Malifaux, #5 minis game in the industry

pigi314159

...at least according to sales data from ICv2.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20179.html

Considering Wyrd is behind the juggernauts that are GW and PP, (and only having a live game since gen con 2009) I think congratulations are in order!

YAY WYRD!

...anecdotally it seems like there has been a surge in popularity lately. I feel like there was a slump where a lot of us who used to play stopped due to lack of players or real life or being accosted by vicious Onryo, but I see a lot of posters on the fourms coming back to the game. Additionally there seems to be an influx of new blood, which is always awesome.

But all I can say is, keeping on trucking Wyrd guys! ...and can I suggest the marketing strategy of increasing popularity and buzz by showing us Gen Con plans? :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good news as this is the first time I have seen Malifaux in the ICv2 top five lists but these results need to be taken with a bit of salt since ICv2 doesn't specify how they gear this data and have in the past had RPG ranges conflated in the list.

What is more important to take from this is that whatever the actual sales volume, Malifaux is on the minds of players and, more importantly, retailers and distributors. When a retailer calls his sales rep at a distributor and the distributor can talk up a game or is familiar with it then you are more likely to get a sale or get stocked.

Mind share is an important thing to gain and it is easy to convert that into sales and players.

...anecdotally it seems like there has been a surge in popularity lately. I feel like there was a slump where a lot of us who used to play stopped due to lack of players or real life or being accosted by vicious Onryo, but I see a lot of posters on the fourms coming back to the game. Additionally there seems to be an influx of new blood, which is always awesome.

Rules. Manual.

Actually, GW raising prices at random again seems to have pushed a lot of people locally into looking into other game systems (me in particular). Granted, I'm wishing I had looked into Malifaux more seriously before now that I'm in, but that seems to have been the big tipping point for a lot of folks. That and the ridiculously low buy-in, we've got five people with starter sets of their own and I just did the first demo last week.

Actually, GW raising prices at random again seems to have pushed a lot of people locally into looking into other game systems (me in particular). Granted, I'm wishing I had looked into Malifaux more seriously before now that I'm in, but that seems to have been the big tipping point for a lot of folks. That and the ridiculously low buy-in, we've got five people with starter sets of their own and I just did the first demo last week.

That's excellent news.

I imagine that given how recent the GW rises have been, any influx of players probably has not been fully felt yet. Granted that is likely to benefit PP as much as Wyrd but still.

Could be wrong as I don't know how this poll works as such.

With WFB dropping I'd put it down to the current rules set that has crippled many of the armies in the game. In my area I only know of 1 person that still wants to play WFB, the rest have taken to playing 28mm Warmaster (myself included). GW are ruining themselves by insisting on having people like Mat Ward write for them, the fans generally don't like his writing, but the bosses love his annoying fan boy and game breaking approach.

Meanwhile, Wyrd seems to be much closer to the fan community and listen to their wants and needs, developing the game to keep it how the players like it, not adding new twists that shut out the majority (AKA - those who've been playing for a while). At the same time, Wyrd keep the game affordable for new gamers to come in and pick it up with minimal investment.

As I stated in another thread on here, WFB now costs at at least £300 to get the recommended army size they suggest, meanwhile I picked up a 28mm Warmaster army for roughly £70 for the same points value.

Its good to see wyrd and Malifaux sitting up there on the top table. I amongst many others have seen the slump of GW and know they are on the slide. But thats not in anyway to detract from Wyrd who have produced one of the most innovative, fun and varied games i have played. Its a painters dream too and i think that does a lot to brin in the high number of wargamin couples we see too.

Congrats to all t wyrd for taking a risk and making it pay off. Heres to many years of fun ahead.

I'd agree with this. Last time I wandered into my FLGS was just after the price hike and after seeing the prices I bought 1 GW model rather than the 3 I had planned on getting, and that's probably all the GW I'll be getting for a while. My next purchases will all be Malifaux instead :)

Its kind of difficult to argue with the price when a starter set for Malifaux is only half again as expensive as a single resin model from GW.

Good point. I also think the release schedule and knowing whats coming helps, as it gives people a reason to keep checking the website.

Actually, GW raising prices at random again ....

Nothing 'random' about it anymore. They've actually been officially calling it the 'Annual' Price Increase for at least the past two years now.

I'm very happy to see that Wyrd is ranked #5. What I'd be curious to know however, since Warmachine and Hordes are basically the same game/world/system, is how their combined totals compare to those of 40k.

It is good news as this is the first time I have seen Malifaux in the ICv2 top five lists but these results need to be taken with a bit of salt since ICv2 doesn't specify how they gear this data and have in the past had RPG ranges conflated in the list.

What is more important to take from this is that whatever the actual sales volume, Malifaux is on the minds of players and, more importantly, retailers and distributors. When a retailer calls his sales rep at a distributor and the distributor can talk up a game or is familiar with it then you are more likely to get a sale or get stocked.

Mind share is an important thing to gain and it is easy to convert that into sales and players.

This is a very important point. ICv2 is not a very reliable source of information only accounting for the sales numbers in certain stores and only in the states, right?

This is a very important point. ICv2 is not a very reliable source of information only accounting for the sales numbers in certain stores and only in the states, right?

I have no idea what their methodology is. I don't think they have ever reported it and detailed how they come to these lists.

I have no idea what their methodology is. I don't think they have ever reported it and detailed how they come to these lists.

Like Oscar Wilde said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." No matter the fallaciousness of their research demographic, Malifaux is there on a top tier list alongside Privateer Press and Games Workshop, which translates into free advertisement.

No matter the fallaciousness of their research demographic, Malifaux is there on a top tier list alongside Privateer Press and Games Workshop, which translates into free advertisement.

True but some more rigorous data or even a glimpse into how the game is performing compared to other titles is useful as well.

Polls like this are a double-edged blade. Its good promotion but if people aren't confident of the data then they can dismiss it as well.

True but some more rigorous data or even a glimpse into how the game is performing compared to other titles is useful as well.

Polls like this are a double-edged blade. Its good promotion but if people aren't confident of the data then they can dismiss it as well.

Its a good thing you're already playing the game then isn't it?