Malifaux Club Tournament

magicpockets

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One concern would be that EVERYONE would have to be able to speak English to a reasonable level. Knowing Europe as I do that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but just throwing it out there

Doh! That might rule out several of the canterbury players ;-)

I'm provisionally interested, location is going to play a large part in seeing if we can get enough people to travel beyond kent.

The idea does sound great though.

Obviously it's difficult to organize an event like this, and it's reasonable to have doubts. However, it is even harder to organize the clubs from other countries for a trip, so, if you may decide sooner, it'll be great. In Spain we only have one henchman and the game is centralized in a forum. If you want I can make a popular consultation here to see if there is enough support or not. Koali can do the same in Germany, I think.

Probably, we speak English as the Indians in westerns, but as Koali said, all of us are playing with the game in english.

Just call it the ETC and copy what H/WM started last year ;)

Sad to say I have not idea what you're talking about Craig :(

Re Europe, IF we were to look at it the best case would be a rules pack and tourny which was organised and run by someone in each country, with a final held in the UK which competitors had to get to on their own dime.

In essence it wouldn't affect the UK version of this, we'd just have an extra tourny after to decide an overall winner.

Alternatively, if large scale interest isn't there, we could just open attendance to any club in Europe and we'll help you arrange travel, accommodation, airport transfers etc so you guys didn't have to worry.

Could I suggest posting on your forums about the idea and getting back to this thread with feedback and likely numbers?

It sounds like an ok idea but I dont like the rare or unique rules. If you going to have it be a tournament to try and find the "best " club then there should be no rules other than normal tournament rules. If you want to add random house rules then market it as a gaming day or something but not as a tournament.

Will see if Cross gaming club is interested but I think alot of people will be turned off by those house rules.

It sounds like an ok idea but I dont like the rare or unique rules. If you going to have it be a tournament to try and find the "best " club then there should be no rules other than normal tournament rules. If you want to add random house rules then market it as a gaming day or something but not as a tournament.

Will see if Cross gaming club is interested but I think alot of people will be turned off by those house rules.

It's a tourny to find the best team, not the best group of four players scoring together - so rules will be designed to apply across the team.

By limiting rare/unique and restricting strategies across teams etc you make how well a team can play/work together an important part of the overall mix. Plus don't forget that everyone is in the same boat so it doesn't give anyone an advantage or disadvantage.

Be great if Cross are interested (especially as some of our club supported your event) but I understand if you choose not to get involved - after all it's a tough line up and winning won't be easy... ;)

I understand where you are coming from with it being a team game so rules apply to the team. Still not a fan of it but I can see your reasoning. I just fear people with a limited section of models will be turned off.

I will see if the Cross are interesting but of course without a date or location its pretty hard to gather support for a two day event.

Any thoughts on rules for painting ?

I will see if the Cross are interesting but of course without a date or location its pretty hard to gather support for a two day event.

At this stage just an in principle "yes we're interested" is all that I need, I'll try an co-ordinate dates etc with the organiser of each team later.

Any thoughts on rules for painting ?

This is a tough one. I Personally suck at getting stuff painted and am in the "tournaments are about winning, not sportsmanship or painting" camp, however I know that painting matters to a lot of people.

So the question is whether this is a results led tournament or an all-inclusive "hobby" led tournament with sportsmanship and painting points. What do people think - is having a win led scoring system okay with just a prize for painting?

And jumping the gun, just so people know where they stand, I feel proxies should NOT be allowed for unreleased models - significant given book 3 is due soon. You play with what you've got ;)

Edited by magicpockets

Ok I will post on the cross forums later today and see if there is any interest. Hopeful everybody is interested and we can bring two teams. As I Lucius player I am laying claim to all of the Cross's Austringers. :)

Painting is a tough choice. I have been in tournaments which give you extra soulstones for having a painted crew. Which has been a nice incentive to get stuff painted (although I still never get everything finished for the tourny) and has not unbalanced the game as it was only 2 ss to use at some point in the 3 games.

I dont think you should get VPs for painting but I do feel there should be a best painted prize. Painting is a large part of the hobby so should be praised but should also be kept separate from the actual game results.I actually really like tournaments where everything has to be painted as they look great but I know people arnt fans.

Not a fan of sportsmenship awards as they are to easy to abuse. Again maybe as its own award but dont make it have an effect on game results.

Hmm proxies are a hard one, I used proxies for guild hounds in my last tournament and nobody had a problem. I think as along as the model looks like what it is proxing and is painted (easier to see ). Also you should only be allowed one proxy, again make it easier to keep track of.

But I feel this will depend on when the tournement is. If the book has just been out for a few weeks and I would say no to book 3 stuff as its to new for everybody to get a look at.

