Malifaux Club Tournament

magicpockets

Okay, after talking about this with various people I'm posting to see if there's any wider interest in a team based club tournament to find the best Malifaux club in the UK. (No date or venue has been set yet, I'm just gauging feedback for now)

Here's an outline of the idea -

1) You submit a team of four players from your club for the weekend tournament.

2) Over six rounds we play club-vs-club (i.e. all of Cranfield vs all of Harrogate in one round) and you rank based on the score across your team.

3) There are no restrictions on which master/crew each player has to use for each game - however the rare and unique rules apply to the whole team. One Bad JuJu per team, two Coryphee per team... you get the idea.

4) Table placement is random, we'll draw player vs player by chance - there's no guarantee your best player will face your opposing clubs best player.

5) Each team will get four strategies between them and will allocate one per player. No scheme may be repeated across a round in the same team, but the same schemes can be taken every round if people choose.

6) I'm thinking a cash-prize and bragging rights for the 1st place team and we're also in talks for a very substantial spot prize which anyone could win if fate favours them...

Let me know your thoughts on the above and whether its caught your interest - to make it work we'd need either 5,7 or 8 teams.

Ideas, questions and the like always welcome.

Edited by magicpockets

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic,

So we are talking about individual strategy then....unless both players in any given game facing each other have chosen the same strategy.

Is it worth considering a max of each player being able to choose a single strategy twice over the tournament? Some crews have strategies which are very easy to win, so if they take the same one each game, that may not balance overall as well? Just a thought.

Overall I think this is a great idea. Just need to A) choose a location most convenient to majority of clubs and B) encourage UK clubs to get involved.

Other things to consider too ofcourse, but based on the team element, it may be worth encouraging teams to have a back up player should one of the players be unavailable to take part at short notice?

Just some food for thought.

I like it.

Might be better as 3 players per club as it's easier to arrange. Then if they have a reserve it's one car load of people.

Maybe make it so each club can only bring the same faction once. So no club can bring three Neverborn masters for example.

- James

I think 4 is the right amount. I'd also be intrigued as to a doubles tourney, whereby you choose your master, and some games you team up for a brawl with your team mate and others you play alone.

I also think Maelstrom would be the best venue, despite it not being the best for me :P

I reckon with tweaking of the rules you've outlined it could definetly work, as to how many a team, I reckon...4...just cos that's what Hordes/Warmachine do for their ETC (Which is in 3 weeks...can't wait!)

Only issue would be at some of the larger clubs, there might be 6-8 players wanting to play. What would your stance be at two teams from the same club. Just giving you an idea of what you might end up facing

Craig - There is already a possibility of a Malifaux Doubles tournament at Maelstrom during August/September. I'll let you all know when thats arranged

Could be interesting.

For the larger clubs maybe 2 teams would be a possibility (as not many clubs could manage 6 players or more, and the numbers per team would need to be even). So certainly 3 or 4 per team, up to 2 teams per club.

Maelstrom's not a bad idea for a venue as it is reasonably central, though a long way for the London & Welsh clubs.

Only issue would be at some of the larger clubs, there might be 6-8 players wanting to play. What would your stance be at two teams from the same club. Just giving you an idea of what you might end up facing

Craig - There is already a possibility of a Malifaux Doubles tournament at Maelstrom during August/September. I'll let you all know when thats arranged

Malifaux Doubles tournament ey, might be interesting prospect..:guns:

I'm having to sort out the doubles thing at the moment. But its kind of a warm up for the GT you could say.

Supposed to be kind of fun. Doxey and I are still set on the idea of you being tied to your partner :P

Maelstrom may generate two teams, i dunno. I just wanted to put it out there as a possibility. I might be Jesus but i don't think many teams will want me in it :D i'll drag down their average :lol:

If you get a lot of interest then it needn't all play off in a single event. Maybe a Northern and Southern qualifier would allow more/larger teams, and reduce the distances folk would need to travel. I can be pretty sure of a team from Leeds, and Leeds Wargaming Centre would probably be happy to host the Northern event.

I do agree, that 5 members, each playing a different faction would be the most satisfying way to identify the ultimate Malifaux team (though this makes for a lot of games). At the least, as Mythic suggests, we should limit teams to a maximum of one of each faction.

If teams had additional players then is their any reason why players couldn't sub in and out for each other? We are looking for team performance after all.

Edited by Serigala

Whew thanks for the feedback everyone :)

I'm cautious of trying to do too much for the first one, although if the numbers support it there's no reason to not look at qualifiers (I'd be surprised if we got enough teams though).

I'm not sure about the idea of forcing factions on teams as this isn't very "real world" - I think Craig's idea (ukrocky) from when we first spoke about this to limit unique/rare across the team would work and be more "realistic"

I love Malestrom as a venue and would be more than happy to hold it there (presuming they're cool with it etc). Having said that, our club near Milton Keynes could work too as we're on the M1 for the northern lot and it's drivable from Canterbury (who have some very good players), Wales and London.

I see no issue with multiple teams from a club, although internally you'll have to decide whether you group the strong players together for the win or spread them out so you get a good mix.

Re dates, what do people think to December - say 10th/11th?

Just some comments on this. I love the idea that unique models are unique for the whole team though I would like to see a player for each faction being represented (So 5 player teams) with the option of swapping players out if the teams are a little too big. Or even playing a doubles team

Great Idea...

How about opening the Tournament to Europe...

maybe some Clubs from Denmark, germany, Poland, France or Spain would like to join... :)

Making the Thing like a small ETC in Warhammer... :)

Could work if there was interest, we could even have the same in each state in the USA with top 3 Euro and top 3 US teams playing in the final ;)

This would be a lot of work to organise, although if you had one person as a coordinator, and a lead in each country/state to take over organising of venues etc, this could be a very successful event overall.

Maybe run it on the bases of prize for each winning team in each country for the qualifiers, then 1 overall prize for the worlds winning team! so you get something for winning in your country/state and something even better for the world. Gotta have real trophies involved for that. Preferrably ones to keep as too awkward to try and hand over a cup trophy year to year by country to country.

Something like this would no doubt get support from Wyrd as this is getting the game out to the world.

Obviously, UK being the centre of the world (map) the final should be played here (a bit of a tease there maybe :laughing:)

WIth cheap airfare we could work something out. One concern would be that EVERYONE would have to be able to speak English to a reasonable level. Knowing Europe as I do that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but just throwing it out there

Since the game is in english... there should not be so much players that are not able to speak that... :)