Perdita v Lady J - Catfight, go, go, go!

Sholto

Mark had painted up his Lady J crew, I had just assembled Taelor and had painted Jack Daw, so it was on. 25ss of fierce, hat-wearing ladies and their minions, and arse that isn't going to kick itself.

Mark had:

• Lady J and Hat
  • Executioner and Hat
  • 2 Death Marshalls
  • The Judge
  • Scales (totem)

I had:

• Perdita
  • Jack Daw
  • Taelor
  • Guild Austringer

We both choose these before we started the game.

We flipped for diagonal deployment, with a Creepy Structure. Lady J had Distract, and announced Assassinate. I had Supply Wagon, and announced Stake A Claim. I choose the pub as the terrain piece for Stake A Claim.

Perdita was forced to deploy first, and I set up the wagon with my small crew on either side. My plan was to throw Jack Daw into the middle of the table and see what happened. Yes, technically that counts as a plan. Perdita would hang back along with the Austringer, and then Perdita would make a run for Lady J's deployment zone and the pub in later Turns. Taelor would clean clock on anyone coming near the wagon.

Lady J deployed opposite, with a Death Marshall and Scales on the raised street and the others down below.

Perdita_v_LadyJ_1c.jpg

(The building here is the pub I have chosen for Stake A Claim)

Turn 1

Not much happened. I got no :masks in my control hand (so no Obeys for me, which is annoying because I love Obey). I realised I didn't want the wagon reaching the middle of the table on Turn 3, so I plonked Perdita in front of it. The Austringer moved up onto the Creepy Structure. Jack headed mid-table.

Perdita_v_LadyJ_3.jpg

Turn 2

I got Initiative, and Jack popped his "aura of no cheating". Still no :masks in my control hand. I was fortunate to get high :tomes in most of my control hands to let me get Jack's aura spell off every Turn. This is when Lady J realised she had very little that could hurt Jack - only one ranged spell and no magic weapons. It would be either Focused Strikes or triggers like Decapitate.

Perdita_v_LadyJ_4.jpg

Perdita moved over to the left flank and exchanged shots with the Death Marshall. He missed and I got her Faster 'n You trigger off to cause even more damage.

Taelor dropped back to butt-block the wagon while the Austringer sent a bird out to do nothing and then Interacted with the Creepy Structure to no effect.

Disgusted with what the Austringer was doing to that Structure, the Judge did 3 wds to him.

Turn 3

I got Initiative again, and popped Jack's aura with another high :tomes cheated in (although still no :masks). Jack attacked the low Wp Executioner (everyone else in Lady J's crew having +2 Wp against Undead Jack) and did damage and also managed to drain 3 cards from Mark's control hand.

On the left flank Perdita killed off the Death Marshall, but hung back. I didn't want to get within melee range of Lady J, nor within the 6" Jack aura.

The Austringer hid, and then Interacted again, netting me 2 soulstones. Oh, yeah!

Taelor went Defensive Stance and the wagon went nowhere.

The Executioner wailed on Jack, and managed to get Decapitate off, but I had the cards to discard and kept Jack alive.

BTW - I had had the Black Joker in my hand since Turn 1, which made using Jack a whole lot more comforting.

Lady J raced past Jack and up the steps, facing off against Perdita.

Perdita_v_LadyJ_2.jpg

"Don't make me take my earrings off, bitch," Perdita said, but this catfight was happening.

Turn 4

Once again, I won Initiative. Both this turn and last Mark had burned a soulstone to reflip, and got the Black Joker both times! This Initiative flip was the real game decider, though. If Mark had won, Lady J would have charged Perdita, and probably won the game there.

I activated Jack Daw, and floated him over to Lady J, and then popped his "no cheating" aura. I got very lucky with placement, here. Perdita was more than 6" away from Jack, but it was impossible for Lady J to charge Perdita without remaining within the aura. Not only that, but she had Terrifying 13 with no cheating and a disengaging duel with Jack to worry about before she could get 'Dita.

It was at this point that the sheer annoyance factor of Jack Daw became clear to both of us. He can completely shut down powerful models with very little effort.

