Malifaux VASSAL Module (Video

oconlan

Hi All,

Over the last few nights I've been working on a Malifaux module for VASSAL. It can't be released until I get appropriate copyright clearance, but if you're interested there's a video and more details here -

http://www.farfaraway.org/blog/2011/05/24/malifaux-vassal-module-video/

Comments welcome and if anyone from Wyrd is interested in this please PM me.

Owen

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic to see this out, I hope you get the OK. I only get to play real games once a week, so getting more Malifaux in is always good. You have made it look really nice and clean. If I was going to make some suggestions it would be to make some buttons for +/++/+++ (same buttons can be used for -ves) so it makes drawing easier. you can set the cards up to be positioned in a specific place. You can also automate the reshuffle once the discard pile is put back into the deck.

Thanks for the supportive comments. The main aim is to get players playing more games.

If I was going to make some suggestions it would be to make some buttons for +/++/+++ (same buttons can be used for -ves) so it makes drawing easier. you can set the cards up to be positioned in a specific place. You can also automate the reshuffle once the discard pile is put back into the deck.

Agreed on both of those suggestions - they'll find their way into the development plan.

Owen

I would love to see an example of a game done on this as a narrated video so that people can understand how to play the game.

Honestly there is very little in this that is protected besides the cards which... could be changed to an ordinary deck of cards.

If you had plane tokens of the three sizes that could be named what you want i.e. daydream1, daydream2 etc

You would need all the protected materials to play (which is a good thing) and not have much of anything to worry about in terms of infringement.

Agreed. It would help the playtesters too.

My experience with the Warmachine module is that it offers an authentic experience of the game, but is (subjectively) about 75% of the real world experience. With a 2D Gods-eye view you miss out in the nuances of LOS and some of the subtleties of very precise movement. That said it is still very competitive.

Owen

I would love to see an example of a game done on this as a narrated video so that people can understand how to play the game.

Honestly there is very little in this that is protected besides the cards which... could be changed to an ordinary deck of cards.

If you had plane tokens of the three sizes that could be named what you want i.e. daydream1, daydream2 etc

You would need all the protected materials to play (which is a good thing) and not have much of anything to worry about in terms of infringement.

I'll sort out a narrated gmeplay video, but it'll be a few weeks (my wife is due a baby next week).

All of the above is possible in the current version (plain, but name tokens and I created the card artwork). The original cards wouldnt work well as players may be zoomed out.

The main copyright limitation exists in the terrain artwork. This comes from the Warmachine/Hordes module. This would need to be replaced before a public release.

Owen

That's awesome, good luck finishing it off. I for one hope to see a Malifaux mod soon, and would love to see a community online using it.

I'm currently working on an infinity mod, but that hasn't got a large following so I've stopped bothering on the update. Hope you can get yours finished!

I don't want to agree or disagree on this idea until Wyrd decides, but I will say that I played Hordes on Vassal a lot. I have almost every Troll model made (that came out before Malifaux) so it certainly didn't hurt my buying. It was a great way to get a fix when life kept me from getting to my LGS.

why not set up a code system with wyrd , where you can only field models you actually own . Add a code to the figures packaging .

But I can also see this helping the community in buying models as well , try them out on vassel than buy the ones you liked by play testing .

why not set up a code system with wyrd , where you can only field models you actually own . Add a code to the figures packaging .

But I can also see this helping the community in buying models as well , try them out on vassel than buy the ones you liked by play testing .

thats a lot of coding for a not very effective protection scheme in my opinion.

Mostly this shouldn't be needed anyhow as you'll need either the book or the mini (for the card) in order to actually field the token on vassel that represents the mini.

Vassel is set up pretty nicely to be nothing more than a representation of the pieces so that you don't break copyright very often unless you put Malifaux on the back of the cards and use the mask, feather, etc. As such it is a fantastic way to get to play online.

Not as useful/pretty as a fully kitted tool, but easier to set up and actualize with minimal coding/legal complications and can even make the game producer happy as it can boost sales.

Here's another video, showing some more progress.

http://www.farfaraway.org/blog/2011/06/05/malifaux-vassal-module-v0-25-video/

I'd like to get the damage tracks working, but I believe the module is fully playable at the moment. I've been in contact with the relevant copyright holders and I have the go ahead to use the terrain and appropriate counters from the Warmachine/Hordes module - big thanks to Benjamin Boyd for that. I've been in contact with Nathan too.

More news when I have it...

Owen

looking great. The card draw mechanic is working well, and different deployments are sorted out, which is good. One thing which would be good for you to do now is scaling. You need to make sure that it will fit on a smaller screen, so make sure your cards are not too big, otherwise it is going to be difficult to manage your hand. You set this all at the start and the artwork needs to fit with this, so it is worth noting.

One thing which would be good for you to do now is scaling. You need to make sure that it will fit on a smaller screen, so make sure your cards are not too big, otherwise it is going to be difficult to manage your hand. You set this all at the start and the artwork needs to fit with this, so it is worth noting.

Scrolling is going to be an issue. In the Warmachine/Hordes module you end up zooming in and out a fair bit (even on a high res display). You need to get in fairly close for the miniature movement. I tried to design the cards to be visible when zoomed out.

Owen

• 2 weeks later...