Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Oh yeah, I'm getting everything. lol.  I am building a model train board that is 8' x 4'. It is a city representation of the board game Arkham Horror. Which is set in 1920's and is a Horror game. The Malifaux mini's fit right into that universe and actually are the exact same scale as the mini's that come with Arkham Horror.

The game is highly customizable, so some of the Malifaux Characters will be used as Investigators, some will be used as Monsters and all of them will be used to play Malifaux :) I'll share some WIP as it comes further along.

Honestly, that seems rather presumptuous to me, Clawz. It's not on Mako to stop derailing his thread, nor is he at the demand of his fans for pics. That kind of attitude with things would make me just stop posting, and I know that he's already a bit frustrated over various things, so he's already taking a hiatus. Mind leaving off one of the most helpful painters on the forum? Cause these kinds of things are starting to get old, and I'd hate to see him stop answering questions if he starts feeling harassed.

and I'd hate to see him stop answering questions if he starts feeling harassed.

Perish the thought. I know for a fact that it can seriously cut into your time to answer a bunch of questions.....and I for one seriously appreciate the effort he goes to to be so helpful.....I would hate to see anything sour that.

• Like 1

Ooh, is it time for a mission statement?

There's no painter on earth that knows half of what there is to know out there - no one has had the time to find every trick and practice them (and theory, as several friends who are skilled artists and have started painting miniatures have said, really doesn't help much). So there's no such thing as a painter that doesn't have masses of stuff to learn and practice. Especially when you consider that every technique doesn't work for everyone, so no one can teach everyone all they know.

To me, that means that if I'm in a room with a world class painter and a beginner, we're equal - we're all learners who have things to teach each other, it's just a matter of time and practice that separates us. Natural gift makes the time and practice shorter, but that's it.

I'm reminded of this regularly, whenever I talk to other painters - Spectre and I had a great conversation yesterday, he's given me some great ideas and pointed out where I'm doing stuff without thinking and should look at it more. He's also managed to paint a cold red, which is a trick I've never got sorted!

That's why I try to be as much of a 'community painter' as I can - Firstly, discussing what I do helps me learn more about it. Secondly, every painter I've ever spoken to has taught me something. Thirdly, I like seeing people paint and improve, especially when they get to the point they start experimenting and finding new stuff on their own (because who knows what they'll come up with that I've never tried before, that's where the best modern techniques have come from).

I don't get as much time for painting as I'd like, particularly at the moment, but if people talk to me with that same 'all painters are equal' attitude, I'll always make time for them (be it questions, comments, suggestions or whatever). Discussing painting like that is a lot of the reason I enjoy maintaining my wip threads in various places. They're not places to dispense wisdom from a throne of paint pots, but for me to see what people think about my results, methods and choices. Even my Chronicles articles are like that - every detail of what I did, for people to use, discard or adapt as they see fit, not as a statement of what should be done (Sadly, I know not every painter sees things the same way, I've clashed with several of those in my time. Anyone who assumes superiority is best ignored, in my experience).

TL/DR: All painters are equal regardless of their results - anyone who agrees will always get my time and attention, even if I've not got time to paint. It's all about the attitude. As Granny Weatherwax said: "I suppose I'm level one... Just starting. Every day, just starting".

And as an aside, Edonil is exactly right - I'm trying to sort some rather complicated real life stuff out, so I will be on a thread updating hiatus for a while. I'll still be around, so folks with questions should feel free to PM me as I will have time to respond, but there'll be no pictures of new stuff for a while.

• Like 6

I'm sure the community as a whole, will agree that we are all grateful for your tips and advice you have offered. I hope you are able to resolve your real life stuff in a positive way. Most of us have been there in one way or another, so we understand.

• Like 1

wow thanks man. I feel honored. I'm here just starting to figure shit out and you give me praise for what I'm doing.

