Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My intention is not to discourage the purchase of the regular Wyrd decks, that I think are awesome. Just mentioning that for personal projects, like the one you are doing, artscow is a good site I used before.

Someone asked what I did: for those that know BoardGameGeek.com, they have an application to generate a deck of cards where each card contains the information about one board game in your collection. I printed my cards @artscow last year. I think I paid $10 for each deck.

They have several different products (you can have a watch with the picture of your favorite Malifaux Master if Wyrd gives you the copyrights for that) :), but one of them is a custom deck of 54 cards. Basically you provide the complete image for front and back of the cards, using an online editor they have on their web page and they print and send the deck to you. There are no symbols, letters or anything else in the cards that refer to them. It is just the art you asked them to print.

Quality is pretty decent, I had no complaints.

Ugh, spammer...

Thanks snord!

So I think I've opted to make the deck using standard Kings, Queens and Jacks. I still need to find good joker images cards though.

I found some really sweet looking vector cards for free use, so I mocked this bad boy up!

Behold the King of Masks!

King-of-Masks.jpg

What do you guys think of the blood stains for a severe damage indicator?

Edited by Xander

Yeah, it does look a bit too red. Maybe I will try some dry-blood-looking effect.

I don't want to do S, M and W though, even in blood. Not unless the blood marks don't ban out for some reason. Decent idea though.

I am really pleased with the cracked painted effect I was able to achieve. :)

That's a lovely looking mock card, though both the K and 13 seems a tad excessive. I can certainly understand why, but it feels a bit 'off' to me. The cracked paint effect is lovely, though the standard King design doesn't quite seem 'Malifaux' to me. Vague and indistinct I know, apologies for that.

Even so, very nice work so far!

That's a lovely looking mock card, though both the K and 13 seems a tad excessive. I can certainly understand why, but it feels a bit 'off' to me. The cracked paint effect is lovely, though the standard King design doesn't quite seem 'Malifaux' to me. Vague and indistinct I know, apologies for that.

Even so, very nice work so far!

I kinda like the 13... but you may be right. Maybe I could drop it.

I quite like the standard king, but I'd be open to alternatives. Find me some! They need to be vector based, or very large! I have some french ones, maybe I will try a mock up with those and get some feedback.

EDIT:

Thoughts on this design?

King-of-Masks_02.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's very useful!

Edited by Xander

I kinda like the 13... but you may be right. Maybe I could drop it.

I quite like the standard king, but I'd be open to alternatives. Find me some! They need to be vector based, or very large! I have some french ones, maybe I will try a mock up with those and get some feedback.

EDIT:

Thoughts on this design?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's very useful!

I like this king design a lot, way better than standard. I miss the #13 tho!

Also, the blood drops for W/M/S is great!

Also Also, if you have a pic of the king, is the K necessary, or couldnt you just have the 13, like french decks or whatever.

Edited by CalmPlains

I worked with my brother to come up with an idea on how to do K-13, Q-12, J-11, here's the result, let me know what you think. I really wanted to keep the "1" consistent throughout, so I think I achieved that. :)

10jqk.jpg

New mock up, no black outline on the suits/numbers - thoughts?

King-of-Masks_03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. I've been working on the print quality versions of all the face cards and I picked out a font for A-9. Additionally, thanks to feedback, I iterated my designs for both the suits and the J(11), Q(12), and the K(13) concept.

Let me know what you think. I am faily happy with these new designs, and I am ready to implement them onto the print quality cards. I figured I might as well get some feedback before I proceed in doing so.

suits-and-faces.png

Thanks Deus!

I tweaked the tome just now. Made the capital letter an "A" and put a small swirl icon on the right page. Some influences from the Archanist Tome graphic. I also adjusted the wings of the crow around the feet so that the feet are more visible -- I also added the crow's eye. :)

EDIT: Mocked up a 10 of Rams.

heart-ram-10.png

:rams

:)

Edited by Xander