Ok I will post on the cross forums later today and see if there is any interest. Hopeful everybody is interested and we can bring two teams. As I Lucius player I am laying claim to all of the Cross's Austringers. :)

Painting is a tough choice. I have been in tournaments which give you extra soulstones for having a painted crew. Which has been a nice incentive to get stuff painted (although I still never get everything finished for the tourny) and has not unbalanced the game as it was only 2 ss to use at some point in the 3 games.

I dont think you should get VPs for painting but I do feel there should be a best painted prize. Painting is a large part of the hobby so should be praised but should also be kept separate from the actual game results.I actually really like tournaments where everything has to be painted as they look great but I know people arnt fans.

Not a fan of sportsmenship awards as they are to easy to abuse. Again maybe as its own award but dont make it have an effect on game results.

Hmm proxies are a hard one, I used proxies for guild hounds in my last tournament and nobody had a problem. I think as along as the model looks like what it is proxing and is painted (easier to see ). Also you should only be allowed one proxy, again make it easier to keep track of.

But I feel this will depend on when the tournement is. If the book has just been out for a few weeks and I would say no to book 3 stuff as its to new for everybody to get a look at.

Be great to have you guys involved - especially as you've got some good players iirc? I think proxies and painting is always going to be tough, but we've got time for people to share their thoughts so lets see what the vocal majority say.

Be sure to post in the other thread with how many teams you're suggesting - and thanks for spreading the word. :)

Also, bear in mind the restrictions wont affect a lot of players, as I imagine a lot of teams will be bringing a crew per faction, so faction specific models limitations on Unique and Rare wont factor for them. It's only really the Outcast options that are affected, e.g. Jack Daw and Misaki.

So should not be too limiting overall whilst still bringing together the team element of the tournament Magic has emphasised.

Also, bear in mind the restrictions wont affect a lot of players, as I imagine a lot of teams will be bringing a crew per faction, so faction specific models limitations on Unique and Rare wont factor for them. It's only really the Outcast options that are affected, e.g. Jack Daw and Misaki.

And don't forget it limits Masters...

yes ofcourse, cant have 2 Pandora's in a single team! I would suggest the best team approach, as has been suggested by some, would be to have 1 player per faction in the team. Little to no pressure on Rare/Unique choices then. Although each individual team's approach to their make up of crews/factions is part of the fun of team play!

yes ofcourse, cant have 2 Pandora's in a single team! I would suggest the best team approach, as has been suggested by some, would be to have 1 player per faction in the team. Little to no pressure on Rare/Unique choices then. Although each individual team's approach to their make up of crews/factions is part of the fun of team play!

I don't want to insist on faction choices as there's no fluff reason for this and also it isn't fair on players who have all bought into the same faction but different masters - i.e. one has Ramos and another has Collette meaning they have distinct models but one of them can't use their first choice crew.

All sounds good, always up for another tournament. Agree with magic on not limiting faction but limiting rare/uniques - means every guild crew will not be toting nino and an executioner *rolls eyes* also won't see 4 pandoras etc.

Time to get some more practice in...

1 Poxy is usually a good call, as allows players that have spent a lot of time theming and changing their models (all female vicks crew for instance) to use a single proxy increasing their options but whilst not taking the piss. (think at the last tournament someone used a model to represent their insidious madness and that was a pretty cool.)

Edited by Pox

Could I also recommend we add a no unreleased leaders (masters or henchmen) restriction. This is for two reasons;

It's difficult to practice against unreleased leaders, meaning player can get blind sided. There's also an increasing trend in master have abilities fixes as they're released, making them potentially less balanced before they're released.

Could I also recommend we add a no unreleased leaders (masters or henchmen) restriction. This is for two reasons;

It's difficult to practice against unreleased leaders, meaning player can get blind sided. There's also an increasing trend in master have abilities fixes as they're released, making them potentially less balanced before they're released.

James I agree 100% with your idea, and its a big part of the reason I dont think any unreleased models should be allowed - take Rat Catchers with the change from 8 wds to 6wds, that made a huge difference to Hamelin.

I don't want to insist on faction choices as there's no fluff reason for this and also it isn't fair on players who have all bought into the same faction but different masters - i.e. one has Ramos and another has Collette meaning they have distinct models but one of them can't use their first choice crew.

But we won't be playing as individuals. The tournament is aimed at finding the best team, not the best group of Neverborn (insert faction as appropriate) players. Surely it is quite legitimate to be looking for some degree of breadth?

As for fluff reasons, well you can create fluff for anything you want. Requiring as many different factions as players would allow you to enforce avoid intra-faction scraps.

I think the availability of models within a team will be much less of an issue than in individual tournaments. I would expect folk to share models within the team (and they should be encouraged to do so) and within most clubs there would be enough variety to ensure that crews weren't handicapped by lack of availability of particular models.

I think this is a great idea and personally, I would love to come. A visit to the UK is way overdue and this way, I could kill two birds with one stone :-)

Is there at the moment any idea or indication about when (and where) the event is going to happen, like this summer, this winter, next spring...

Would be nice to be able to give my boss at least a hint on my vacation plans already.