Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Thanks guys! OSL is one of those odd things that can either go really well or really badly, I find. Very rarely just goes OK for me.

Something of a problem with Shar last night, but I did some repair work on her today. I now have to decide if I can fix the over-shading I did on part of the bodice, or whether she needs partially or fully stripping and starting again (not something I'd look forward to, but if it has to be done to balance out the shading and stitching...)

sharfeb17_zps6850a238.jpg

• Like 1

Bonkers as it may sound, yes I am. The shading unbalance, along with a few other bits I'm not totally happy with, all add up to me thinking that I could restart and do it better.

I'm not going to do anything for a few days, while I distance myself from it and can come back and look again, but the chances are I'll strip the dress and do it again, only this time cleaner, neater and without pieces of fabric I don't like, or a solid linear seam up the skirt, or the uneven shading. A fair bit would be redone as it is now, just without the little mistakes that are bugging me. 

They are little mistakes, I freely admit, and the majority of it I'm happy with. Those mistakes aren't easily fixable though without at least a partial strip, by which time I've stripped enough that I may as well just clear the whole thing and redo it with the benefit of extra knowledge...

• Like 1

You really have some guts and I admire it.

Those mistakes might be only visable to you, but I see where you're coming from and why it would bother you.

I've had a similar problem with something miniature unrelated, but never got courage (nor money) to break it down and do again... especially after getting praise for it.

Which scale is this model?

Btw. beautiful patchwork, but I'm just repeating what was said. I love the coherency between different colors in these patches. Only one that's not connecting is the bottom left one, but it seems unfinished, so I'm commenting on it too early...

• Like 1

Fantastic work Mako and stripping it pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff don't be silly it's obcence talent on display, but I'm just wondering when you're going to tell us that this mini is infact 1:1 scale and not very mini at all =)

Keep up the insane level of detailed work.

• Like 1

She's actually 54mm, so a fair bit bigger than the usual 32mm. Makes life easier, and is just big enough for me to try this trick. It is driving me nuts though, seeing all the little bits I wouldn't do on a second try.

I've decided she's going to get stripped - I'll clean the dress back and re-prime it, then I can use the photos I have to redo her without the bits I didn't like. I'll also save the shading and stitching for a single session each, that way they're consistent across the whole thing. I will be taking a break from her though, so when I start again I'm not still annoyed at having to redo her. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet and do something dramatic rather than try to patch everything up on the fly.

In the meantime, there's shang to do, and a bunch of other stuff. 

Much as I kind of like the idea of a sepia guild crew, web, I'm going to focus on my ten thunders and see if I can get the three crews I have for them sorted out. Two masters painted and nothing else isn't hugely useful!

Still not got myself in a place to strip and restart Shar, but in the meantime here's shang:

shangearlyred_zpsae4de2b0.jpg

Still a fair bit to do, but now I've started the red I'm at least getting closer to paints that cover properly. The yellow took ages. All I have to do now is work through red, purple and black, then get his base sorted out...

• Like 1

Thanks Linus! For a totem made entirely of fire, he's proved to be a lot of fun and probably a bit too time consuming. Still, it's a relaxing way to finish a day - just sit back and slowly dab thin layers of the latest colour onto him.

I need to get the rest of that box set sorted at some point too, Ototo is built but not greenstuffed, and the torakage are still on the sprue. 

I got a little distracted by a different project which is permanently on the table but gets slow work as and when I feel like it because of how much there is to do to it. Here's a slightly cryptic close up (because the rest in in a very dubious rough state):

clawsplaced_zpsc83f41cf.jpg

Probably worth mentioning that from heel to claw tip, it's a bit less than an inch long. Which explains why there's so much to do, since sculpting the final surface of that one paw will probably take an hour or so!

And for tonight's entertainment, I ran a pin through the ball and chain torakage's foot. It was... tricky. Ended up having to slice off the foot, drill up the leg to the knee to get to the thicker part, drill through the foot (as it sits on a different angle to the leg), then fit a pin and carefully file it into a shape that let the foot sit cleanly. Quick dab of green stuff and it's sorted, but that was a 40 minute delicate operation to give me a pin in the foot that reached a less narrow bit of leg!

Not that I don't love the model, but that was fairly exacting. Eyes hurt now...

Brave man pinning that delicate foot, Not sure if I've described this before, but I decided to try something else with those models, I just glued the smallest rare earth magnet to the toes and then drilled an appropriate hole in the base with a matching magnet in the bottom (here it's a sample), holds her in place quite well, but if flexibility is needed, say for transport, it doesn't cause any problem

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I have to say, Mako (hopefully I am not too late), that if you strip that model with the complex cloth bits, a little part inside of me will die. I really thing she is coming along beautifully!!!! I love your work on her!!

And I agree that delicate pinning, while very rewarding when accomplished and complete, is a nuclear pain in the ass to do. With Malifaux 1.0, I had to pin the wings of a pair of Young Nephilim to their backs, as the connections were just too damn small (and metal, of course). It was SUCH delicate and slow-going work, but they ended up looking fantastic. And, more to the point, secure.  :P

I also think Tombanjo's rare earth magnet idea is brilliant!

She's not been stripped yet monkeyboy, but she will be soon. Don't worry though, she's only getting stripped so I can redo that patchwork better than before! Well, similar to before, but without the bits I didn't make such good choices on  ;)

The torakage are now pinned up and ready for primer, as is Ototo (Only that one bent pin for the ball and chain torakage fortunately, so the rest was quick). And that magnet idea is great, I only tend to use them on things I want to be able to base swap, but that's a nifty idea to avoid transport damage too!

I've become a little distracted by various things again, especially an idea I've had for a painting contest Wyrd are sponsoring over on my second painting home, WaMP.

Hopefully I'll have an update tonight of a few little bits.

So, some purple on shang. I've not done all of it yet of course, and I'm still messing with the balance of red and purple areas, but progress anyway:

shangpartpurple_zps8c05a64f.jpg

And a very rough mockup of an idea I've had for Tara, facing down the unfortunate guard from the wendigo sprue:

taramockup_zpsa8d0b203.jpg

• Like 1

I'm ok with Tara's hand, it's useful for this little plan. The repose is proving a bit fiddly though, I'm still trying to get her to stand just right. Got to work on her ankles tonight...

Shang is coming out pretty well, isn't he - I'm pleased with him, though he is taking a ton more time than I thought he would. There's a lot of little areas to do, and some have turned out to be easy to miss. I'll hopefully finish the purple soon, then I can tweak the red and finish him up with the black. I suppose he'll need his base painting sooner or later too!