Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Well, now that I've finished two torakage and shang (the third torakage base leaked a bit so needs a top up tomorrow...), for the first time in an embarrassingly long time I have as much Malifaux stuff painted as I do sitting untouched in boxes!

Now if only that was more than a third of it...

Total: 116 models, 548 soulstones across 10 masters in 7 factions. 31% painted

I'll try to get some photos of the finished ones tomorrow. I have a bit of work to do tonight.

Unfortunately, I can't paint any of the Dark Debts lot until I get my hands on a specific paint that seems to be difficult to get hold of at the moment!

And please don't say you stripped it.

Stripped? No... but I have sawn him in half in readiness :D

For now it will be more ten thunders and some death marshals, since I know roughly what I want to do with them and have what I need to do it.

The secret to my powers is a dark and arcane ritual, performed every leap year under a blood moon ;)

The paint on the other hand is Vallejo fluorescent pink, which appears to contain rare ingredients such as unicorn tears and mermaid toenails, given how hard to get it seems to be these days!

Well, I finally remembered to get photos in decent daylight, so here's the two finished torakage and shang:

tora1done_zps102d047b.jpg

tora2done_zps048dfc1b.jpg

shangdone_zpsfdb2d839.jpg

Still having a few resin issues with the last base, it didn't cure quite right and after accidentally getting a fingerprint on it as I picked it up today I've had to scrape it back and will need to refinish the water with a third layer. I have done Ototo's base though:

torabits_zps3d7eed62.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers! He turned out better than I'd expected - after the initial stages, I was starting to get a bit worried!

I ended up adding a little more red and orange into the start of the tail just before I based him. Then found that satin varnish at the front, blending to matte varnish on the purple and black, worked out nicely too. He took way too long because of the blasted white, yellow and red though!

Other than picking a collection of annoyingly slow colours, I actually think I'm starting to pick up speed with my painting. Who knows, maybe soon I'll actually get my two planned crews done!

Which reminds me, next time I take photos I should take a group one of misaki's crew. Also probably should take a new one of Kirai, since I've improved my photography since those days lol.

Is the Tetsubo attatched to the base? if it is how on earth are you going to get a brush in there without messing up the base? 0_o

Was rummaging through my paints to see if i had the flourescent pink but only magenta... Granted it wouldnt really have been feasible to ship it across the pond anyway but I really want to see it finished so i just might have

Any tips on how to use the valejo flourescent ones? mix em in with others or use on their own?

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

The tetsubo has a hole drilled in it and there's a wire poking out of a slot in the base - I can just pop it off for painting, then poke it back down. It's almost a good enough fit to not need glue.

It is the model colour magenta I meant, I forgot what they called it (because I haven't seen it in so long lol). I found that they're pretty dull unless used over a pure white base, and they need a fair bit of diluting and a bunch of coats to work. Other than that, yeah just use them like normal paints. I've got a bunch of other projects on the go at the moment so the dark debts box won't get any attention for a few months for certain. By then the blasted paint might have arrived!

It's kind of strange, getting the muted effect while not ending up with a dull model has been a bit tricky. I've had to tweak so many bits!

I'm probably going to end up using a green glaze in the midtones of the metalwork too, just to make the metals separate from the grey clothes some more. 

This weekend though, it'll be death marshals I reckon.

Word to the wise about painting Ototo (Mako's clearly doing it, but I ballsed this up...) Do NOT glue Ototo's arms on before painting. It's a freaking nightmare model to paint afterwards!

Mako; it's neat seeing how we each tackled the Torakage: you freehanding depth, I freehanding designs; You may make me need to go back and clean up my painting of the metal though... Perhaps once I finish Pandora... and Viks... and Infinity force... etc. >.<

Could you put all your pictures in a gallery? That would be awesome so people wouldn't have to flip through every forum page. I know it would probably take a couple hours, though, but really like looking at your work.

Word to the wise about painting Ototo (Mako's clearly doing it, but I ballsed this up...) Do NOT glue Ototo's arms on before painting. It's a freaking nightmare model to paint afterwards!

Mako; it's neat seeing how we each tackled the Torakage: you freehanding depth, I freehanding designs; You may make me need to go back and clean up my painting of the metal though... Perhaps once I finish Pandora... and Viks... and Infinity force... etc. >.<

Heh yeah, I test fitted him, look at the arms, and decided to glue them as a pair and slot them on at the end. I also learned that if you sit him on the rocky edge looking over the water, he looks so perfectly like he's fishing...

I went off and looked at yours just now too, it's always interesting to see how people approach the same model in such different ways. They look sweet, by the way.

Fantastic control with the dark cloth making it look black while not actually painting it that colour.

Thanks! I only ever use pure black as the very last shade on stuff, same with white for highlights - even jet black stuff in real life isn't actually black except in the deepest shadows, after all.

Anyway you could put all your pictures in a gallery? That would awesome so people wouldn't have to flip through every forum page. I know would probably take a couple hours, though, but really like looking at your work.

Possibly - I've been toying with the idea for a while, but it would take a bit of time to sort out. At the moment, there's just the group shots (which really need an update) in the first post, and I plan to retake some of those. I need to have a look and figure out how the gallery system works too, lol. I link from photobucket, so haven't used the upload function on here since the forum change!

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll try to make sure there's a new update on Sunday or Monday, once I get time to sit and work through some of my painted models again and update any photos that aren't great...

Hah, I saw the fisher-Ototo as well! Plus, having an unending gutter-mind, another few things besides...

He's really the only model in that grouping I was iffy on. I don't like how far off his own base he stands, which is why I converted mine to have him more over the base. It also helps for storing and transit!

The Ten Thunders are well and truly what made me want to play Malifaux. I could do probably dozens of iterations on the Torakage, Ototo, Misaki and the Oiran. I've already thought it'd be fun, if I somehow got another pair, to do an 'alpha male standing' or more aggressive pose for him.

I'm curious to see how you tackle Yamaziko. I had a hard time resisting the urge to go all kinds of crazy on her kimono!

There's such a thing as resisting the temptation to go nuts?

The ten thunders models are awesome. And wave 2 is probably only going to get more epic, if that concept art for shenlong from the chronicles is right. And if the other monks are as cool as the low river ones...

How did I miss that pic? I can't find it in (what I assume is Chronicles 11?)

I am eager for Kirai's plastic: I want that new Ikiryo, and the new spirits, and I'll have the option to convert the new Kirai (I'm not as much a fan of her pose as compared to the old one.)

About this resisting temptation to go nuts: I don't think I even know what that looks like anymore! I have enough models I can currently play games with that most of my stuff now is paint for the fun of it, so I go overboard on detail. (I will let my soon-to-be-uploaded pics of Candy, and my hopefully highly successful paintjob of Infinity Nomads speak to that!)

I think it's chronicles 10 (maybe even 9), near the beginning there's an article about design and what I think was said to be a shenlong concept sketch in there sneakily.

Huh... There's a point on the other side of 'paint what I need to play' where you get back the freedom to paint whatever you like again? I never played enough to reach that point!