Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Yup, it was a bit of advice I got from someone who's a bit of a master with these big pieces. Putty is expensive and hard to work in really thick slabs, tin foil is cheap and can be pressed and wrapped to shape, and the crinkles hold the putty really well. So a wooden core for strength, tin foil to bulk it and help the putty stick, and then putty over the top. Otherwise there'd be close to $100 of putty in him already!

Out of curiosity, I decided to mess with the backdrop for my photos a little. While white is pretty necessary for step by step stuff so it isn't a distraction, I've been discussing the merits of greyscale backdrops with some good photographers I know. So I took a photo of a sculpt, a black primed model and a painted one, on white, pale grey, darkish grey and black paper. They were all set to meter to the same level, and then minimally adjusted to make the Fimo look roughly the same colour across them all. Not a perfect comparison by any means, but very revealing...

Greytests_zps1cd0d386.jpg

White washes out colours when you're far enough back to take photos of whole models (close up for SBS work is ok though). THe pale grey looks quite similar in background colour due to the metering, but the colours on the models are better, with the blacks not as overdone. Dark grey is my personal favourite, you can see detail on all of them, the colours on Lilia are really nicely exposed and accurate, nothing's very far off at all. Black is great for night scenes, and faking lighting effects using harsh lamps (what most of my miniature photography mates called cheating...).

Each has a use I'd say, white for close shots and step by step work (good to balance shots against each other), pale grey for paler subjects and Fimo sculpts, dark grey for darker stuff, and black for night scenes.v Black needs very careful use to avoid hiding the shading on the model and making it look very different to reality, and I'm not personally a fan of using it.

No problem, I hoped it would be interesting and useful! It's quite startling how different things look on different backgrounds.

And as a quick bonus, here's the girl again, with a head on. Not baked that bit yet though. I've learned to always wait a day before baking heads, in case I change my mind on it!

Steamgirl_zps932ec4dd.jpg

The neck is probably hidden a bit by the angle and the hair. But there is something off - the head itself is a little big (I just checked). Should be 3.5mm, and its closer to 4.

Oh well, that's why I never bake heads immediately. Will be taking a careful look at it another day, to assess it and see if it can be tweaked or if it needs pulling off and redoing. Heh

Awesome stuff. Mako, how 'strong' are the magnets on your bases? I am actually tinkering around with how I should best magnetize my girls on their bases as well. Though I am using base inserts, which I will cut accordingly so I can swap them from 40mm to 50mm. Similar to one guide here on the little Ramos spiders.

My issue is the magnet part of it. I bought this magnet sheet, but I find the magnets are kind of weak. I tested it out by using blue tack to assemble the models to one of the base inserts + base. When I lift the girls they often come apart from the other magnet.

This is an issue I want to forgo when playing. Grabbing the base is much more difficult than actually touching the model as such.

I got a set of 100 2mm wide, 1mm deep neodymium disc magnets from an online store. They weren't very expensive, probably about £10 including postage.

Each will hold something like 100g, they're quite powerful for their size. If I lower the coryphee towards the base, the base jumps up when I get close!

You win a bonus point for figuring that out Osoi! When I measured it the features were perfectly proportioned to each other, but a little too large for the head. The eyes are at the two thirds point, which they shouldn't be.

I'm probably going to redo it, but not for a day or two.

I actually have 1mm/2mm mini magnets, which are powerful. There are different strengths in the magnets though. Some of them have a stronger magnetic strength to them than others. I think I bought 52N magnets. They are strong, but quite small too. I am not sure they could hold the metal models in addition to the base.

Mind checking to see which magnet strength you have? :)

I'm pretty much focussed on my GenCon crew, so it's kind of a mix of showgirl, fire, and Hoffman. Still waiting for several pieces to turn up, Canadian distributors appear to be immensely unreliable.

But as an aside, here's a fixed up steampunk girl. Just got to get the thing cast now...

Steampunkgirl3_zps2f5b316a.jpg

I'm pretty much focussed on my GenCon crew, so it's kind of a mix of showgirl, fire, and Hoffman. Still waiting for several pieces to turn up, Canadian distributors appear to be immensely unreliable.

Tell me about it. My Oiran are starting to repeat the ordeal my Lady Justice Box went through. Hoping it doesn't reach Misaki levels.