Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Cheers folks!

I wish I could claim it was all carefully planned out, but all I knew at the start was that I wanted the canvas colour for the judge's coat and a smoky grey blue for most of my guild. I kind of fudged it from there! 

Ugh...that's even worse. That means you're just intuitively awesome.......I have to plan  for a weak just to reach cool.

Hmm, do I detect a note of purple in said Judge's coat?

DGraz: do not despair! Fudging is how you learn all the fun stuff! Bob Ross' "Happy little accidents" absolutely applies here!

With the more subtle colours, it's amazing the difference slightly altering the basecoat can make the final look. White especially. Base with a warm brown and you end up with a canvas-white. Base with blue and you get cold bleached white. The next time you are painting something in a typical colour (white, brown, gray... black even) if you infuse an atypical colour you get amazing effects!

Sigh... I really want to hate you, Mako...

Not only STELLAR paintjobs (as per usual), but I LOVE the bases, too!!!

What browns did you use for the Judge's coat??? I want to use that for the masks on my Witchling Stalkers I'm painting up now for a local tournament on 8 June.

The Judge's coat is in fact my normal canvas mix of VGC Khaki basecoat, charred brown/black/purple (VGC hexed lichen) mix, and VMC deck tan to highlight.

I tested it out for the dead judge ages back for last year's GenCon, and it's my favourite beige method now.

Hate away, as long as it drives you on :P

Hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate

:P

Excellent! I think I have all those colors, or can at least approximate them. Thanks for the tips! After I grab some take out for dinner, I'll be back at the coffee table and settling in for a good night with a brush (quite a few of them, actually). 

Is the Judge's sword all non-metallic...?

Hmm, do I detect a note of purple in said Judge's coat?

DGraz: do not despair! Fudging is how you learn all the fun stuff! Bob Ross' "Happy little accidents" absolutely applies here!

With the more subtle colours, it's amazing the difference slightly altering the basecoat can make the final look. White especially. Base with a warm brown and you end up with a canvas-white. Base with blue and you get cold bleached white. The next time you are painting something in a typical colour (white, brown, gray... black even) if you infuse an atypical colour you get amazing effects!

Thanks for the tip. I do that some already.....especially with browns, grays, and blacks.....I use warm and cool colors mixed in and such. I'm more just joshing Mako.....he is one of the few that makes me feel like a chump, but I do okay.

There's always someone out there making everyone else feel like a chump, lol. Jessica Rich and Ali McVey are two of the prime candidates for me! How Ali does their studio paintjobs in a couple of days while looking after their toddler still baffles me. 

Luckily, I've been around the painting block enough times I've managed to meet (and in many cases get to know) the painters I admire. Then I pick their brains like a starving zombie :D

I've started un-balding the marshals, so he might feel better by the end of the week if he's lucky.

There's always someone out there making everyone else feel like a chump, lol. Jessica Rich and Ali McVey are two of the prime candidates for me! How Ali does their studio paintjobs in a couple of days while looking after their toddler still baffles me. 

Luckily, I've been around the painting block enough times I've managed to meet (and in many cases get to know) the painters I admire. Then I pick their brains like a starving zombie :D

Have you met Jess? I always used to love seeing her at US Golden Demon competitions when I was photographing them. I miss her a lot, actually. Such a sweetheart. Of all the painters I have met, I use her opinions, tips, and comments about my work the most, though I am light-years from her level of craftsmanship. She really is amazing.

I met her at gencon last year, all too briefly. Probably sounded like a slightly crazy fanboy at the time, too!

She is a lovely person, and was quite happy to offer me some advice on things like colour schemes and mood. Also was wearing a fairly impressive TARDIS dress, lol

hahahaha! I can totally see that dress on her. :) Did she also have a shockingly interesting hair color? It was always fun to try and guess what color her hair will be when next I saw her. ;)

She is very lovely, yes, and I am sure she took the fan-boyism in good stride. She is very pretty, so I'm sure she gets it all the time, both from fans of her miniature work and just guys in general.

Her brushmistress.com website hasn't been updated in quite a while, so I hope everything's going okay for her. Since I got off of FB about 4 years ago, I haven't had much contact with her at all. We used to chat and talk mini painting rather often. It was mostly me stealing tips from her and drooling over her work... ;) hehe

Thanks spectral!

At the moment no, there isn't - I need to work on that when I get a bit of time. A lot of the older photos would need retaking if I were to upload them to a gallery, which makes it a fairly long task (and I haven't managed to get the time or energy for it yet). I will do at some point though hopefully, but it might be a little while...

Which reminds me, I need to update the first page with the misaki group shot.

Eh, I've kind of reached the point of just checking when I happen to be in the local store, and not really expecting to see it there any time soon...

One day I'll be back in England, where Vallejo paints aren't some exotic rarity!

I had a question about how you select your color pallets.  I read your Lady Justice Tutorial and saw how you fine tailored a 9 color set divided into three colors. Is this how you go about color selection most of the time?  Is the middle color always your Primary?  I'm a bit confused as to how to add a Secondary Color. Do you add it in the shade or highlight? I understood the part about using blue to shade against the orange (since they are complementary colors).  I tried reading your Color Theory tutorial but my brain turned to mush. Sorta like that foggy feeling you get when you try to do Algebra :P

Also, do you mix the paints out ahead of time as you try and decide what you're going to use or do you figure it out as you go?  I'm wanting to do a Green and Purple theme for Resurrectionists (because I'm gonna use the Green Translucent base) I have Nicodem painted just fine but now I'm having trouble figuring out how to paint Mortimer.  

I ordered a color wheel to help with sorting the colors out but would love some clarification on your process if you have the time. Thanks :)