Official tournament proxy rules

CrouchingMoose

Question

I know that wyrd really prefers all of the models being used in an official tournament be officially released models, but what should a player do when they have a swarm model that could show up in large numbers (ie. Gaki, mindless zombies) and wyrd has only released a few sculpts for those models. I know most people on here don't like having duplicate sculpts on the table if possible so they don't look like cookie cutter models.

Is wyrd ok with using proxies in an instance where you allready have 4 gaki ( official sculpts) on the table and you now need to use a 5th similar looking model from another model line?

16 answers to this question

I'm guessing that conversions are expected in these cases.

This might get you somewhere with Gaki, but unfortunately for some other lines, eg. Bayou Gremlins, the models are such specific and unique poses that it's really hard to customise the number of models you're likely to need :-(

Mike

All I really did for the telescope guys is to put a different bit on the base. I put some rock bits on the bases, too, which I varied, as well. It's not much of a 'conversion' (especially for the ones looking down the barrel and leveling the gun), but it lets me tell them apart.

(Can't seem to get a pic up. Probably my techno-barbarian nature causing me troubles again.)

Edited by Gremlin Swarm

I'd be interested in seeing your alt gremlins. I can see the banjo guy getting a few different variants, but I've no idea how to start converting telescope guy and the one holding up the rifle.

Mike

Dido... I'm contemplating picking up a second blister so I can play summer properly.

As for mindless zombies, if you really are playing that many I'm sure the store henchmen will look the other way, and their are a ton of other brands. Until Wyrd start doing major sanctioned tournaments it really comes down to their rule.

For CCG in my area our store tournament person started allowing printout proxies just to speed thing up and remove the 30 minutes of people asking if they can borrow cards from each other. our group is not that bad when it come to this sort of stuff on the weekly stuff. but the big tournaments its by the book because its a fully sanctioned tournament which counts for major stuff. In L5R the winner of the Kotei you get to get to make changes to the story line and make your own cards for the next set (within reason). but if its just the usual gang on the bi-weekly tournament its very lax, and everyone remembers its just a game. Also everyone appreciates people who try new ideas to see if it works.

As spelled out in the gaining ground rules to the left there:

Proxy Rules

In an Official Tournament, proxies (substitute models) are not allowed under any circumstances, nor can a player enter a tournament with a model that has not yet been released to the general public. For local tournaments, the TO may allow proxies if they are deemed appropriate representations of the Wyrd model.

Conversion Rules

Conversions are an excellent way to show off your modeling skills. In an Official Tournament, original sculpts are allowed if the TO deems them to be accurate representations of the models portrayed. If using a model that was converted with manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished model may be built using other game companies’ models, while the rest must be either wholly or a combination of original sculpt or Wyrd-manufactured pieces.

Edited by goblyn13

Thanks for confirming the official line Goblyn.

Regrettably, with such conversion unfriendly models, Wyrd leaves those of us who arent professional sculptors (and who might want to play in an official tournament) with no choice but to use multiples of the same figure two or even three times in a crew :-( In my opinion the characterful Bayou Gremlin models lose some of that character when they're not unique.

If Wyrd could squeeze another 3 Mindless Zombies and another 4 Gremlins into the release schedule (at some point) it'd be helping a lot of people out!

Mike

Is it permissible to use another Wyrd model that has been "converted"? Currently thinking the Living Impaired from the Twisted line for mindless zombies or Imps from that same line for terror totos as examples. Unless major conversion is done using other Malifaux models could cause some confusion, but the Twisted line has no rules associated and therefore are easily seen as proxy types.

Is it permissible to use another Wyrd model that has been "converted"? Currently thinking the Living Impaired from the Twisted line for mindless zombies or Imps from that same line for terror totos as examples. Unless major conversion is done using other Malifaux models could cause some confusion, but the Twisted line has no rules associated and therefore are easily seen as proxy types.

Seconded. This would be great in my case since it would give a lot more options with Living impaired, plus those seem like they could be converted much more easily than normal mZ

The Conversion rules just say that no more then 33% of the model can be from another company and that they model has to be easily identifiable as the model in question. So using other Wyrd models is fine as long as you alter them to look like the model you want.

I have been toying with the idea of putting all the male Ortegas in drag and making them extra Belles for Seamus.