The MASSIVE Disappointment that is...

CalmPlains

Feel a little stupid about hating the mini at first sight, the green actually looks good.

On the other hand I have to say the colour choice did no justice to the model and the photo was taken from the worst possible angle.

Every time I say I will wait to see the model in the flesh next time, and then get fooled by the first bad photo all the same...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is paint job and camera angle can make a huge difference to how you perceive a model. The Candy we saw straight off looked a bit rushed in the paint job as I said (I never said the model sculpt was rushed), the camera shot was from above which foreshortened the model and was at very low resolution.

Who could argue that the sculpt on the big guy here (I did convert the individual tentacles)

ancient_Osheroth.jpg

Doesn't look better than the sculpt here.

ancient_OsherothBefore.jpg

Though the sculpt is exactly the same. The second picture is lower rez, photo'd straight on and has a poor paint scheme and the tentacles have deformed during transport.

Edited by Ratty

All I can say is paint job and camera angle can make a huge difference to how you perceive a model. The Candy we saw straight off looked a bit rushed in the paint job as I said (I never said the model sculpt was rushed), the camera shot was from above which foreshortened the model and was at very low resolution.

Who could argue that the sculpt on the big guy here (I did convert the individual tentacles)

ancient_Osheroth.jpg

Doesn't look better than the sculpt here.

ancient_OsherothBefore.jpg

Though the sculpt is exactly the same. The second picture is lower rez, photo'd straight on and has a poor paint scheme and the tentacles have deformed during transport.

Any excuse to show of your lovely work eh?! :D

Is it just me or does it look like the green and the model in shown on the store's photo look too different to be the same thing?

There are similarities but some things (the left arm and the fringe mainly) look too different to explain away with poor camera angle.

Like the model in the picture was an earlier version of the sculpt that was used in the photo as the final version wasn't ready yet.

Apologies all I was unable to sneak away from Puppetwars demos long enough to snap a better Picture of Avatar Candy (better angle, closer up and with out the glass in the way) even though she was right behind me the entire time. I did however talk to the Wyrd guys about the concerns and possibly re-posting a better photo after the con. Several other people at the con did snap photos of her thru the display glass so perhaps they could post something until then.

Apologies all I was unable to sneak away from Puppetwars demos long enough to snap a better Picture of Avatar Candy (better angle, closer up and with out the glass in the way) even though she was right behind me the entire time. I did however talk to the Wyrd guys about the concerns and possibly re-posting a better photo after the con. Several other people at the con did snap photos of her thru the display glass so perhaps they could post something until then.

Not the best, but better than Wyrd's

http://twitpic.com/61fsrq

People still seem to be referring back to the grainy original picture in critiquing the sculpt despite the original sculptor posting up pics of the green from a couple of different angles where the detail can be seen far more clearly.

While the posing may not be entirely to my tastes the quality of the sculpt is obviously far better than the poor original pic suggested.

What I think the figure misses out on is that she's not packing any heat, most unusual to see her without the addition of a whacking great big pair of scissors to stab someone with!

I think it's good that Wyrd are producing alternative models, it's giving people the chance of having models they like for each crew. That way there's less chance of avoiding a crew that might play in a way that you like just because you don't like the model. They're never going to produce minis that everyone likes so they're doing the next best thing by giving options.

I've got the Pandora starter and didn't use it because I couldn't stand Pandora's sculpt, yet the alt. model looks much better to me so I'll now use her in games.

I'm not fond of the original Zoraida either but like the alt. as well.

I'm much the same actually. I had just purchased a proxy for Zoraida as she was the last Neverborn master I had outstanding. Not sure she will be needed now as I ordered the alt during Gencon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all just wanted to let you know that i just got my pandora avatar in the mail and candys arms are seperate from the rest of her body. while the head is looking forward i think it might just be a matter of bad choice for the positioning of the arms in wyrds model. i for one am releaved that the arms are seperate i was considering how to cut them so i could move her left arm backwards a bit now its just a positioning matter

hey all just wanted to let you know that i just got my pandora avatar in the mail and candys arms are seperate from the rest of her body. While the head is looking forward i think it might just be a matter of bad choice for the positioning of the arms in wyrds model. I for one am releaved that the arms are seperate i was considering how to cut them so i could move her left arm backwards a bit now its just a positioning matter

pics please! :D

look at the concept art in the book to see how they are supposed to be attached, I think the painter may have placed them incorrectly which is contributing to the odd posing. The left arm should be placed much, much farther back.

I will break out the camera here in a bit and snap a quick shot of Avatar Pandora and Lady Justice to show people.

Also a few words of advice I got from the Wyrd guys at GenCon... Avatar Sonnia is going to have a bit of what looks like flashing non her coat and there is going to be a divet in the body of the Salamander, these are intentional do not remove or fill them (it is one of the points that support the final assembled model). Also Avatar Zoraida was placed incorrectly in the released photos, according to the concept art she should be placed "levitating" on the tree not way in front of it.

Also a few words of advice I got from the Wyrd guys at GenCon... Avatar Sonnia is going to have a bit of what looks like flashing non her coat and there is going to be a divet in the body of the Salamander, these are intentional do not remove or fill them (it is one of the points that support the final assembled model).

Could of used that pro-tip last week :(

Luckily I just filled in the hole on the Salamanders neck so it was easily fixed.

As promised:

Concept art for Avatar Candy from the book

Candy.jpg

Mini Photo

Candy1.jpg

Pandora.jpg

And just for kicks here is one of Lady Justice (definately the Avatar of Balance)

LadyJ.jpg

Notice the wonderful cups and groove that the Wyrd crew included so that the birds will be easier for us players to assemble.