The MASSIVE Disappointment that is...

CalmPlains

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember where i saw it but i read something that said that the dead lady j box all counts as other models, I think it's in the maelstrom preview bit, death marshal A counts as drowned dead death marshal B counts as samurai punk zombie etc, it had lady j counts as dead doxy? At the time I assumed this would be a new resser master but with the spoilers it seems like she'l be a belle and not a master at all!? I think people are gonna be pissed if that's the case? That box sure looks like a crew box, can anyone confirm?

Weird thread to post this in. :)

Both resser and guild cards will be included.

For ressers, it's just minions, it's been stated like..everywhere.

Don't see why people would get pissed for getting BOTH a full guild started AND 5 resser minions, 3 of whom have not even been released yet.

This is true the Dead Lady Justice models can all be run as either their appropriate Guild Models OR the following; Lady Justice = Dead Doxy, The Judge = Punk Zombie, Death Marshal 1 = Crooked Man, Death Marshal 2 = The Drowned, Death Marshal 3 = Guild Autopsy. * This is not speculation either, I am literally looking at the models and crads right now.

My friend at Gen con says that the picture is rubbish and he will try to take a better one like omenbeinger said.

Wasn't able to snap one today, but will definately get and post one tomorrow. I think you all may change your mind.

Hey Wyrd! Give us the mini that looks like the green.... We'll buy it.

The real pose does look like the Green.

Is there even one person who likes the new model more? Be it sculpt or painting-wise? The old Perdita simply oozes character, grace and power. The new one looks like a spoilt fatso, who was just given her new toy guns. I understand, Eric has more important things on his head than paintinf Wyrd minis, but I really miss the times of Steamborg or the Ortegas.

New Perdita is anatomically correct (or at least more correct) and dressed somewhat fitting what she actually does. She's also a couple of years older - mature gunslinger rather than in her late teens/early 20s.

The purpose of "alternate" models is to provide alternative. There are players who don't like to play with half-naked models. There are people who want realistic looking crews, at least in terms of the gear and apparel. Alt is not for everyone and it's fine. Perdita is not the only model which leans towards being less controversial in her alt version. I don't mind original Zoraida for example and I find her more characterful than the alt with the cauldron. I'd probably pick up the new Perdita over old one for the sheer awesomeness of her outfit and pose (even though I have nothing against models showing some flesh).

I agree that there are some models which do not live up to the old standards, but this is not one of them. Even Candy doesn't seem half as bad as the hysterical crowd paints her. I also suspect that the very old minis have been painted by the best painters (EricJ himself) with great investment of time and effort. It's hard to maintain the standard when you have dozens of minis to paint each mont and have to hire different painters to do them quickly.

Edited by Q'iq'el

New Perdita is anatomically correct (or at least more correct) and dressed somewhat fitting what she actually do. She's also a couple of years older - mature gunslinger rather than in her late teens/early 20s.

exactly why i prefer the new perdita... you read my mind and everyone elses

Wasn't able to snap one today, but will definately get and post one tomorrow. I think you all may change your mind.

The real pose does look like the Green.

If the real model looks like the green I'll buy it about 5 minutes after you post the pic.

I'm not going to buy the Hero-clik looking piece of junk though.

If the real model looks like the green I'll buy it about 5 minutes after you post the pic.

I'm not going to buy the Hero-clik looking piece of junk though.

Well get buyin :) cause the metal which they sell is an exact copy of the green. Those are the proof shots I send to them to get approval after I sculpt them.

The ones in the other photos are painted, the actual metal will look like the greens.

Hysterical crowd?

Are you even looking at the same picture we are?

Sure.

I see a mini which isn't Wyrd's top 10, but isn't all that horrible either.

Then I see pages upon pages of comments of which quite a large part is either plain rude or outright vulgar and all this over pixelated and unfocused image cut out from the background of a picture of another model. And we're dealing here with a toy nobody really has to use on the top of that.

This is precisely what we call hysterical reaction.

Sure.

I see a mini which isn't Wyrd's top 10, but isn't all that horrible either.

Then I see pages upon pages of comments of which quite a large part is either plain rude or outright vulgar and all this over pixelated and unfocused image cut out from the background of a picture of another model. And we're dealing here with a toy nobody really has to use on the top of that.

This is precisely what we call hysterical reaction.

Using the royal "We"?

I personally would put the picture of it from Wyrds' store as definitely in the horrible range. Right behind Avatar Marcus actually.

