Mutiple totems?

oldoneeye

Question

was looking at my cards today and looked at my Mechanical doves, Essence of power and Collette.

Here is the question...

If i build a list taking Collette with the Essence of power attached can i later in the game cast Trick of the Hat to summon a Mechanical Dove that is also a totem attached to Collette?

2 answers to this question

This has been asked before here's how i understand it:

You have essence currently attached to you and in play (not buried/dead), you cast the mechanical dove spell as normal once it has been completed (all requirements met) instead of the dove coming into play it *fizzles*.

If the essence of power is buried(disappearing act for example) when you cast the spell the dove comes into play as if you didnt have a totem connected and can act as normal. When for example disappearing act ends in the closing phase if you still have a dove in play the essence is then sacrificed.

How'd I do Ratty?

Edited by Tiny
Grammar

That is how I understand it.

You can only have 1 Totel in play unless the rules for the Totem say otherwise (i.e. the Doves).

So you can recruit your crew with the Essence, but can only summon doves once the essence is no longer in play (either killed/sacrificed or buried). If at any point a totem is brought into play, and one is already in play that prevents the new one due to the max amount allowed, the new one fizzles and is not brought into play.

Doing as Tiny mentioned above is a good way to using the Essence early on and then bringing in Doves when you need them.