for you. For people more interested in the cooperative game it makes no sense for them to waste their time playing you, they know how it ends and it's just not an interesting story.

If the game designers don't balance the game then of course players and people running tournaments will start refusing play for certain models/masters. They'd be crazy not to. Letting a small number of lists to ruin the entire hobby makes no sense at all.

Well said!

Hard to believe there are people who don't, or won't understand any of it though.

Its a game, that involves two players, if you don't think you will have fun playing a certain list, then don't. That other player will find someone who will enjoy the game or they will change thier list. It doesn't have to be a rude confrontation. If I am playing a game and the other player gets to the point that he is not having fun doesn't think he has a chance to win anymore and wants to call it, I will respect that. If i still think he has a chance I might mention it to him, but it is ultimatly his call on if he wants to keep playing this game.