Fulgrima

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question about the Drain Souls trick:

Is that really possible? I mean, its supposed to be friendly models you drain. So, taking the opponent's Master... is that legal to drain souls with them like that?

No - it isn't possible. While effected by Alpha, an enemy master would be under the control of the Marcus Player and therefore not friendly to models in its own crew - as you note, you can only drain souls from friendly models.

No - it isn't possible. While effected by Alpha, an enemy master would be under the control of the Marcus Player and therefore not friendly to models in its own crew - as you note, you can only drain souls from friendly models.

Sorry, but it is possible. A controlled model becomes Neutral, but a model is always friendly to itself and now with the FAQ clarifying that you can sac yourself, you Alpha the enemy master and have them use Drain Souls on themselves.

You are in control, but Marcus is not truly controlling them. It's not like Obey, it is an entire activation and they are allowed to do anything that they could normally do....with the specific exception of summoning and the like.

Edited by dgraz

So, as someone who has been wanting to, but nervous to start, a full on Marcus crew, I'm ready to take the plunge. Been doing a lot of dabbling in reading about crews and techniques, so now... Questions!

-Avatar. I like some of his tricks, but is it worth it? Heard its a little too Soulstone and card reliant by some.

-is the Arcane effigy a good fit for him? The extra 1 for casting sounds great for alpha tricks while still having some tricks in combat.

-the new Oni Beast in Book 4 seems insane, and can easily replace the Cerberus, Blessed, and most 8 point beast models. Why would I want anything else?

-Night terrors seem like the best objective grabbers, since they have flight, spirit, and their blind can shut down anybody's day. I believe that's the general concensus?

My 25 ss crew idea:

3 night terrors

Oni (blessed of december until it comes out)

Gunsmith

Jackalope

Or, remove gunsmith and jackalope to take effigy with the avatar. Do these sound plausible?

That's a solid 25 spoints

I'd never take the effigy - I love my bunny of doom far too much - I don't see him as a spell slinger and the bunny can cause so much trouble for 1 SS

Night Terrors are certainly great, these and Slurids are your go to guys - Slurids cost more, but can do more....I'm trying to use them less but....

The Oni seems fantastic on paper and I'm looking forward to trying it - I think it may fill SOME plans - the other 2 MAY be better in others....

Avatar I may never use, I certainly don't plan on buying it....ever....I hate the mod it'd be a conversion job from hell to make one...

Another real useful minon is the waldergiest if you're planning to expand

Choosing the effigy also locks out other special force members, such as Kaeris or gunsmiths, which is even more restrictive.

In Marcus's case, the decision of Special Forces is even harder, as he has access to Lawyers and Rogue Necromancies as well... I think he may actually be the only master with the option of taking 5 different special forces (Elite Division, Horrors, M&SU Assets, Dolls and Freikorps) with only Kin out side his reach...

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Sorry, but it is possible. A controlled model becomes Neutral, but a model is always friendly to itself and now with the FAQ clarifying that you can sac yourself, you Alpha the enemy master and have them use Drain Souls on themselves.

You are in control, but Marcus is not truly controlling them. It's not like Obey, it is an entire activation and they are allowed to do anything that they could normally do....with the specific exception of summoning and the like.

Sorry, I though we were talking about Draining Minions from the Master's crew (which is not possible), but it does appear that they could currently Sacrifice the Master itself... I highly, highly doubt that will stand however, and I expect that will be subject to errata ASAP - there really is no reason that Drain Souls should work on the model using it - it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

In Marcus's case, the decision of Special Forces is even harder, as he has access to Lawyers and Rogue Necromancies as well... I think he may actually be the only master with the option of taking 5 different special forces (Elite Division, Horrors, M&SU Assets, Dolls and Freikorps) with only Kin out side his reach...

While I agree it's funny that Marcus seems to be a Special Forces shopaholic, I have to say: having tried out all the different Special Forces options available to Marcus, it's not a huge contest as to which are the most beneficial to go with.

I think the M&SU Assets bring the most to the table, with access to the always fun and useful Gunsmiths being well worth it. The Arcane Effigy is neat, but I don't think it has huge synergy with Marcus, and as much as I want to love the Rogue Necromancy with him, I've had little success with it on the table.

I was a fan of the Friekorps Trapper, but for the most part McTavish does the exact same thing, while also not eating my Special Forces slot. :)

It is interesting to build lists with Marcus though, because you need to be more mindful of the Special Forces restriction than most. Most Masters just have to worry about clashing their in-faction Special Forces models with either Dolls (effigy) or Friekorps (which I outside of Von Schill I don't see being overly awesome.)

Whoa, that's actually not a bad idea, to take Hamelin the Ratcatcher, and then Ophelia for some massive ranged support. That might be fun :)

could get 3 gunsmiths for less than that tho!

you know what actually, thats arguably not a bad tradeoff. you could get 2 "activations" worth of shooting out of ophelia, id rather use hamelin to boost up kaeris tho, as the ability to use more attacks (and therefore get more burning tokens out)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dusted off the ole beastmaster today, going with a traditional beastly crew:

Marcus

Waldgeist

Lawyer

Shikome

x3 Night Terrors

Raptor

...I think that was it, don't quite recall.

And realized just how powerful Shikome's Hunting Partner is when given to the raptor. I embeastened Hoffman with ease because of 3 attacks/turn. He choose not to discard the cards to get rid of it, so I was able to alpha the Hoff... twice in a row!

What did I do with those activation? First of all, I (0)'ed to give Hoff one of the PK's disadvantage abilities (Faulty circuits, something like that). Then I commanded the Hoff to machine puppet his Peacekeeper to attack him. And of course I cheated down Df and up Cb as necessary. It was a sort of a "stop hitting yourself" moment. Sooo much fun! He was downed on the second alpha :D

What have been other players' best alpha moments?

• 1 month later...