Is This Viable

sgierlinger

Well I have had my Nightmare Edition of LCB since last Gencon and my g/f gave me the go ahead to buy some of the LE models this year. I have never played a game of malifaux yet, but was thinking of running Dreamer, 3xNE Teddies as teddies, 2x normal teddies as alps and a puppet wars teddy as a daydream for a total 35ss force. Do you think this would work as an army??

sounds very cool.

it would be up to your TO if he allows it. it probably wouldn't fly in a wyrd run event, as teddies do not really look like alps. if it were me I'd allow it because it's just cool. I have a hunch Sketch would too...

as far as the list goes, yeah, i bet it would hit pretty hard and be a lot more fun to play than your standard "alp bomb"

I actually have a similar plan - building a dreamer crew with my NE LCB and 2 NE teddies, supported by the smaller minions like daydreams, alps and stitched. I do like your idea of using the puppet models though. I might just steal that. :smugpuppet1

Regular teddy is too large to fit on anything but a 50mm base, so i don't think you'll have much luck proving him as a 30mm based model. The standard Stitched Together models should fit right in though, and are a great choice for dreamer too. As for the assorted puppet models, id use them as either alps or daydreams.

In terms of viability, from what Ive heard Teddy is generally dropped in favor of minions like lilith and Lelu. I can't imagine a pair of Teddies would be too awful, but you'll want to supplement them with cheap minions.

...So...you're going to teddy bear picnic theme your Dreamer list?

...I am okay with this, and now demanding you do it.

Edit:

Actually, what you need to do, is use the puppet teddies for your alps, and balloons for your daydreams. Base everything with grass, picnic blankets, and picnic baskets.

That would be awesome.

Edited by edonil

ohhhh I like that checkered print blankets and wicker baskets, maybe some ants and soda cans and stuff.

If you go out in the woods today

You're sure of a big surprise.

If you go out in the woods today

You'd better go in disguise.

For every bear that ever there was

Will gather there for certain, because

Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.

Picnic time for teddy bears,

The little teddy bears are having a lovely time today.

Watch them, catch them unawares,

And see them picnic on their holiday.

See them gaily dance about.

They love to play and shout.

And never have any cares.

At six o'clock their mommies and daddies

Will take them home to bed

Because they're tired little teddy bears.

If you go out in the woods today,

You'd better not go alone.

It's lovely out in the woods today,

But safer to stay at home.

For every bear that ever there was

Will gather there for certain, because

Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

CHORUS

Every teddy bear, that's been good

Is sure of a treat today

There's lots of wonderful things to eat

And wonderful games to play

Beneath the trees, where nobody sees

They'll hide and seek as long as they please

Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

Make a display board that plays that on a loop, Man thats creepy even without the spooky blood soaked models.

Edited by sgierlinger

Aside from the basing issues everyone has adressed, I would personally say that this would not work well as an army. Not because of the 3 teddies, but because of only 1 Daydream. Dreamer/LCB loves his Daydreams, as they allow him and his minions to pop in and out of reality ( in game terms they switch between burried and unburried). They also fill the crucial role of giving LCB a much more stable way of changing back into the Dreamer after he's done eating face.

If you're going to do a 35ss game with 3 Teddies, I'd recommend the following:

Dreamer/LCB

3 Teddies - 27ss

3 Daydreams - 6ss

That leaves you 2ss after hiring, 5ss from hiring Nightmares, meaning you can take 2 schemes and still bring 7ss to the game.

The idea will be to drop Teddies+LCB off to wreck stuff as needed, then suck them back up and fly away when you're done. While it may not be as versatile as lists with Lelu/Lillitu and the likes, it's always fun to field a little kid and huge evil teddy bears :D

I was actually thinking something like;

Dreamer/LCB

2x Teddies 18

2x Daydreams 4

2x Stitched Together 10

(32SS)

That gives you a full 8SS cache and some flexibility in the form of the Stitched. Two Daydreams is probably enough, but if you need more activations then it might be worth swapping at least one stitched for alps.

Aside from the basing issues everyone has adressed, I would personally say that this would not work well as an army. Not because of the 3 teddies, but because of only 1 Daydream. Dreamer/LCB loves his Daydreams, as they allow him and his minions to pop in and out of reality ( in game terms they switch between burried and unburried). They also fill the crucial role of giving LCB a much more stable way of changing back into the Dreamer after he's done eating face.

If you're going to do a 35ss game with 3 Teddies, I'd recommend the following:

Dreamer/LCB

3 Teddies - 27ss

3 Daydreams - 6ss

That leaves you 2ss after hiring, 5ss from hiring Nightmares, meaning you can take 2 schemes and still bring 7ss to the game.

The idea will be to drop Teddies+LCB off to wreck stuff as needed, then suck them back up and fly away when you're done. While it may not be as versatile as lists with Lelu/Lillitu and the likes, it's always fun to field a little kid and huge evil teddy bears :D

Yup the classic Dreamer Teddy list! It has always given me fantastic results!

Well I have had my Nightmare Edition of LCB since last Gencon and my g/f gave me the go ahead to buy some of the LE models this year. I have never played a game of malifaux yet, but was thinking of running Dreamer, 3xNE Teddies as teddies, 2x normal teddies as alps and a puppet wars teddy as a daydream for a total 35ss force. Do you think this would work as an army??

Since your thinking of running the Dreamer I highly recommend you read my Tactica and the wiki page on him (both links in my signature) after you have read the Rules Manual. They will give you a great overview of how he plays and many of his tricks and treats.

Like Allidor said, you really want 2 - 3 Daydreams in almost every Dreamer list. Its easist to explain once yo usee him on the table, but trust us on this one.

As for the Alps, well they dont exactly fit in this list that well... but you could put 2 in by dropping both your schemes as Allidor said. But that leaves you with only your Strategy for VP, meaning your max Vp in the game is 4... so risky... but if you find it fun... do it!

PW Teddies are very nice, I dont think you will be dissapointed in them but I gotta wonder... how are you going to get regular teddy down to a 30mm base size to be the Alps? O.o