Hello from Wales

Moondog

Hello all,

I used to play miniature games a bit having played quite a few Games Workshop games probably over about 6 or 7 years ago. I was quite into painting then too but had a big break where I didn't do any gaming or painting. So after a 6+ year gap I picked up one of my old models and started painting again and liked it.

I used to hang around www.coolminiornot.com quite a lot. Browsing the galleries again I randomly saw a version of Perdita painted by Wren and thought it was a very cool model (Wyrd do have some really cool models). Around about the same time a little game store opened in my town (this is real novelty as my town is pretty small!) and I wandered in and sitting on the shelves was a boxed set with Perdita in.

The store manager said you only needed a boxed set to play a complete "army" and the games usually lasted no more than 1 hour depending on size. Well one thing I am short on is time (you wouldn't think so with the amount of rambling on in this post though!) and I am a really slow painter so I thought this game looked ideal. I had an extremely quick demo game another day and it seemed really fun so I bought the Perdita box set and the rules.

I don't get much free time and travel on the weekends so haven't had a chance to play another game and although I read the rules it's not really a substitute for learning by doing. I did find a youtube video which introduced the rules and was quite good but I only found that one. Is there anything else like that about?

If I have any really newbie questions where is the best place to post them? For example activation and alternating activation between you and your opponent is very new to me as I am used to whole turn games like Warhammer. I am not 100% sure about activations and triggers either.

I have started painting my crew though and almost finished one model, although I am pretty slow. It's fun.

perdita.jpg

I have probably typed far too much, thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Welcome to the wyrd side of life moondog. Thats a nice looking perdita you have there.

This is one of the friendlier forums about so feel free to ask anything.

For rules/games queries your best bet would be the 'malifaux matters' section where there are sub sections for each of the rulebooks and also faction sepcific areas for all your faction needs.

Minature matters is the place to post to show off your work/blogs.

Have fun and enjoy malifaux...just beware of children offering sweeties!

@ Clousseau - don't forget Mid Wales where myself and DeSteele are from :D

Moondag, welcome to Malifaux,, the best pubs are behind the Guyild Houses since they only look out the front windows and miss out on the best places to drink. Look out for big toothy teddy bears (offer them a cookie and they leave you alone) and if you see a Showgirl, give them a soulstone (they'll love you forever if you do). I hope you enjoy your stay with us :)

And to to repeat Clousseau, what part of Wales are you from? I'm in Powys, as are a few others that play Malifaux.

And to to repeat Clousseau, what part of Wales are you from? I'm in Powys, as are a few others that play Malifaux.

I'm in Powys, near the border with England and close to Newtown, Welshpool, and Shrewsbury at the moment but I could be moving to South Wales in a while.

Thanks for the welcome and invite to see the Cardiff tournament. Oh just saw it's this weekend. Can't make it unfortunately but was a cool idea.

@ Clousseau - don't forget Mid Wales where myself and DeSteele are from :D

Moondag, welcome to Malifaux,, the best pubs are behind the Guyild Houses since they only look out the front windows and miss out on the best places to drink. Look out for big toothy teddy bears (offer them a cookie and they leave you alone) and if you see a Showgirl, give them a soulstone (they'll love you forever if you do). I hope you enjoy your stay with us :)

No idea you were Welsh ...

@ Dumb Luck - Yep, I'm Welsh, born and bred. Where are you the Henchman for? For all I know you could be someone I already know in real life (it is a small world after all, lol).

@ Moondog - do you play at Frontline Games in Welshpool at all? A few of friends of mine (Dave, Andrew, Gareth, Phil, etc) along with other people I know play there. I don't head up often but keep meaning to.

I live in Newtown.

@ Dumb Luck - Yep, I'm Welsh, born and bred. Where are you the Henchman for? For all I know you could be someone I already know in real life (it is a small world after all, lol).

@ Moondog - do you play at Frontline Games in Welshpool at all? A few of friends of mine (Dave, Andrew, Gareth, Phil, etc) along with other people I know play there. I don't head up often but keep meaning to.

I live in Newtown.

I'm the Henchman for Cardiff mainly but I have ventured up into the vallies for a demo once.

I haven't really played yet, but I know the place, Is Dave the owner? I think I have spoken to Dave and Gareth. Seems a cool place.

Yeah Dave owns the place. He is a cool guy, as is Gareth and no doubt either of them would be willing to teach the game, but I think Gareth is more familiar with it, Dave seems to refer to other people in context to the game, lol. You may also remember Gareth from his days as a slave for the Dark Side (GW) in Shrewsbury if you ever went in there.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the gaming Sundays before, but if you can head down to one of them I'm certain someone will show you the ropes.

Welcome to the insanity! Always good to see more Welshies on here, we will soon take over the world!

I am from North Wales (wrexham) but have simply not had time to play for a long while now, and with the arrival of a new baby tomorrow i can't see me finding any free time to start again either!!

But if I ever do get some free time, I may head down to Welshpool way to visit the store and they can give me a quick refresher!!

Yes I know its embarrassing...almost 3000 posts and can't remember how to play! But once you get to know the forum, you'll realise most of my posts are just random chat!

Anyway, welcome, enjoy....glad to see Guild membership. Don't accept any sweets, and always carry Dettol for when the filthy ressers are in town!

;)

Abs

Thanks very much all! Seems a friendly and easy going forum which is cool.

Absolution Black or LonelyPath or anyone if you are planning a game in Welshpool Frontline Games then give me a shout if you want. I can't guarantee I'll have learnt the rules fully by then but I am trying! I don't tend to have much free time especially on the weekends which is a major barrier to my gaming but I am going to see what I can do. I am off to paint cacti. Have fun.

I'm still pretty new to the game myself and still learning, but most people I know that play are still at some stage in the learning process, lol. I might be up at Frontline this Sunday or the Sunday after, depends on my health at the time... Oh, and whether or not I can afford to buy more models (I always end up spending money when I go to that shop, lol).

Hi and welcome! It does definitely sound like Malifaux is the right type of game for you. Also thanks for showing off your painting, it looks great! As you've already seen we have a great friendly forum with a ton of helpful people, and as you've noticed, quite a few UK players. You never know, you could find your name gaming group here :D

• 5 years later...