The reaction is, I believe, a bit worse than normal because:

a. People were really wanting this and wanting it to look good.

b. The preview pic left Candy out. That caused people to wonder why and I felt underwelmed when we saw the store pic.

That said, based on the word of the sculpter I am keeping my word and ordering Avatar Pandora here in just a minute.

The fact that I prefer "old" Perdita to her alt has nothing to do with sex appeal. Something about the original pose, she exudes cool confidence and classic cowboy kickass. The new model is quite nice, but old school Perdita exemplifies the woman, in my mind.

That said, I love the vast majority of the new releases. To those who believe Wyrd is somehow slipping, abandoning their dedication to unique, quality miniatures: I respectfully disagree. The new models are (for the most part) well above industry standard. In fact, I prefer the majority of the alts to their original sculpts.

Edited by Hatchethead

Using the royal "We"?

No. Reffering to somewhat common cultural standards.

I personally would put the picture of it from Wyrds' store as definitely in the horrible range. Right behind Avatar Marcus actually.

Yes. Picture is horrid. But everybody knows it is a horrid picture at the first glance. It actually is a lo-res picture of Pandora's avatar (and some other minis IIRC) with Candy on the side and not in focus.

To have an unreasonably strong emotional reaction based on obviously inadequate information about the mini's real looks is precisely what I'm criticizing. And if on the top of that someone throws a fit in a public place over that picture, now that is hysteria.

The reaction is, I believe, a bit worse than normal because:

a. People were really wanting this and wanting it to look good.

b. The preview pic left Candy out. That caused people to wonder why and I felt underwelmed when we saw the store pic.

I don't really see any justification to 5 yo alike behavior from adults. Granted, some of the posters may actually be 5 yo in which case they should watch their language. :D

Yes. Picture is horrid. But everybody knows it is a horrid picture at the first glance. It actually is a lo-res picture of Pandora's avatar (and some other minis IIRC) with Candy on the side and not in focus.

To have an unreasonably strong emotional reaction based on obviously inadequate information about the mini's real looks is precisely what I'm criticizing. And if on the top of that someone throws a fit in a public place over that picture, now that is hysteria.

:D

I based my opinion based on the official picture shown on the Wyrd Webstore. If the picture is horrid and lo-res, whose fault is that? They should have done a Kirai and just posted the artwork.

That said:

I took the word of the Sculpter.

Kept my word.

Order #9824

Those look nice. Shows alot more detail. And for the arm haters, you can bend them and just reposition you know!

as long as the arms can be bent ive seen some minis that the arms were designed wierdly and any attempts to bend them would deform them as they were to thin in some places. put i agree with you if the real mini has the arms forward some minor bending to put it into the pose of the green that the sculpter intended is all thats needed.

I have seen the completed sculpt and it looks fine, book 3 explains that the event transformed her into a sultry and sexy young woman, who has the temper of a young child and throws fits when she does not get her way, hence the stance of the sculpt. The first appearance of her in book three has her tempting a baker down an back street with some very suggestive language and mannerism. ( lollypop anyone)

I think the problem people are having with the sculpts is these are NOT Gael Goumon sculpts...they can't be. I haven't seen the folks at Wyrd giving sculptor credit on the new stuff yet so I may be wrong, but these don't seem like his style. His style defined what was graceful and elegant about the Wyrd female masters. I don't know why they didn't use him for the alts, but he was like the Jes Goodwin of Wyrd, he really helped define the feel of the range. The new Perdita doesn't have the same 'grace' for lack of a better word.

I think the new Candy looks just fine. The new Perdita, at least the pictures I've seen online, look bad to me. That said, a lot of the new models I think are stunning, so one or two bad apples out of a whole slew of new releases is cool with me. That's what's awesome about it being an alternate, there's more than one to choose from!

I have got to admit, the sculpt looks a lot better than the demo model.

That being said, the stance is just a very awkward pose that really no girl would have any reason to strike, short of squatting behind a tree to unload...

With a sailor-moon-esque paint job and some clever terrain basing & leg bending, this model could look pretty sharp, maybe.

Thanks for the additional photos.

Edited by CalmPlains

If you imagine her stamping her foot and flinging her arms about like a young child throwing a major tantrum, the pose looks much more realistic. Knowing that's what she's like in the book makes the sculpt fit much better in my eyes, and the green is much much nicer than the photo of the painted version. Camera fail can really ruin models...