Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Heh, yeah. Though I probably started a bit mad anyway...

It's actually not too bad to do, it takes time but since I'm ok with things taking that much time when they're what I call 'cookie projects' (because they're treats for having done other stuff), I just do a bit whenever I feel like it and it ticks away steadily.

It's the stitching I'm most worried about!

Wow!! An outstandingly impressive portfolio of work, Mako!!!! I think we all aspire to your level of talent. Absolutely beautiful models!

This last one... with the patchwork bodice... you're really not right in the head, are you, to do this???  :P It looks unbelievably difficult, and yet, I reckon it's incredibly gratifying, as well. I really cannot wait to see her completed!! And more Malifaux, too!!!  :D

Cheers Monkeyboy!

It's not as hard as it looks, honest. Can get a similar effect using random patches of colour and a wash! I'm just going a bit more fiddly with the highlights and freehand, all of which is deceptively simple once you break it down into simple stages. It's the additive effect of it all that makes it look so complicated. 

Madness does help though  :D

As an aside, I just realised if I focus on the 10 Thunders and get what I have painted (including the beckoners/depleted for Lynch, who are technically neverborn of course), It will take my ModelTracker stats from:

Total: 110 models, 531 soulstones across 10 masters in 6 factions. 29% painted

to 47% painted. I really should get on with that...

Not a lot of progress this weekend, things haven't been very quiet and I didn't get much painting time. I have however done a bit of painting. Shar is progressing slowly (two panels of fabric and no shading is all I have to show since last time!), and I've used a plain bit of fabric for the first time:

sharfeb9_zpsb4963316.jpg

And by special request, I broke out my ice gamin and had a quick play with them. Only got as far as shading one, but it was an interestingly different shape than the ice golem and took a little thinking and messing to get the shading placed how I wanted. It's a similar technique to painting gems, with the shading at the top (where light passes through) and the highlights more towards the bottom (where light tends to gather, to the human eye). In a few places, like the top of the pectorals, I used sharper shadows to force it to look more like the golem, but mostly I went with the gemstone type shade.

icegaminshade_zpseb9d5859.jpg

They're a bit bright (which is what happens when I rush the processing and don't get the adjustments to the usual benchmarks I use), but hopefully you can see the shading around the little chap.

I spent ages trying to come up with something freehand for the dress, and this was all I could get to... In many ways, I kind of wish I hadn't though of it because it's taking forever, but oh well, what doesn't when I paint it :D

And careful where you wave that middle finger ;)

Incidentally, neither of you two can complain about my painting, you're both damn good painters too! :P

Edit: and I just realised I have Shar's sleeves to do as well... Aaargh

Just when I was getting to terms with how awesome the material looks like, you've added even more intricate patterns. 

The shading on Ice Golem looks very interesting too, can't wait to see more.

Oh, and btw - how did you manage to squeeze in two pics in your signature? ;)

The sig was a bit of fiddling - I made two small pictures about 120 pixels wide (with transparent backgrounds, as .png files if I remember rightly), uploaded them to photobucket, then inserted each one separately (it demanded a URL so I couldn't directly upload from the computer), linked them both to the threads, and set the whole thing to centralised. I'm actually annoyed at how huge it looks even though they're only 50 or 60 pixels high, might end up reworking it to get it smaller. Don't want to start a trend of huge signatures...

And thanks all! I'm currently debating a rework on that purple panel in the centre of the skirt as someone pointed out it looks similar to the other purples (despite me using quite different mixes). May have to redo that one, not decided fully yet.

• Like 1

I drink way too much coffee... I think my hands are more stable with it than without it now! There's a bunch of tricks to help with hand shake, I tend to rest my elbows on my thighs, touch the insides of my wrists together, and paint like that. It means my hands shake as a pair rather than individually, so it keeps the brush and model lined up. There's a trick to everything, knowing them is half the battle (the rest, unfortunately, is a ton of practice...)

And, because I can now put these photos up, here's my latest Chronicles piece:

seamusdone2_zpsd26be79a.jpg

seamusdone1_zpsa1c29f06.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers guys, I'm glad I at least got close to him looking like he's saying 'Good evening, miss' to some poor unfortunate belle-to-be...

The bag is magnetised to the cobbles Nagash (For those that haven't tried it before, I put that in the article too), I'm not that magic!

Cheers guys, I'm glad I at least got close to him looking like he's saying 'Good evening, miss' to some poor unfortunate belle-to-be...

The bag is magnetised to the cobbles Nagash (For those that haven't tried it before, I put that in the article too), I'm not that magic!

Not true,.. you make my painters confidence disappear all the time!!! ^_^

• Like 1

Yeah, but it didn't go so well last time I tried to saw a lady in half... :P

Glad you liked it monkeyboy, thanks!

I think that's my favourite green recipe I've ever used, incidentally. Not too vivid, but not too drab.

Yeah, the only thing I'm good at making disappear,.. is the money from my bank account