Water effect

Huang Da Wei

Pva glue dries clear but still has alittle cloud in it. If you find actual water effect it is amazing. Just paint the bottom of the area the desired color and mix watered down color with the water effect and Viola!!!!

But this only works with actual water effects.

Check out Woodland Scenics line of water effects. E-Z Water is a pretty good product (dries fast and is easy to use with one caveat below). When it dries it has a nice slightly yellowish tint to it. The only downside to the product is that you will have to heat it up in order to pour it so it does shrink a bit if poured in large batches (careful not to burn yourself).

What I did with my bayou bases was swirl in a little lime green paint into wet grey green paint. I didn't mix them, just swirled enough to make them look liquid. Then the very last thing I did after matte varnishing the whole model was to brush on glossy varnish on the water areas. Makes it look like water but a little more subtle than water effects.

The swampy bases I did on some of my gremlins I used green stuff to get the shape, then went crazy with assorted green and brown paints and inks, then gave them a healthy coat of gloss varnish. I have some water effect gel, but haven't used it to do any water effects yet. Its thick and holds its shape, and is supposed to dry clear. I think it may be Vallejo, but I don't recall and I don't have it handy.

I'm going to chime in for the envirotex as well. I've used Woodland Scenics, and a variety of cheapo alternatives and have never been as satisfied with the end result. It's pretty widely available but if you can't find it hobby lobby generally has sales going on in their online store and you can get it at a pretty reasonable price there.