Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

I've actually been toying with changing the plan entirely on him, but I'm not sure what I'd do. It might just be that something isn't sitting right and I want to redo him, without the distraction of it being so split up in sessions. It may be that i strip him and repaint the same thing, or I might totally change the plan and play with transparency effects and such. That's quite tempting, as it's what I plan to do on the illuminated that's being fed on.

Also, I just bought fluorescent paint...

• Like 1

Who wants a laugh?

So far this weekend, I've ended up with Cassandra, my one finished showgirl, and all three depleted in paint stripper. Negative progress, woo!

Still, I've been intending to redo the two showgirl models for a while - want the crew to be a cohesive whole, after all. And experimenting with fluorescent paint didn't work initially, but I now know what to try next...

• Like 2

Ok, no update. Bad me....

There will be one this weekend though I promise. I have lots of time to do some painting.

In the meantime, here's something I've been pondering while bemoaning my lack of fluorescent paint - Is a malifaux crew worth more as bare material, or painted?

For instance, I have a metal Colette crew (box set plus doves and coryphee). I don't play arcanists, so to clear out the piles of stuff a bit I've been debating selling them.

In theory I could paint and sell them, or sell them primed black or stripped of paint, but what would they be worth in those states?

Tricky question, really.

Anyway, back to my painting table for tonight. Shang, I think...

Bypass ebay.  Set a price, and offer them up on here.  I bet you would get a taker. 

Incidentally, when one of my locals heard you were contemplating stripping your hungering darkness, he suggested you should sign the bottom, and send it to him, and he would send you an entirely new crew box.  He doesn't even care if it is finished.

I would sell them painted, especially since it is the old metal crew box

There are people (like myself) that are waiting for the new models to come out but wouldn't mind buying an old set, but only if painted well.

I thought could be a good thing to sell them on eBay, but both @Bruglyother and yourself suggest to bypass it. I would like myself to know why. Did you have bad experiences? Is it not worth it?

EDIT: grammar

Edited by MrG

Ebay doesn't have a great rep for selling painted minis, honestly. There's the difficulty in getting a sensible price, getting it seen, and so on. Plus I've had cases with small things where people tried to claim it hadn't arrived and demand a refund when I've got their signature on the delivery notice. WIth a big piece like a painted crew, I'd rather not have that!

Wow... In my experience, selling painted minis on eBay can be a VERY lucrative venture. In fact, some of the best painters i've known over the years are "professional painters", making their entire living off of painting minis and selling them on eBay and entering painting competitions. Of course, their prices go up when they can boast awards and other achievements, and word of mouth goes a long way, too. I had a model on eBay go for over $300 in a charity auction... It was well-painted, I'll admit, but nothing to your standard, Mako... It was mostly my name that got the price to go up, I think.

And I have never had people tell me that their model didn't get delivered or that it wasn't what was promised in the transaction. Nothing negative whatsoever. It just pains me to sell things that I paint, because I paint for me, not for any other reason. I just like painting my wargaming toys.  :D

I couldn't make a living at it. I'm not good enough, nor do I have the patience to paint full-time. But I know people who do. And I think you could make a VERY GOOD amount of money on a fully painted crew!

It's the final price you get that can vary - sometimes you get ones that go for great prices, sometimes they end up quite low. It's a bit of a wild shot at times, from what I've seen and been told.

Anyway, if I did do it I'd probably offer it on here first. But it's still really an academic question, as they're sat in a case primed black and I'm currently painting torakage :D

Not sure how I feel about selling anything! lol. 

Couldn't get rid of Misaki's crew though, for one thing I'm focussing on ten thunders, and for another she's a chronicles piece so a bit special to me :D

At least I've done their faces now, so it's clothing next.

• Like 1

Re: selling, I paint commissions pretty regularly at this point, make some decent money at at. Before that, I tried a bit on ebay (though I was worse at it then) and felt that the prices were very arbitrary and, unless I got a random piece way better than I expected, it was usually bargain hunters and not worth my time. Also, ebay buyers tend to be entitled and aggressive about mistakes.

If trying to make good cash eventually, put it up with a firm price somewhere. If trying to make quick cash, ebay w/o painting.

Here we go, actual painting from me! Torakage, with yellow demon masks for faces, and purple clothing. The outer robes will be grey probably.

Tora1_zps376686a3.jpg
Tora2_zps3a2f0890.jpg
Tora3_zps268a2fb1.jpg

Been doing a few other bits, but they're not really very interesting at the moment; I've been making a 1 inch long replica of a DzC rifle for a sculpt, and painted my infinity maruts with some basic colour blocks:

UM-3early_zpsc80ce6c9.jpg

marutsbasecol_zps2e231218.jpg

• Like 2

I don´t know much about selling miniatures, but have you thought about CoolminiOrNot?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

It seems to be more miniature minded, so it could be a bit more ..consistent? in terms of prices?

lol, not sure that sentence makes any sense, but what I meant was the price level might be a bit higher and at a more fixed level :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I've just realised how rubbish a job I did priming them, but oh well!

Will try to get them mostly done this week I think, then I can finish them and Shang at the weekend all being well. Aside from their bases, which aren't in any way sorted...

The purple is pretty simple (for once, I'm not using a random mix of stuff!):

Basecoat was VGC hexed lichen (nice deep purple), with a bit of black and VMC deck tan added to desaturate it a bit without making it darker or lighter. Shaded it down with black, retouched the midtone since I was waaay too heavy handed with the shade, then started adding in more deck tan to that original mix to highlight it.

Deck Tan is one of those 'couldn't live without it' paints. It's somewhere between bonewhite and blue grey, not really a warm colour but not totally cold either, more of a creamy grey. Fantastic for muting colours, and highlighting when you want to stay away from bright, clean white based highlights or warm ivory based ones.

The primer mess... I'll just paint over. It's a light dusting rather than a heavy coat, so it won't affect the final surface visibly. It'll be enough to key the paint to the surface, which is all I need from it.

If you need to retouch or clean up primer, you can try to brush prime over it with a few thin layers - usually I'd hand paint a black layer over the spray before starting anyway, so it has a solid colour I can repaint (spray black is not the same colour as hand painted black). Laziness meant I didn't this time, so it looks pretty awful even though I thought I'd got a solid coating.

If the primer coat is grainy though, it usually means a trip to the paint stripper though. Solid black primer coats aren't too important in the end as long as you take care to fully paint everywhere, so a light spray to key the surface is better than a heavy spray that goes grainy or clogs details.Solid white is more important to have, but again I'd typically hand paint a layer over the spray so it was even, covered everywhere, and was a colour I could paint again if need be.