3 Week Mini League, Aug 16-30, RIW Hobbies Livonia MI

nerdelemental

Everything subject to change as I work out kinks (including the dates ~ pay attention here for changes!)

Right after Gencon, with a week to recover, we'll celebrate new stuff and new books and avatar manifestations and everything in a miniature League.

I plan to run it like a three round tournament per the Gaining Ground document (specific format TBD). It's only a three week commitment and each Tuesday you'll be paired against a different player. Pairing will happen at 7:00 and you'll get just one League game in on that day, leaving time afterward to play for fun.

Showing up late:

Showing up after pairings has some consequences but alternatives, too. Right off, you'll be assigned a loss. However, if there's an odd number of players, and there's time to get a game in for the evening, you'll get paired up that way. We don't use a strength of schedule system, but trying to maximize a system by going in strong but forcing a bye play, or showing up late with your buddy in the car so the two of you can play just won't fly, but I'm not anticipating that kind of stupid shenanigans anyway.

$5 buy-in all goes to prize support.

I'm encouraging interested players to pre-register and pre-pay by the end of July: If I have enough cash and predicted player participation I might be able to come up with something cool from Gencon as prizes for play.

Prize placement will be determined by overall participation but I hope to offer something to a player that plays every week but still doesn't manage to place high, that sort of thing.

Hope to see you out!

Respond to this thread to pre-pre-reg. (gives me an idea about what to get!)

Edited by nerdelemental
Create a snappy title for Glenn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in.

But where's the usual quirky, snappy title of a nerdelemental/bobbybrady event? "3 week mini league" = worst name ever...:lame:

So true.

Dropped the ball.

Rectified!

See, it's so clever because of the word "mini". What is that referring to? the size and scope of the league, itself, or a reference to the type of game? So complex and yet so simple. Meanings within meanings....

;)

I would like to sign up. Is painting required or rewarded? Asking because I am not going to Gen Con but will probably order stuff from the Wyrd site, and wonder how long I will have to paint.

What time does Malifaux play usually start at RIW? I work closer to the store than home so I would definitely come after work and look for a pickup game so I am not sitting on my hands until 7:00pm.

Thanks!

Brad Schwandt - Malifaux noob

I would like to sign up. Is painting required or rewarded? Asking because I am not going to Gen Con but will probably order stuff from the Wyrd site, and wonder how long I will have to paint.

What time does Malifaux play usually start at RIW? I work closer to the store than home so I would definitely come after work and look for a pickup game so I am not sitting on my hands until 7:00pm.

Thanks!

Brad Schwandt - Malifaux noob

We usually have people start showing up at 6. Games usually start up around 7.

Brad,

it'll be great to have you up!

JMP has it right, of course, but as we get to know you, you'll probably be able to arrange an earlier game if you need to. 5:00 probably at the earliest. We do a lot of BSing at the beginning of the night (and all throughout, really).

And, no, no painting requirements. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping that one of the weeks of this league we all play or proxy an Avatar presented in the book - so even if you don't have one!

Dave,

I see no mention of how many soulstones. Have you decided that yet?

Der. Good point.

30-45 decided per game, per table. If players cannot decide equitably and quickly among themselves then we'll default to 35 stones.

Is that doable or is there the potential for something broken I'm not considering (by allowing a game size variable)?

Starts week after next and I'm pretty sure we have enough people for me to try to get something interesting from Gen Con for prize support.

If you've been up to RIW in the past few weeks you've probably heard me mention that I'm thinking about the Nightmare Lady Justice box and breaking it up for winning participants. As I head out soon for GC, is there any different kind of support you'd like to propose? different models (like the alt masters)? RIW Store Cred? Sweaty man-hug from Bowen?

Working on the scenarios, and what not this week hopefully I'll get them posted up by next week.

Proxies for unreleased models will be allowed. Also to account for proxying I'd like to try and keep everybody at 40 Stones. It's a bit more forgiving when you want to experiment with new ideas.

Josh is the man!

Come up Tuesday, tomorrow. Seriously. Even if you don't want to play and you only have fifteen minutes to stop by. I have the Dead Justice stuff (hopefully assembled and based), a number of Avatars to show (and probably will offer one as a prize for our mini-league-tournament!) and a butt-ton of Terraclips (which looks far better on the table than you'd have predicted from last year, I promise!).

Book 3, of course, too!

Plenty to talk about and gawk at.