Ortega - First Crew

Moondog

HA HA. Love killing these models every Thursday. Must say they do look good in real life too!

Ha! You wait until get Yan Lo and his skellingtons after you!

Just seeing this thread for the first time, there's a lot of cool stuff in here! I like how your greens turned out, it's a colour I often struggle with.

Cheers! I'm getting a bit sick of it now.... the later models haven't turned out as well but a change in crew and colour should help motivate me hopefully!

• 1 month later...

Nice. Really like the little freehand flowers. How long did it take start to finish?

Thanks, not really sure but I've been doing it on and off since I last played Yan Lo on the last Thursday I played him. How long is that? You should start your own thread here, you've got some ace stuff. You were quick replying!

Need an idea on how to break up Yan Lo's cloak and ideas?

Need an idea on how to break up Yan Lo's cloak and ideas?

Meh. Just finished one http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/97304-dgrazs-new-painting-thread/?p=840098 and he's not a very interesting model. Some free hand certainly helps (or painting rough spun stitching texture on him if you're a psycho like Mako.....his Chronicles Yan Lo was ridiculous)......if I didn't have such a strong concept for the crew's color coordination (with lots of white) I would have probably tried to break him up with some blocks of color in a pattern.....maybe something similar to this example worn by Richard Chamberlain in the Shogun mini-series:

shogun-richard-chamberlain_zpsgbsyfnnt.j

Good luck with him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great painting throughout.  Are those freehand flowers on Chiaki's dress?  If so, they are amazing.  I think her eyes look like they're open a little too wide, but maybe I'd be surprised if I started playing a flute and suddenly the puddle I was standing in exploded ;).  The depth of that blue you are using is just amazing.

• Like 1

Cheers argent, I have been practising freehand. They were OK but still something is not quite right with them. Also I have real difficulty painting eyes now, must be an age thing! They are a little wide but I couldn't face doing them again after continuously having to re-do them after mistake after mistake!

OK well after a major mental block where I just couldn't think what to do with all that empty space on Yan Lo's cloak and while browsing for inspiration I found a great tutorial - thanks! http://fantasygames.com.pl/blog/random-faces-tutorial/ I probably overdid it a bit with the flowers but hey everyone likes flowers even the undead right?

Yanlofinal.jpg

You can also vote for him here - http://www.coolminiornot.com/383304

• Like 5

I love the bold choice in palette - they all look great.

Can you take a close up pic of the freehand?  It looks incredible and I'd love to get a closer look.

Well the 'secret' is that it's not neat at all. if you look up very close as you see below (not too great a picture as the photo has gone a bit blocky due to the camera) it's a bit messy with bits of thinned white paint spreading out in a few places. This is because the start of it was simply me painting in lots of thinned randomly placed paint splotches and lines. Once you have done that, just look at it and see if you can see any skulls / faces start to appear, and then start to fill them in slowly with white and deepen things like the eye sockets with the base colour. It's a technique I learnt following the tutorial here http://fantasygames.com.pl/blog/random-faces-tutorial/

yanloclose.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got some Ashigaru painted!!

"Thy soul shall find itself alone
'Mid dark thoughts of the grey tomb-stone --
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy:
Be silent in that solitude
    Which is not loneliness -- for then
The spirits of the dead who stood
    In life before thee are again
In death around thee -- and their will
Shall then overshadow thee: be still."

Edgar Allen Poe (1829)

ashigaru.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Toshiro, letting it all hang out! The blue theme is very pleasant and unifying, do you have a group shot of the crew so far?

Thanks! No group shot sorry. Once they get varnished they are never the same and I tend to varnish each one as I go in order to game with them. I may do a final group shot shortly though.

OK, Izamu is here! Not 100% pleased with it, especially with they eyes (I wanted dead eyes - clouded over white - not sure I achieved that) but I must crack on with making the crew so no going back!

izamufinal.jpg

Edited by Moondog
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...