Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

You have a fox thing made of fire. How is it not supposed to be eye catching? And ninjas(which is what it seems the torakage are supposed to be) aren't supposed to be. It makes sense to me. Firefox ( yes, I know his name is Shang) can distract while the ninja crew deals sneaky death!

Needless to say they're rubbish ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Nathan!

Now I want fish for dinner... damn. 

I have to figure out how to paint Ototo too, not sure I want to go for yellow pajamas (aside from it taking ages, it might be a bit bright) so still figuring that out. Tempted by bamboo or wooden armour, but not sure how that'll fit the current crew. Decisions, decisions...

Well, you could do what I do when I'm stuck for colours: Animate him as a figure! We know he's not exactly subtle, so brighter colours in all likelihood. He is vaguely Samurai, so you could look up old schemes and patterns for that (like I did), or who knows, maybe he leans more in Izamu's direction and would have dirty, patchy gear because he cares little about how he looks, finesse-wise, and more on looking/being terrifying!

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I think it's now pretty definite he'll get wooden or bamboo armour (depending on how much grain I feel like painting on the tiny strips...).

I am quite tempted by grey, pale-ish (around a 25-40%grey) clothing with yellow details, and purple facemask and lacings. 

• Like 1

Not to ninja in my own pics, but perhaps something like I did with my Archers' helms would work for his helmet, or the armour. There's a full post about it on my blog, but here's a sample pic:

...bah, spoiler tags are not working. I didn't want to throw this in full, so I'll just external link it:

Pretend this is a picture!

• Like 1

I suspect making it bamboo will be the most practical. There's a lot of fine detail on there already, and most of the time the armour would've been lacquered anyway. If you end up doing all the little strands of rope holding it together, plus any symbols, plus wood grain... Not to mention I'd assume they'd assemble it width-wise, so each armour plate wouldn't have a lot of grain rippling on it. (Lengthwise wood is harder to cut!)

mmmmm......Judge......mmmmm. I really love the varying browns......the reddish one at the top of his coat is really great and really focuses the attention.....the small amount of cool colors really look good with it and off-set all the warm browns just enough.

• Like 1

With these kind of minis choosing the right colors is essential and you've made some excellent choices. Despite a limited palette the colors work really well together. They look fantastic at this stage. With the flame effect they're going to be even better.

• Like 1

Cheers folks!

I wish I could claim it was all carefully planned out, but all I knew at the start was that I wanted the canvas colour for the judge's coat and a smoky grey blue for most of my guild. I kind of fudged it from there! The reddish leathery bits were so I could give each department a different chest and shoulder colour. The judge ended up with the shoulder thing and blue mask just so he matched up with the marshals more...

Today I'm going to try to get Justice and the scales ready for paint, but it's going to be a busy day I think. Lots of other stuff to do, including session planning for tonight's TtB!