Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Well, I got book 3 the other day, and after ambling through the pages have realised that I really want to sculpt Jaakuna Ubume. So while I'm trying to work out what to do with my shikome (who was proxied in a game the other day and burned off the Viktorias entire soulstone pool in two activations) I'm also going to sculpt her. And modified bases for my night terrors.

Should have some photos tomorrow of the night terror bases, and I'll post up progress shots of Jaakuna as I go.

Don't worry, she's only had two sessions so far so it'll definitely be work in progress. Although she'll be peach not green (Fimo all the way!). So far, I've poked a brass wire into a pencil eraser, added a bit of glue from a hot glue gun to give the putty a base to stick to, and then worked the skirt and the upper body to give me the exposed chest and shoulder. I'll try to give a vaguely better explanation when I post up pictures.

OK, picture time! First up, the night terror perched on a (mostly finished) oriental lion statue:

nightterror1.jpg

The statue will have a broken face with rubble from it in a heap by it, so i don't have to sculpt the whole thing (Lazy!) And here's a very early stage Jaakuna Ubume, her lower robes are basically done, the strange pinches in the fabric are where the child will be hugging her. The torso is going to be hidden by a layer of fabric except the right shoulder, so the rest is just roughed out to give proportion and make sure the fabric covered the right shape. The exposed shoulder will get a bit of a clean up and neatening before the arm and outer shoulder muscles go on as I do the upper robe and the belt.

jaakunaskirt.jpg

To make her, all i did was stick a brass wire into the eraser, and use a hot glue gun to coat the wire with a layer of glue. I've found this to be much easier than trying to sculpt onto smooth wire as the putty sticks really well, and it dries in moments rather than taking either a half hour baking like Fimo, or overnight to cure like green stuff. Only issue is that the glue then melts in the baking stages, and dribbles all over the eraser - best to use the wire to lift the model off the eraser a little if possible so the glue flows in the gap and not all over the bottom bit of your mini! I sculpted the skirt first, baked that, then gave it a clean up where necessary with some gentle filing. Then I added the upper body, and baked that again. You can do a lot of bits between each baking, but when you start making hte bulk areas like torso and legs I find that the thicker sections of putty get too flexible if you don't bake regularly. Hopefully all that rambling made sense and I haven't just confused everyone! Tonight, I have to try to write a research proposal, but then I'll be working the torso up to fabric and adding in the shoulders if I have time. I'm hoping I can start to work on her face around the weekend but that really depends on how crazy work gets! So within a week, more progress shots...

Edited by Mako

Yeah, they're just ordinary erasers, cheap and useful! A lot of people use corks, but erasers hold the wire more predictably. Because the putty bakes at 110 degrees, they're safe in the heat. But unless you have hands made of asbestos (knew my job had its perks) don't pick them up straight away! I tend to put them on some baking paper on a baking tray just in case. And here's another picture:

jaakunatorso.jpg

I'm debating reducing the shoulder a bit, she looks a little muscular. Other than that I think she's going well so far.

Edited by Mako

Quick update, I've reduced the shoulder to a much better level and have been working on the face. I'm also going to go back and adjust a couple of things, like narrowing the exposed breast and waist, to match up to ikiryo and the onryo a little better.

I've also managed to paint my gaki black and work on the bases for a pair of coryphee, and think about making some objective counters. Little stuff that takes a few min really. Hopefully will have sorted the face out by the end of the week and get some new shots up!

• 2 weeks later...

And while reworking the waist and head, I've been delayed. Someone managed to injure my thumb so I can't actually hold a brush or sculpting tool, which I thought was sweet of them...

So there'll be a bit of a delay, which is annoying as I want to get the face sorted out!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, when I get a bit of time this weekend I'm going to finish this stage, bake it and then put the last layer onto the face. Then its on to the hair which should set off the head nicely. Then the child I suppose, who's going to be an interesting challenge.

May also finish gaki soon, which will get my kirai crew even closer to finished! Then all I have to do is learn how to use them in a way that doesn't involve them all getting slaughtered pathetically...

Here's another update on Jaakuna, I sculpted the face again and then sorted the hair out. There's some adjustments to be made, the eyes need bringing down and in a bit which will alter the shape of the cheeks and nose, but progress is being made! I've also totally remade the shoulder and reworked various little bits. Which has caused a dust buildup on the face that obscures some of the detail unfortunately. But then it's going to be altered so thats no big issue!

jaakunahair.jpg

Also, since they're nearly finished, the Gaki. Who just need dirtying up a bit then basing.

gakipainted.jpg

gakeface.jpg

Friendly little chap, isn't he...

Edited by Mako

Don't worry, I get that feeling regularly too. Takes a fair bit of courage to paint something you've seen someone else paint in a way you like. I usually try to get a totally different look to any I've already seen, that way there's no comparing them!

Cheers for the compliments guys, I've now finished the gaki up, the remaining bits of Kirai's crew are on the sculpting table so the next updates with paint may well be showgirls. I've got Jaakuna's face to a point I'm happy with, although I singed her nose using a flame to get rid of a piece of fluff so it looks a bit odd!

Will get some pictures soon, once I've got some work done on the child holding on to Jaakuna. Probably by next weeekend. May have done some work on Cassandra too if it turns out to be a quiet week!

Here's a little update, Jaakuna has now had the hugging child started, and a singed nose (it'll still cast ok, and since painting onto Fimo is a bit dodgy I'll cast her at the end rather than paint the original).

Jaakunachildbegun.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way this is going, I've adjusted the line of her chin very slightly from these photos as they showed a bit of a bulge, but it's a minor adjustment. Next up is the limbs, head and dress details for the child. Then Jaakuna's arm followed by the kid's hair. And after that, the joys of sculpting free hanging chain!

Edited by Mako

Mako, I was on the fence about picking up a second Rez crew when I stumbled across this thread. Looking at the colors of your Kirai pushed me over the edge.

A trip to the game store and I came home with a box-set, lost love, 1 seishin(all they had in stock), 1 gaki, and 1 shikome...

I will be staring at your models the moment I start painting. (And sobbing when done because they will not look 1/10th as nice as yours)

P.S. My wife hates you for my choosing Kirai over our mortgage.

Well, if I'm getting people in trouble with their wives, then I'm doing things right! I've been a bit busy lately but have managed to get various little bits done. Not much on Jaakuna so I'll update that later, but here's some work I've done on Cassandra:

cassandraskin.jpg

I'm also painting a miniature entirely in black and white, which I'll add in here if people want, though it's not a Wyrd mini. I'm probably going to cobble together a guide to doing black and white models as I do it, in case anyone wants to know how I went about it. It's turning out to be trickier than normal painting in some ways!

Edited by Mako

Your painting is gorgeous and the colour scheme you've been using looks perfect to me. You've completely sold me on the Kirai minis as I wasn't sure about them before. I look forward to seeing what you do with Cassandra!

I definitely want to see how you paint black and white. I end up painting a lot of black and it isn't getting much easier, so it'd be great to see what tips you have.