Did you try that Red Leather, Altdorf Blue, Pale Grey/Blue Cool Red?  I'll be posting pics of it real soon.  I've been keeping track of my mix ratios so I can keep a running note tracking in my painting logs. I think this is something that we could all do to help each other out. By leaving notes on what you mixed and the pictured result, even if we don't try that specific combo out, it might give ideas for new things to try.

What was it that I pointed out that you were doing but didn't realize?

I just learned today that the traditional color wheel isn't correct and we should be using the CYM (cyan-yellow-magenta) Color Wheel. Is anyone using this and do you have a good resource for one?  I can drum up a link I think if required. I'll have to do some research to find it though.

• Like 1

I've not had chance to play with the red, but I'm keeping it on file to tinker with when I get back to having brush time!

You totally caught me on my use of brown, it was a default thing that I didn't think about but knowing what I'm doing with it means I can start to explore different ways to work with it rather than just reaching for it every time for no specific reason.

Plus, you gave me the urge to paint something with a single (non-grey) midtone and only use varying shades and highlights to make it look right. Which will be a fun little challenge, once I pick something to do it to!

Keeping track of mixes is something I do more and more these days, but I'm terrible for saving them in random places and not being able to find them when I need them... I've had to go and look up the chronicles several times to remember what colour I used on something! :D

Oh yeah, I remember now. I thought you used grey for your Death Marshals because they had an overall Cool feel anyway.  Brown seems like a Warm accessory color. That's what I'm calling them from now on. Grey / Brown and Cool / Warm Accessory colors for painting straps, bags, belts, etc to attentuate your Temperature themes..

I love (and echo) the mission statement, Mako.

That said; Cold red? This I need to see pics of!

I too have a love/hate relationship with red. I like using it in small elements, but still haven't quite nailed down how to make it do what I want with it. I've tried all the tricks and schemes, and still just something feels 'off'.

Here's hoping the stuff eating up painting time aren't the... traumatic sort, Mako: best of luck!

Thank you very much for the time and effort you deposit here and around the Web helping others. I hope that whatever is concerning you in real life gets sorted quickly. And I will be looking forward to see more of your stuff in a not so distant future.

As for the cold red that was one of the pearls that Rafael teached me. Since red sits in the division of the colour wheel is neither warm or cold. Depends whether how that pure red is mixed an orange red is warm a blue red is cold

lmao, I love Big Trouble in Little China!  Excellent tutorial in the new Chronicles. I've been contemplating just how to go about painting the goblin skin tones. You've given me some ideas where to start. Thanks

and now I challenge you to do Wong as David Lopan!

picture for the youngin's that don't get the reference.

• Like 1

Thanks spectre!

I had the same problem - never painted green skin before. Had to do some experimenting first, then go back and tweak the idea with the speckles to make it fit better.

Wong would need a serious hat transplant to be lo pan... Still, when his box set appears perhaps it will happen!

...huh. Just realised I never actually posted up the pictures of Burt for those that don't read my articles. Since I have a spare moment;

Who wouldn't read your articles????? ;)

LOVE the Big Trouble theme!

Y'know... I actually have an uncle named Jack Burton!!! No kidding! :D Not a truck driver...

• Like 1

Oh, I don't doubt there are folks that just aren't that interested in the painting side of things, or don't bother with the chronicles generally, or even just don't like the way I paint or explain things. Which is fair enough!

And it's an epic name... Who doesn't want to be Jack Burton?!

Cheers D - it seemed a lot more sensible to do it that way than painstakingly mix up a bunch of different metal mixes and do each individually (I know, me choosing the sensible route... who'd have thought it :P )

Hey Mako, I just picked up the Yan Lo boxed and realized that he would make a far better LoPan than Wong. (plus they aren't on the same team).  And, Yan Lo has a huge surface just asking to be Free Handed.  I looked at LoPans costume in the movie and it's like a flaming dragon with green scales going down and blue/gold strip around the hand openings.

I made a feeble attempt at sculpting his hat and it didn't turn out so great, lol.