Perdita_v_LadyJ_5.jpg

Lady J passed the Terrifying check (using some :+fate from her totem) but failed twice to Disengage from Jack.

Elsewhere, the Austringer interacted twice with the Creepy Structure, but got nothing.

Taelor charged 6" and ended within 3" of the Executioner. She was more than 6" away from Jack, but he was not... Her two strikes were enough to kill him, and as he was >2" away from Taelor, he could not make his Slow To Die attack.

The remaining Death Marshall and the Judge killed Taelor with shooting.

Perdita opened fire on the group that held Lady J, Jack and the Totem. She got a hit on Lady J and then two hits on the Totem, killing the Totem.

The wagon moved up at the end of the Turn, reaching the middle of the table. It was unprotected.

Turn 5

Hey - I have :masks in my control hand! I counted 32 cards in and out of my control hand before I got a single :masks and then three turn up at once :)

I won Initiative again, and had Jack Daw put his aura back up. He attacked Lady J, but did nothing.

Lady J activated and got away from Jack on the first attempt. She moved as far as she could, but could not get out of Jack's aura. Her attacks against Perdita were resisted with cheating on my part.

Perdita retaliated with Execute (I had a :masks finally!) and two shots from the Peacebringer. Cheating and Soulstones that Lady J could not match killed Lady J.

Jack Daw - the only way Perdita can beat Lady J in melee ;)

For a final flourish, I used my last :masks and a soulstone to Obey Jack Daw - he floated down and got within 1" of the wagon. Due to the rules of Supply Wagon, no-one can attack the Supply Wagon while a model of mine is in melee range of it. Jack Daw + Supply Wagon = nasty.

The Judge killed the hiding Austringer.

The Death Marshall activated, tried to Charge Jack and failed his Morale Duel, Falling Back immediately.

Turn 6

The Judge shot at Jack, but I had plenty of cards to discard. After that, Perdita was free to move into the enemy deployment zone and deny Lady J her Strategy. We called the game at that point.

Result: 4VP - 0VP. Win for the Guild (err, for Perdita).

A good game, but possibly a very frustrating one for Mark. It was the first time either of us had seen Jack Daw on a table, and he is certainly worth his 9(10)ss in the right situation - I was just lucky this game was definitely the right situation :)

Edited by Sholto

I was grinding my teeth the whole game! To be fair as you said, had I got initiative on either of those turns Jack wouldn't have so much of a concern but that aura is HELLISH, especially when he's next to your master, who can do very little about it!

Jack seems like the king of bad matchups, against the wrong crew he could actually be a hinderance to you but against what I was fielding he was solid gold! Wish I'd brought 'tina! Was good to see him in action though, he always struck me as a curious model and now I think I'll probably have to buy him.

My plan for the Death Marshal was to charge Jack and then hopefully stay in melee with him to pine box him the following (and last) turn so the Judge could wail on your wagon, sadly the marshal had obviously seen what happened to Lady J and decided to leg it instead :( Moving Jack into melee with the wagon with obey was a very smart move which I didn't see coming. I hate obey!

Good game though, it's always fun when the outcome hangs in the balance like that.

Also, nice crotch shot.

Good report. That was an interesting read. Jack Daw shows how lethal he is. Surprised you went that long without a :masks in your control hand! and 2 Black Jokers for initiative!!

Consider the synergies Jack Daw has with crews that force opponents to make lots of duels without being able to cheat (Pandora for example!), and synergy with crews with lots of cards (Hamelin) that you can afford to discard with to keep him alive.

A Master within his 6" aura effect range is a soon to be dead master...you need to get them out of his aura range and quick!

If by "interesting" you mean "randomly assembled from the minis I hadn't used yet and wanted to field", then you are indeed correct :)

Seriously, there was no deep tactical thought in the list, but if you can find any I am happy to take any and all credit for it ;)

If by "interesting" you mean "randomly assembled from the minis I hadn't used yet and wanted to field", then you are indeed correct :)

Seriously, there was no deep tactical thought in the list, but if you can find any I am happy to take any and all credit for it ;)

Ah. Well then you picked the right master to try them out with.