Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Love the highlights, must have taken you ages to get them so smooth. At this point deciding to add "a few more touches" can be tricky as those can either help or mess the mini up. Tough call but if you asked me, it looks awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm still not sure if I want to push my luck and try for a smoky effect on the black tips, or maybe work a bit of red back into it to lengthen the flame transition. Probably going to leave it, at least until he's based. Time has a way of making these things clearer ;)

It's that time of the bimonth again, where I can go "here's something I painted, the details are in the Chronicles"...

small1_zps31428c1c.jpg

small2_zpsad3f9e2d.jpg

• Like 7

Yin is a tricky miniature to paint. It's easy to overdo with effects and make it look like too bloodied. You managed to combine very nice, subtle highlights with a touch of not too much in-your-face gore. The effect is very impressive

• Like 1

Thanks all!

Viruk is dead on, gore is one of those things that's so easy to overdo, and the moment you go too far it can become a detriment rather than a benefit. It's something I don't do too often (because I'm a wimp and hate getting it wrong after all the painting ;) ), but in this case she really benefited from it. Just had to very gradually build it up and hope I remembered to stop in time!

Fantastic paint jobs Mako.

Reg selling minis painted or not, well with your abilities, painted would command a high price for sure and have you thought of promoting stuff you'd want to sell via a youtube channel with links to ebay ? plenty do that now.

Anyway, keep up the obscene work, it does inspire.

Bit of an update, here's some basically finished (though not based) torakage...

torakagex3_zpsc59c826d.jpg

I have also been messing with my one infinity model, which is starting to show the pattern and colours.

marutsswirlstart_zps03bc87b3.jpg

I've decided to focus more on getting two crews painted up, so the next things to deal with will be the rest of misaki's bunch, and probably justice too as I've had a clever/stupid idea for them...

• Like 1

Dark colors on the Torakage make the masks really pop, I think it will be even better if you add a few more brighter elements.

I'd agree with this. The Torakage look gorgeous already but I reckon some brighter highlights on the weapons would make them even more so!

The metals actually go up to pure silver, so brighter isn't really practical! They do kind of need a little something though, don't they.

What I'm currently toying with as an idea to make them more interesting is intensifying the purple a bit, maybe a little extra highlight on it too (if the purple glazes mute it too much). Just enough to make them less dull and monochrome, but not to make them too bright. Will also brighten the green on the knife, and add it to the nunchuck handles I think.

These, like all your work, are amazing. As a new painter (I've managed to get primer on six models ... does that count?) your thread is both inspiring and intimidating. What are your basing plans for the Torakage? If you are planning a night scene some colors naturally fade to gray in the dim light, like reds and purples, so they might be fine as they are.

Thanks, it's always fun to see people inspired by my efforts! Don't be intimidated though, I spend a ton of time on things and I've had years (about 11 since I got into painting seriously, and another good few years of splodging paint about before that) to learn a bunch of tricks and such. When I started, I was pretty bad. Getting paint on the right area was a miracle back then!

Nothing too fancy for their bases I reckon, some rocks and water most likely. They'll be for gaming so I don't want them too subtle, as they'l be seen from a fair way away. If I get time tonight I'l do a little fiddling and see if I can get them to look a bit more vibrant at distance, without losing too much of the ninja feel. 

But first, despite it being Sunday, I have to go into work for a bit anyway. Stupid cell culture.... why can't they stop growing and needing feeding on weekends...grumblegrumble... :D